PDA

View Full Version : Are Y'all seeing the same moon I am tonight.

Paul Pless
08-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Gourgeously full over the river tonight by my mom's house in Alabama.

Flying Orca
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Gorgeously cloudy here.

Paul Girouard
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice 'Commander's moon', last night. The Prowlers bounced last night till almost 2300. More than likely they'll be at it again tonight.
But like 2Meter said , still day light here.

Katherine
08-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Trees, trees, nothing but lonely trees here. :(

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
It's a strange yellowish color on the North Coast tonight.

StevenBauer
08-04-2009, 09:19 PM
We watched the moon rise through the fog over Peaks Island in Casco Bay while out sailing earlier this evening. Quite a moment.

Steven

Glen Longino
08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
My moon is bigger than your moon!

Paul Pless
08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
damned texans

The Bigfella
08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
We've loaned you ours for a few hours. Its half past midday here, so you can use it while we don't need it.

Memphis Mike
08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
AHHHHHhhhhhhOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

Shang
08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Nice over the Missouri Ozarks tonight.

Here's a trivia question:
At what time does the FULL moon rise...?

Answer:
At sundown...that's what makes it full.

C. Ross
08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Just WAIT until you see that moon again north of the Mason-Dixon. It's purtyer up here.

boylesboats
08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
geeeee I am looking, am a looking....

Now I see it... it's fair and clear not a full moon thou, no halo around it... So, no storm tonight

Afraid to set up telescope, too many houses... don't wanna be called Peeper' Tom in my neighborhood

Dave Gray
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
There's a yellow moon on the rise.

According to the calendar, it is called the 'green corn moon', full tomorrow night.

boylesboats
08-05-2009, 12:38 AM
There's a yellow moon on the rise.

According to the calendar, it is called the 'green corn moon', full tomorrow night.

'green corn moon'? now that sounded creepy yet... what's lurkin' among the rows of green corn?

ChaseKenyon
08-05-2009, 03:04 AM
'green corn moon'? n

The Cherokee name for the month! It starts at the peak and when it starts to wane begins the first day of the new month.

EWD

John B
08-05-2009, 05:21 AM
ahhhh, go to Hell.

( I've been saving that one up)

hokiefan
08-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Rained off and on from mid afternoon until about 9 pm. Around 10 I decided I could take my evening walk down by the river. Was really surprised the western half of the sky was clear and I could see the big old moon. Very, very light breeze off the river, the river was very calm. Really nice night. Enjoyed sharing the moon with you guys last night.

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
08-05-2009, 06:54 AM
ahhhh, go to Hell.

( I've been saving that one up)hehe

Saltiguy
08-05-2009, 07:11 AM
I operate a charter boat and did a sunset trip last night. Family from England. Took them out, saw manatees and dolphins, then a beach stop to collect some shells. Got the boat into perfect position at 8pm to watch our West coast Florida sunset over the Gulf of Mexico and it was a beauty!. As the sun was sinking, I served sparkling grape juice in fluted glasses and played America the Beautiful on the CD player. The children loved the "champagne" and participating in a toast. Then, it was time to head back and watch the amazing moonrise along with the sun illuminating the tops of our huge cumulus clouds. Some lightning to the south added to the effect. In the twilight, we Motored along with a pod of dolphins. Sometimes I have to pinch myself - I actually get paid for this.

Flying Orca
08-05-2009, 07:25 AM
AHHHHHhhhhhhOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

...werewolves of Lundar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundar,_Manitoba) (will be staying in tonight with the Buffalo Gals)

The Bigfella
08-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Yep - we got it back thanks - directly overhead now, burning a hole through some light clouds

Paul Pless
08-05-2009, 08:01 AM
"Trees, trees, nothing but lonely trees here."

"I've seen a lot of hot hot fires burn down to smoke and ash."

Mitchell.

"A song of you
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines "

- Charles

Shang
08-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Waxing, almost full today, it's caught my attention the last few days. It comes up earlier each day. A lesson in celestial mechanics is waxing.

Well, actually the moon appears to rise a little later each night...approximately fifty minutes later.
"Approximately" because it depends on the observer's location on the earth. Near the equator the moon rises about forty-nine minutes later each night, but less than that as you move northward. Near the North Pole the moon can appear to rise earlier each day.
Tomorrow, August 6th is the actual Full Moon rise. At precisely what time depends on your latitude, but diagrammatically the Full Moon rises at sunset since that is the time when the moon receives full-frontal sunlight to reflect.

By the way, I qualify only as a "Jee Whiz!" Astronomer, I find the whole thing amazing through my Newtonian scope, but I often have to do my homework to understand what I have seen.

The Bigfella
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, we gave it back to you bigger and better than when we had it last night. Look after it eh?

hokiefan
08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Added a little halo last night, with a warm dry breeze coming off the river. Very nice evening.

Bobby

Paul Pless
08-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Bobby, which river do you live on? My sister owns a second home on the Ogeechee in Richmond Hill just downriver from the Ford Plantation, I spent the better part of a year living there in 2006.

hokiefan
08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Home in Savannah is about 200 yards south of Richardson Creek, not on the water but close enough to walk down to the boat ramp in a few minutes.

Since I work in Jacksonville, I have an apartment in the San Marco area, about 3 blocks east of the St Johns River. My normal evening walk takes me down to the river then I walk along the bank for a couple blocks, then back. The St Johns there is about 3 miles wide I think and I'm always amazed how different the river is day to day. Some nights its smooth and quiet, seldom really glassy though. Some nights when the wind kicks up the river gets fairly choppy, I love the sound of the waves pounding on the wall. Occasionally, there is a good spray from the waves hitting the wall. When I get rained out, I really miss it.

Cheers,

Bobby

skuthorp
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Not tonight, overcast and blowing a gale from the NW, change with dangerous squalls from the South forecast for about 4am. There'll be a boat or two on the beach tomorrow I'll bet.

bamamick
08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
My house is full of windows and skylights, and the last three nights I have been startled awake by one of the dogs barking at shadows on the ground. I will personally be glad when it begins to wane.

On the other hand, three nights in a row I have woken up sometime between two and three, walked into the den, and just sat in the darkness with a dog's head in my lap, one of either side of me, and one at my feet. Totally quiet, except for the sound of four dogs breathing. Honestly? It's not a bad way to spend an hour or two.

Mickey Lake