PDA

View Full Version : something I didn't expect to see...

Phillip Allen
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
looking at a new truck yesterday (new to me) It's a 2001 model and the guy selling it (has a dealers license but only sells a few and has no lot). he told me it had been wrecked and showed me the parts he repaired...
replaced a door and bumper and repainted but no more. I looked very hard for new welds and the like and drove it...drives nice and everything seems to work

The seat belt wouldn't fit round me and I looked and found a splice in it...it'll need replacing. This morning it dawned on my why the chunck was cut out...blood or cut out the driver...or both...it was the driver's door that was replaced...maybe T-boned
he purchaced it from the insurance company

BTW 01 F-150 2wd 4.6L v-8 short wide bed (Triton ) got the two suicide doors in back, all the creature comforts...4600 bucks (100K miles)

Mrleft8
08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
If they use salt on the roads there, you'd be advised to undercoat the frame and fuel tanks. The guy who rebuilt my truck after I got head-on-ed did an excellent job replacing parts, and matching paint etc. But he didn't blast and repaint the frame. Almost instantly the paint started flaking off, and what had been an entirely rust free frame is now borderline iffy....
My 2 cents: avoid a vehicle that's suffered that much damage.....

phiil
08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
On the other hand, it's been pre-disastered. What are the chances of the same truck getting T-boned twice????

High C
08-04-2009, 10:08 AM
On the other hand, it's been pre-disastered. What are the chances of the same truck getting T-boned twice????

The chances of this truck getting t-boned in the future are exactly the same as any other truck. :D

Ian McColgin
08-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I for sure would replace the belt, even if it still could be made to fit. Not enough people have a clue as to the stitching schedule it takes to do that repair correctly.

Phillip Allen
08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I gotta check out the air bags...don't know how

Phillip Allen
08-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I for sure would replace the belt, even if it still could be made to fit. Not enough people have a clue as to the stitching schedule it takes to do that repair correctly.

I'd have to lose over a hundred pounds...I recognised the stitching used to repair sails with alternating short and long stitches

not a chance I'd trust that belt!

Ian McColgin
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Besides running into something for yourself? In most states there are very specific people who are certified to replace airbags.

Phillip Allen
08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Besides running into something for yourself? In most states there are very specific people who are certified to replace airbags.

If they aren't functional...it's a pass for me...and they're very expencive

John Smith
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Sometimes you can just get extensions.

I think I mentioned my mom's '69 Plymouth Belvidere that got totaled twice. Each time they kept it and spent most of a summer fixing it up. Had different colored parts from a variety found in junk yards, a 4x4 for a front bumper, and got strange looks. Underneath all that, it had 17k original miles and drove fine.

Between the two insurance payments, it basically paid for itself.

pefjr
08-04-2009, 10:25 AM
The chances of this truck getting t-boned in the future are exactly the same as any other truck. :DDepends on the driver.

Brian Palmer
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd probably pass on this vehicle, or get a really good collision repair shop to take a look at it. I am no expert, but you should probably be concerned about how well this vehicle can protect you after it has been repaired. A poorly repaired frame or cabin may not have the same strength as the original. The seat belt locking mechanism may have been "repaired" when it should have been replaced. Who checked out the airbags?

Brian

Bruce Hooke
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Have a good mechanic go over the whole truck and make sure everything looks good. Why anyone would skip this step when buying a used vehicle is beyond me. It will almost certainly save you more money than the cost of the mechanic's time because they will find stuff that needs to be done that you can either use to negotiate for a lower price or that you can have the seller do before you buy the vehicle.

damnyankee
08-04-2009, 11:17 AM
My Saturn is a salvage car. Its been great, I knew about it going in, the only thing I wish I'd known to check.. Make sure the car is still water tight.. if it got hit hard enough to cause that damage then body panels might not be in alignment correctly any more. This is a boat community, but having a puddle in your car after every rain isnt fun.

Christopher

Chris Coose
08-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Sounds like they did as good a job shortening the gink in the frame?

Yeadon
08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
About the seatbelt ... no way I'd trust anything other than an out-of-the-box standard seatbelt. I'd ask for a price reduction for whatever that cost. It'd be a dealbreaker for me.

