PDA

View Full Version : US Navy Drill team

J. Dillon
08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.whc.net/rjones/USN/USN_team.html

That lieutenant better not have any of those sailors pissed at him.;)

JD

David G
08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Like baton twirlers... with bayonets. Very cool.

Paul Girouard
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
They're good! I was on a similar drill team at NAS Millington / Memphis back in 1978. During my AE "A" school time. We did some of those moves the drill master was a CPO , he was a good Chief when I look back on it, it's all timing and well practice. We used M-1's with a 18 " bayonet. The fine for a dropped piece was 25 push-up and a six pack a stitch if you cut some one. We used the hip slap thing for a time system as well.

Odd I didn't see any Petty Officiers in that group? Not that you could see thier rating insignia's very well the couple I did see where Seaman Apprentices , at least the stripes looked black , on Red or Green.

Pretty nice (cush) duty for young squids!

Fun time , and more importantly the best barracks facilities at NAS Millington at the time.

I think BUPER's (Bureau Of Naval Personnel) is located there now and the aviation "A" school's are in Florida, Mayport maybe.

Vince Brennan
08-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I came out of NTSC Glakes and went to NTSCT Corry Field Pensacola having been RCPO of my NTSC company. First thing I did was ask if we had a DrillTeam.

We did pretty good until we met the team from NTSC at Little Creek. It was all over but the shouting.

If any of you have gone to the Unknown Memorial and watched the "Changing" ceremony... THAT'S what "Drill" is all about.

Damn, I knew we'd find a common ground eventually, Paul!

Captain Intrepid
08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Very cool!

BTW, do those officers hats consistently look about a size and a half too big to anyone else? Like it's fallen down over the chaps eyes?

paladin
08-06-2009, 02:49 AM
The hats aren't oversized, it's the pointy heads.....:p

ChaseKenyon
08-06-2009, 02:53 AM
one word only:

NAVY

ChaseKenyon
08-06-2009, 03:03 AM
Hey big brother Ociyo

The hats aren't oversized, it's the pointy heads.....:p:rolleyes:

In 1964 and 5 My Navy Reserve Sea Cadets Team that I was proud to lead could do 80% of that show. We were based in the Hartford CT Navy Reserve Center. The oldest member was 16 years old. In '65 we marched in four separate Memorial Day parades in CT Scattered from Groton to Hartford to New Haven and then Simsbury. the last because Dad as the highest ranking officer in the CT Navy Reserve lived as did I in Simsbury.:D

Good post brought back some good memories before the cold war episodes Ruined my back and attitude.:(

Chase

Hal Forsen
08-06-2009, 11:43 AM
HOOORAH :p
I was on the Navy precision rifle drill team (Chrome Domes) during basic in San Diego.
Our routine was similar but a little longer with even MORE exchanges. And when we did the bit with the troop leader in the middle there were not 4 but 8 rifles whizzing by his head.
Our pieces were chromed M1903 Springfield's with 18" chromed bayonets.
We got bussed around to various parades while the rest of the boots were stompin' the grinder........
Practice Practice Practice ;)

Larch_Keelson
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
The Devil's cheerleaders. We have a ritual here at the Annapolis Naval Acadamy that involves sweaty young fascists greasing-up a towering phallic object -- symbolic of the Great Dragon's penis-- that the Navy intends to ram up the butts of all good taxpaying people in the world.

The symbolism envolved in the armed forces is enough to keep a paranoid and obsessive compulsive person busy for a lifetime.

Larch_Keelson
08-06-2009, 01:39 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4bR4wjVC04 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4bR4wjVC04)

ChaseKenyon
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
The Devil's cheerleaders. We have a ritual here at the Annapolis Naval Acadamy that involves sweaty young fascists greasing-up a towering phallic object -- symbolic of the Great Dragon's penis-- that the Navy intends to ram up the butts of all good taxpaying people in the world.

The symbolism envolved in the armed forces is enough to keep a paranoid and obsessive compulsive person busy for a lifetime.
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2280179)

BTW no such word as envolved in webster's online dictionary.

As to your post I agree.

As a fifth generation NAVY man i can tell you for sure the NAVY is the worst.

WE have our own complete language that is totally obfuscatory.

From Fog Locker, to Ghostman( sonar operator), to Male buoy, to "splice the main brace" to One MC, to Captain's Gig (not a dance BTW), to rat lines, to Squid and Jar Head, and more and more.

Here in the WBF we have a group that is part of the less than 10% of the population that understands Navy/Maritime language.
:)

Paul Girouard
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
to Male buoy,

That would be "mail buoy" shipmate:D

How about you go the the goat locker and ask for some prop wash eh ?

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey, leggings!

You'll notice they are using 1903 Springfields, one of the best balanced rifles ever issued. The succeeding M-1 Garand was a bit heavy, the M-14 more so and with poor purchase as the diameter changes rapidly from the fore end to the barrel. M-16, et. al., not enough swing weight. The new issue gun from FN, the designation escapes me at the moment, just as bad. For ceremonial twirling, you just can't beat the '03.

These displays always impress me very much, while at the same time, I think that I would not want to spend my military career perfecting such a narrow skill. Because it takes unending practice. But for some, it's an honor. I suppose I should not consider it any different from any other narrow skill that has military applications but not much use in the civilian world, from shooting artillery to launching planes off a carrier deck to small arms expertise. Well, not that last one, that has civilian uses. :D

Paul Girouard
08-09-2009, 06:58 PM
These displays always impress me very much, while at the same time, I think that I would not want to spend my military career perfecting such a narrow skill. Because it takes unending practice.

