PDA

View Full Version : Reds are the New Confederates

Osborne Russell
08-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Those dang Southerners

By Kathleen Parker / The Washington Post Writers Group
Posted: August 6, 2009

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090806/OPINION12/908060356/1002/OPINION/Those+dang+Southerners

Not all Southern Republicans are wing nuts. Nor does the GOP have a monopoly on ignorance or racism. Nevertheless, it is true that the GOP is fast becoming regionalized below the Mason-Dixon, and becoming increasingly associated with some of the South's worst ideas.

----

A telling anecdote recounted by Pat Buchanan to New Yorker writer George Packer last year captures the dark spirit that still hovers around the GOP. In 1966 Buchanan and Richard Nixon were at the Wade Hampton Hotel in Columbia, S.C., where Nixon worked a crowd into a frenzy: "Buchanan recalls that the room was full of sweat, cigar smoke and rage; the rhetoric, which was about patriotism and law and order, 'burned the paint off the walls.' As they left the hotel, Nixon said, 'This is the future of this Party, right here in the South.' "

That rage was on display again in 2008, but this time the frenzy was stimulated by a pretty gal with a mocking little wink. Sarah Palin may not have realized what she was doing, but Southerners weaned on Harper Lee heard the dog whistle.

----------------

The curious Republican campaign of 2008 may have galvanized a conservative Southern base, but it also repelled others who simply ran the other way. Whatever legitimate concerns the GOP may historically have represented were suddenly overshadowed by a sense of a resurgent Old South and all the attendant pathologies of festering hate and fear.

(emphasis added)

The pitch now is "A true American is a Confederate in his heart; and the Yankees are coming." Believe it or not, this soon raises the question, was the civil war about slavery?

Sarah Palin got her neo-Confederacy the same place as the rest: insistent repetition and hostility to critical thinking.

Meanwhile the dog whistle goes out to the dark spirit. These tea parties and the Town Meeting Sturmabteilung are the pre-cursors of the next civil war. These people believe in heavy breeding, they need their own Utah. Still, there's that darn constitution, and the Union, every place you turn. Gonna have to do something about that. Let's see -- another Mexican war? Cuba? Nicaragua? We could work up a pre-emptive on Cuba. We've done it before. Old Jeff Davis himself tried it.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Wow Osborne...you certainly don't sound biased at all...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-06-2009, 08:46 AM
"but Southerners weaned on Harper Lee heard the dog whistle."

If they were weaned on Harper Lee they would not hear the dog whistle.

However, they obviously were not weaned on Harper Lee, but on something much less healthy, if they do hear a dog whistle.

Mrleft8
08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
"Was the civil war about slavery?" Not according to the books I read in school.... According to them it was about industry, economics, and agriculture.

Osborne Russell
08-06-2009, 09:12 AM
"but Southerners weaned on Harper Lee heard the dog whistle."

If they were weaned on Harper Lee they would not hear the dog whistle.

However, they obviously were not weaned on Harper Lee, but on something much less healthy, if they do hear a dog whistle.

Yeah, that was a mis-step.

Osborne Russell
08-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow Osborne...you certainly don't sound biased at all...

This for you is the meat of the matter, and the easy way out.

Osborne Russell
08-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Norman, I don't get the connection between your quote and the south.

I overheard while washing the dishes that the Birthers are overwhelmingly southerners, and the reason is the wide spread of the theory of the Yankee conspiracy theory of world history, silent and implacable as the solar wind, sometimes erupting into brief but spectacular displays.

Osborne Russell
08-06-2009, 09:18 AM
"Was the civil war about slavery?" Not according to the books I read in school.... According to them it was about industry, economics, and agriculture.

Hm, what might slavery have to do with those?

Bruce Hooke
08-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Bizarre.

Yes, there are a lot of Republicans in the South, yes, I disagree with many of them on many points, yes, to be successful in coming elections the Republicans need to extend their reach beyond the South. However, the idea that we are heading towards another civil war strikes me as quite absurd. Yes, many conservative Republicans are very unhappy about the current administration in Washington. I remember a lot of Democrats being pretty angry about the previous administration and the country did not explode.

I don't agree with what I consider to be something of a "dirty tricks" campaign waged by some conservatives who would like to derail the current administration, but I also don't see it as the start of a new civil war or anything anywhere near that extreme. Furthermore, trying to brand conservative Republicans as basically the equivalent (or rebirth) of the old racists of the 1950's South strikes me as just as reprehensible and furthermore quite useless as far as trying to start any real dialogue and mostly likely to stir up more anger and division, which is exactly what we don't need unless we want to increase the sense of division in this country and further anger those who are not in power right now.

John of Phoenix
08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Bruce:
I remember a lot of Democrats being pretty angry about the previous administration and the country did not explode.

That's because reds have all the explosives. ;)

High C
08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Somebody's been watching too many movies. :rolleyes: 'cept Bruce...good on ya, Bruce. :)

bobbys
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
The pitch now is "A true American is a Confederate in his heart; and the Yankees are coming." Believe it or not, this soon raises the question, was the civil war about slavery?

Sarah Palin got her neo-Confederacy the same place as the rest: insistent repetition and hostility to critical thinking.

Meanwhile the dog whistle goes out to the dark spirit. These tea parties and the Town Meeting Sturmabteilung are the pre-cursors of the next civil war. These people believe in heavy breeding, they need their own Utah. Still, there's that darn constitution, and the Union, every place you turn. Gonna have to do something about that. Let's see -- another Mexican war? Cuba? Nicaragua? We could work up a pre-emptive on Cuba. We've done it before. Old Jeff Davis himself tried it...

[first lines]
Osborne Russell [voiceover] Bilge... ****; I'm still only in The bilge... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.
OR: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse.
[grabs at flying insect]
OR: I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Sarah breeds in the bush, She gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter. .

OR. The walls are closing in on me and the "birthers" are out there, Lurking, Throwing Tea around, Getting stronger in the south, Plotting against me, Another minute here in the Bilge there getting stronger and im getting weaker and losing my mind, Yet there out there and waiting..........

And Breeding.......

Osborne Russell
08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I not sure I buy the notion of a relationship between any concentration of Republicans in the south, and any 'Yankee/confederacy' thing. I'd say there's probably more correlation with anti-intellectualism and religious fundamentalism at play here... they don't call it the 'bible Belt' for nothing.

The geographical correlation is high, that's the point. Climate?

Osborne Russell
08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
.. And Breeding.......

She wants a yard full of kids . . . she think's my tractor's sexy . . .