PDA

View Full Version : fat and more...

Phillip Allen
08-10-2009, 05:47 AM
MMike is right, we’re fat…certainly I am fat…it’s late in the year but I’m going to try to re-start my de-fatting plan again.

With that in mind and because I now have a truck to carry my canoe in, I am thinking of some solo river floats. Last year when I stayed on SV Airle, I discovered just how frail I’ve become…that, I hope, will be amended and more.

Some simple overnighters might go a long way toward restoring my self confidence…

Mrleft8
08-10-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm fatter than I've been since high school.... A "spring and summer" of nothing but cold weather, and rain, combined with no paying jobs, and other stuff, has led me to a state of lethargy and sloth.

Phillip Allen
08-10-2009, 06:37 AM
If I were any slothier, I'd have to sleep hanging from a tree limb

bob winter
08-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I am lucky, my appetite went south a couple of years ago and I am lighter now that I have been for years. No featherweight but certainly less than 190. At one point I was pushing 250. I would be lighter but as Lefty notes the weather has hardly been condusive to much in the way of outdoor activity. The rain and constant cloud tend to make me go into some sort of funk.

elf
08-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Boy, could you teach my appetite to go south, bob?

It would be really helpful.

bob winter
08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Wish I could, elf, but it just kind of happened. I could have some sort of wasting disease that I am not aware of, but I think the reason is more likely the loss of a great deal of my sense of smell. Sense of smell has a lot to with the sense of taste so a lot of food tastes pretty much like cardboard to me. I have also developed an adversion towards most bread, mainly because of the texture. It has to be a pretty damned good bread before I am inclined to eat very much of it.

My father lost his sense of smell at about my age so I guess it runs in the family. Has it's advantages.

Mrleft8
08-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I lost about 25 pounds last autumn...... I wouldn't recomend that particular regimen though....

brad9798
08-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I thought when I quite drinking that I would lose weight ... I actually gained weight ... what's up with that?

Oh yea, I actually eat food that is not liquid now! ;)

BrianW
08-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey now, we may not all be thin, but some of us overweight folks do a whole lot more adventuring stuff then some skinny folks.

When I was 175lbs and running 4 miles a day in the 101st I had a gut. ;)

Just the way it is.

Overnight boat trips are just plain fun, and any mental side effects are just a bonus.

B_B
08-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Boy, could you teach my appetite to go south, bob?
my appetite goes south everytime I do...

paladin
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Well....I lost 65 pounds in short order........shortly after the heart attack......started dialysis 3 1/2 weeks ago.....down about 23 pounds already....I lose about 5 pounds per session due to water removal...and gain most of it back...keeping off about 1 lb. each time...so I'm wasting away into nothingness......and I've changed my diet again.

Chris Coose
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm pretty mammalian. Come fall and the holiday season I ("MY! You've had a prosperous winter Chris", my sweet grandmother used to exclaim.) tend to gain.
Over these autumnal years it just don't go away by wishing it to. but I do have a psych trick that works good in the summer.
I never say to myself, "I am going to lose some weight."

I say, "Today is the day I stop gaining."
It might take a few days to get that bird off the ground but it never seems to fail.

switters
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
MMike is right, we’re fat…certainly I am fat…it’s late in the year but I’m going to try to re-start my de-fatting plan again.

With that in mind and because I now have a truck to carry my canoe in, I am thinking of some solo river floats. Last year when I stayed on SV Airle, I discovered just how frail I’ve become…that, I hope, will be amended and more.

Some simple overnighters might go a long way toward restoring my self confidence…

go upstream to the takeout, :D

John Smith
08-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been waiting for some weather that would encourage me taking my boat to the local lake and rowing it around a bit. Or just going places that I'd do some walking.

It's been raining, threatening to rain, or too damned hot.

I am down to 285 from 312. I gained a lot over a couple of years where I just felt "****ty" in a very non specific way. That passed and I've managed to get a little active with grandkids. I rarely have seconds, gave up white bread, and drink, other than a V8 most days, only water and black coffee or unsweetened iced tea. Every time I step on the scale at the doc's office, I weigh less than the last time.

If I can keep this up, by next summer I'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe; damned. even losing weight is expensive.