Most USN drill teams are in conjunction with the sailors normal duties. This team , the Org. Poster showed may be different as it was touted as the President's drill team , so they may be a honor guard or part of some unit based near D.C. . As I mentioned right in the beginning of the thread I only see E-3 or below on that team , so very junior enlisted folks.

But for some, it's an honor. I suppose I should not consider it any different from any other narrow skill that has military applications but not much use in the civilian world, from shooting artillery to launching planes off a carrier deck

Check at Boeing and see how many employees are Pryor USN air-dales, I'd suspect at least 50 % or higher USN, USAF, maybe some US Army.

to small arms expertise.

Well, not that last one, that has civilian uses. :D

Maybe if you live in Seattle or Tacoma that last skill would be useful. :rolleyes:

Hal Forsen
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
These displays always impress me very much, while at the same time, I think that I would not want to spend my military career perfecting such a narrow skill. Because it takes unending practice. But for some, it's an honor. Lubber.:p

We learned it ALL during boot camp. 9 weeks. Those exact same moves. And then some...
In addition to everything else. PT, First Aid, Firefighting, Marlinspike Seamanship, Basic Navigation, etc. etc. etc.
Nobody in the USN is making a career out of the drill team.:rolleyes:
FWIW It's much harder backin' a LCVP off the beach in any swell then doing those rifle passes. :cool:

Paul Girouard
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
We learned it ALL during boot camp. 9 weeks.

Well you where in the Special Units Company. Hell, I never held a rifle in boot camp. Of course then I didn't go to the Disneyland boot camp either:p

ChaseKenyon
08-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2282619#post2282619)

to Male buoy,

That would be "mail buoy" shipmate:D

How about you go the the goat locker and ask for some prop wash eh ?
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2282648)

LOL ROTFLMAO big time. We used to have the "missile washing room" and give out instructions to the after steering gear room. I put the misspelling in intentionally BTW

We had a ball when the ship went to dry dock 4 months before a bunch of us got out. The gave us 30% or more of our total crew complement as newbies straight out of school for crew replacements 4 months before dry dock. I had to deal with two not one but two new E4 ICs. One had 19 weeks of Gyro school and could not start it up from cold. The other had 19 weeks of Telephone school and could not even read the labeled and number switches to cycle the phone system for it's daily operational check. I still can't get over the guy they sent me to train for ASW plotter and NATO ASW and Underwater opps. HE could not clear his mask nor replace his Regulator O ring underwater ------ the first things You learn. :) And I as one of the 2 left of 4 Damage Control party leaders was supposed to train these idiots to fight "jet fuel" standard navy distillate burning main boilers for a 1200 psi steam system, fires and hull breaches and so on?

With these guy on board and mine were better than what most petty officers got, They offerred me ungodly re up bonuses. $19 K just for IC and Gyros. Monthly I was E5 IC and that was just under 25% of my total monthly pay when all my specialty bonuses got added on. I made more than most of the Chiefs on board. Instead of putting in another "wealthy" 3 years active and 3 inactive snce I was tecnically NAVRES, I said By By! And left and did not take the money. We all have 20/20 hindsight.

yeah the stories we could share with the forum LOL

ChaseKenyon
08-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Check at Boeing and see how many employees are Pryor USN air-dales

ahh the brown shoe Navy as my Navy Air core till Capt. then (he was line officer not just air core) other things like Nuclear research reactors and final MOB as pres of Naval War college Dad used to call it. He passed on In June of 2008. Still miss him.

Paul, I was GPOed to the LT WO incharge of OCS Processing on day 2 at boot camp. I was also the only one in San Dago from the east coast. Holiday time and the a schools were down fo break. So I asked and was allowed to go through basic and advanced electronics as a self jpaced class of one. That took less than a week after five years of 4H electronics club where we all had self built stereos and ham radios and were working on our class 1 FCC ticket. The head of SD A schools was impressed enough to let me keep on going. so I did Telephone A course (19 weeker), Then did Gyro A school course (19 weeker), So after less than two months to go through two A schools.... They found my records of first alternate to West Point and first alternate to Air Force Academy, sooooo I got to sent across the bridge to Coronado.

maybe this had something to do with that..................
Those academy records had everything to top secret back ground check out. Including very successful regional competition as skier, and fencer, 2nd in state wrestler as a first year guy, LIfe guard WSI, Sea scouts, diving, Navy reserve cadet, trophy wining sailor in super sunfish and C scows, Concert cellist, etc. etc.
Paul would love to chat with you on the hand held (not self powered thanky) some time. Bet we can definately have some laughs together.

ChaseKenyon
08-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Sure Paul how many gallons you want?
the navy don't have it but the air force does so its gonna be a few days to get it.

hmm you better get a bucket of steam to go with that propwash. might have your 6 feet of chow line carry it for you. :)

well said 2 meter Tpt ??????? Oh well
2MT goodjob :)

Had an E4 HT I knew in Nuke school at Bainbridge who came onboard. Some one asked him to get the Mailbouy hook for the spinaker pole. Well he was national Junior C scow champ at 13. His dad is theonly skipper even now to have one the Chicago Makinac four times.
Two hours later Steve comes back from the HT fabrication shop with a welded up two foot long snap hook
threaded to fit on the back end of a tenfoot spinaker pole he made up to go with it. He would have been my best man five years later if he had not had a family emergency to take care of.