PDA

View Full Version : hey paladin

Phillip Allen
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
hi im Meghan. THANKS for the rocks my rock collection is growing every day.there wonderfull

Phillip Allen
08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I wanted to say thanks so much.

paladin
08-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Be very careful with those "rocks" when you polish them...you may find one or two that would look really good faceted.
and you're welcome...

Phillip Allen
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM
(its Phillip) We took an experimental rock,based on safety as I had to hold it with my fingers, and cut facets on the brick saw (new diamond blade) and tried to polish one of the facets with my gun barrel polishing stuff...too hard to be cut very easily and cutting dry with my fingers holding it limits over heating.
We'll have to wait untill we get better stuff...she says she's happy with them just as they are though...bug grin on her face

Mrleft8
08-07-2009, 08:43 AM
I thought facets were supposed to be cut with a chisel type thingy....

paladin
08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Did I mention that those rocks are hard.... .9 on the mhos scale....the only thing naturally harder is diamond and one other crystal. It's aluminum oxide with a bit of chromium inside.

Phillip Allen
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I thought facets were supposed to be cut with a chisel type thingy....

what I consider my common sense has always told me that the "cutting" with a blade is only to get it to workable nuggets which must then be ground into the final shape...think about it...all the chisle could do is to cut (fracture) along a naturally occuring fault. The trick is not to cut waffers and to minimise grinding lose by having to give up odd projections and the like...in the end diamonds are sold by the pound...after having been peeled

Michael Beckman
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Rocks huh..

I just received a bunch of rocks from the sea floor off of Tonga. They were 2 days old when I got them, so around a month old now. They smell like sulphur, and are slightly radioactive. Very soft, easily crumbled in the hand. But still very cool to me. Most of them have pyrite visible on the surface, so they're sparkley. Let me know if you want a small one, I'll throw it in the mail when I get back home.

paladin
08-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I also have another similar rock, about the size of a Goose egg.....same material with traces of Iron and titanium, which results in a gray color....When infused with chromium, the rock is a ruby, and when any other color except red, it's called a sapphire, which can be pink, orange gray or black or almost any other color. I wanted to have a "Buddha" machined or carved from it...but no one seems to have the capabilities to properly cut it.

Phillip Allen
08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Meghan are sitting here and reading...she says thanks again Chuck...she really loves them

(she carries the little bag around everywhere...I keep reminding her to leave em alone or she'll lose them...she's beginning to see the light AND still has them all)

she's reading over my shoulder and insists she really likes them!

paladin
08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I'll dig back into the bag Sunday (I have to go dialysis tomorrow) and see what else I can find.

Mrleft8
08-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Dialysis?...... Better watch out Phillip! He's gonna send you kidney stones!:D