PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Open Office?

Wayne Jeffers
08-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Has anyone here had experience with Open Office, the office software suite from Sun Microsystems? http://www.openoffice.org/

I recently learned about it. If I had known about it a year ago when I got the new computer, I probably would not have bought MS Office (again!)

Supposedly, Open Office is compatible with MS Office documents and others. And it is a free download.

(It really burns me that I have to pay Microsoft another hundred dollars or so every time I upgrade/replace the computer.)

Wayne

hokiefan
08-05-2009, 10:18 AM
We have a copy on the home PC that my kids use for homework. It works well and is more compatible with MS Office products than MS Works is. It has all of the functionalilty as far as I can tell of Office (Word, Excell, PowerPoint, Access, etc) and is as easy to use. I've noticed a few minor differences, but nothing difficult yet. I like it.

One of my daughter's teachers recommended it to her. Saved us a few bucks.

Cheers,

Bobby

Joe (SoCal)
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I got it ( cause I HATE MicroCrap ) but be warned it does notwork with all excell micros - so I have to continue to use MS office. :(

JimD
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
We have it. Don't use it much but it seems to do everything I'll ever need it to do.

Flying Orca
08-05-2009, 10:30 AM
I use it on my home Windows machine, and I'm what you might call an Office power user at work. No problems.

Uncle Duke
08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I use it at work (under Linux). It's OK. Very compatible with Office, up to Office 2003. Not as perfect with Office 2007 stuff, but I guess it will get updated at some point.
You have to be a little careful about what format you save files too, but that's pretty easy.
Good stuff, and the price is certainly right.

Wayne Jeffers
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks, everyone. Sounds like Open Office is decent enough.

My son recently lost his hard disk and with rebuilding the computer with a new drive, he couldn’t find his “Certificate of Authenticity” in order to input the code necessary to reload MS Office. Since paying Microsoft again is probably beyond his budget now, I’ll suggest he give Open Office a try.

And I'll be ready for next time. ;)

Wayne

Gonzalo
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I read very good reviews about a variant of Open Office called "Neo Office." Even some people who had minor problems with Open Office gave Neo Office very good reviews. I haven't used either, myself.

Tom Galyen
08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
I do not use it because I don't trust things that are on servers that are not under my control. That is the only thing I have against it. I guess I'm slightly paranoid that way. If you have a business and are planning on putting your records and files on it think about that.

MiddleAgesMan
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I use the spreadsheet and word processing features, no problems but they do seem to take a long time to open. Maybe that's just my crappy PC.

It has a great feature--Export to PDF. If you're sending a word or data document to someone who you think might have trouble with the file format you just export to PDF then send that.

johnw
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I've never had a problem with Open Office, but I mainly use it to word process.

htom
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I use it, few problems. Spice sometimes uses it because it will deal with old Word and Excell better than the real things do.

Mostly I use vim and lyx.

BarnacleGrim
08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I do not use it because I don't trust things that are on servers that are not under my control. That is the only thing I have against it. I guess I'm slightly paranoid that way. If you have a business and are planning on putting your records and files on it think about that.
Like Google Docs? I don't think OpenOffice does that. :confused:

htom
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I really think I have more control over Open Office than I do over the Microsoft offerings; if they break I can dig into the code and fix them.

WX
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Another good reason for using Open Office is the ability to save a file as a PDF.