PDA

View Full Version : A people question

John Smith
08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I never watched the show before, but the family was watching an old "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with Regis.

One of the "lifelines" is to ask the audience. The audience was fairly equally divided on this particular question, and it made me wonder why anyone who wasn't absolutely sure of the correct answer would push a button, guessing at it.

WX
08-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Because a guess is better than no answer at all?

John Smith
08-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Because a guess is better than no answer at all?
Not for the audience who's been asked to help the contestant.

He's got to choose from 4 possible answers. Doesn't know the answer, so he asks the audience.

If you are in the audience at that moment, and you don't know the answer, why not just let the people who do know the answer push their button.

I see no reason why anyone in the audience would guess.

People are strange.

PeterSibley
08-09-2009, 05:51 PM
It may be a studio direction ....to help stuff up the contestants , the show really doesn't want to hand out big prizes regularly .Confusion makes entertainment and that's what the show is selling .

WX
08-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I see your point, maybe the person in the audience just wanted his/her few seconds of fame:D

Peerie Maa
08-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Because it's TELEVISION.

John Smith
08-09-2009, 05:56 PM
It may be a studio direction ....to help stuff up the contestants , the show really doesn't want to hand out big prizes regularly .Confusion makes entertainment and that's what the show is selling .
I think the lifelines are authentic. No reason to think otherwise.

I strongly suspect the big prize is underwritten by some insurance company.

Other "ask the audience" moments, huge difference in answers, like one would get 76% from the audience, and other three got the remaining 24 among them.

I certainly wouldn't, as an audience member, guess at that moment.

Just struck me kind of strange.

Peerie Maa
08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
No insurance company. The programme is funded by all of the punters phoning in on a high charge line in order to pass a selection process to get on the show.

(a) The call cost for entry via the telephone in accordance with clause 1(a) above is 60 pence per
minute from a BT landline (calls from mobiles and other operators may be higher) (on a per
second basis subject to the minimum charges of Contestants’ respective telephone service
providers) lasting no longer than 2 minutes (save for in the case of those who are deaf or hard-ofhearing
for whom separate conditions apply and Contestants should apply to Typetalk for details).
(b) The cost for each entry via the Internet in accordance with clause 1(b) above is a flat rate of
£1.00 which must be purchased prior to entry with a Switch or credit card. A maximum number of
ten entries (“Credits”) may be pre-purchased at the same time. The Credit will have been spent
when the multiple-choice question appears and the countdown starts. Notwithstanding premature
termination there will be no refund of monies spent.

PeterSibley
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Actually , my suggestion was that everyone HAS to thumb their button ,even if they have no idea .

seanz
08-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I've seen wide shots of the audience when it's "ask the audience" and they all seem to be answering. Just judging from the answers, I'd say it was compulsary.
:)

The Bigfella
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I've seen wide shots of the audience when it's "ask the audience" and they all seem to be answering. Just judging from the answers, I'd say it was compulsary.

... do they shoot you if you don't answer?

PeterSibley
08-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Nah ,they just tell you you can't come again ...scary if you're the kind of person who wants to be in a TV game show audience .....:D

seanz
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM

No.
If they did, I wouldn't miss an episode.

Compulsory....as in "these are the rules, if you're in the audience, you follow the rules".

The best thing I've discovered about Millionaire is that it can be watched with the sound off and it actually improves the experience.
Very important for the Australian version.
Unfortunately, there's nothing that could help the Kiwi version. Having the screen and the sound off just means it's unbearable.

Peerie Maa
08-10-2009, 06:34 AM

Perhaps the audiece seats are wired to the mains? The voting button overrides a timer that closes the circuit.:eek:

Mrleft8
08-10-2009, 07:09 AM
The same reason that people will respond to a WBF thread, and with absolute confidence, give erroneous advice.