I once bought a Ford Focus that had been wrecked. Whoever fixed it did a nice job putting it back together. The car was fine, though I did go have it looked at first.

bobbys
08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I dont think its worth more then 2500 myself, Not 4wd, over 100000 miles, Already wrecked.

Do they have to brand the Title as branded or salvage in your State??

JimM
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
If the did a half assed repair on the seat belt rather than replacing it, what else did they not repair correctly. I would be leary of buy this truck without having a trusted mechanic inspect it.

BrianW
08-05-2009, 04:03 AM
I believe 100,000 miles is when Ford recommends the fancy spark plugs be replaced. They are a touchy issue as the heads are aluminum in the Titon engine line.

I decided not to do it myself, and have a shop do it. Cost over $300 if I recall. Not sure what it would have cost if they had stripped the threads. My thought is that it would be their fault. If I did it, I know I'd have been screwed.

Honestly, I'm not a Triton engine fan. Give me the old 351 Windsor (5.8liter) any day of the week.

doorstop
08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
If ANY vehicle has been in a prang that needs the seatbelts or the airbags replaced then it has had one hell of a hiding and there is no effing way I would be purchasing same...

brad9798
08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
On the surface, it appears you are getting a decent price.

Things to consider- if you are keeping it forever, and you think it a good truck, then go for it.

Take it to a DEALER to have them diagnose the vehicle's computer ... this will tell you what you need to know.

Take it to a good body shop to have them check the repair work.

If all is in order, give the guy 4,600 bucks ...

Fortunately for you, most on this forum don't know crap about cars ... other than their own bad memories of buying a car with dad in 1948 or 1976! :D

A good body shop will put a wrecked car back together BETTER than it came from the factory. Period.

People who typically freak out about a car being wrecked, are people that typically have no idea what they are looking at.

Of course, there are some good cautionary points made here ... and please DO have the car checked out!

Good luck!

Phillip Allen
08-05-2009, 09:37 AM
air bags are there (looks like it ecperienced a glancing blow that took out the front fender and driver's door...did not deploy the air bags

looks like the insurance company "totaled" it for financial reasons

I took it to the interstate hiway and it drives llike a dream...it has the problems of any other 8 or 9 year old truck except the paint is in much b etter condition...I bought it last night

Paul Pless
08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
I believe 100,000 miles is when Ford recommends the fancy spark plugs be replaced. They are a touchy issue as the heads are aluminum in the Titon engine line.

I decided not to do it myself, and have a shop do it. Cost over $300 if I recall. Not sure what it would have cost if they had stripped the threads. My thought is that it would be their fault. If I did it, I know I'd have been screwed.

Honestly, I'm not a Triton engine fan. Give me the old 351 Windsor (5.8liter) any day of the week.Its not so much that the plugs are expensive its those individual coil packs that get replaced too, right?

Phillip Allen
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Its not so much that the plugs are expensive its those individual coil packs that get replaced too, right?

dunno...

Dan McCosh
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
The airbag system has a diagnostic system built in that would indicate a malfunction on the dash, if the system is intact. A dealer would have a diagnostic computer that would be able to check out the whole system. The indicator light could be disabled, fooling you, but the diagnostic program would detect this as well. The whole thing is part of the mandated airbag requirements.

brad9798
08-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Coil packs don't necessarily need to be replaced with the plugs ... coil packs are not cheap, though! :eek:

The Bigfella
08-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Congratulations on the "new" truck - let us know when you get the seatbelt replaced.... just looking after your best interests..

Vince Brennan
08-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Phil: it's a true delight to find an "Honest" car seller... or a mechanic.

I've got a garage just up m street. They mostly work Mercedes and Porches, but for a neighbour they'll do repairs on just about any "foregin" vehicle.

They cost a LOT more than "Joe Baggadonuts", but when they give it back, "IT'S FIXED".

If it ain't, they make it right.

May we ALL find such trustworthy sellers/repairers and value them as gold!

LeeG
08-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I trust the seatbelt/airbag are all inorder. Some friends were smashed into by a kid in a f150, they were in a Jetta. While their Jetta was totalled and they were needing of major medical care the kid wasn't wearing his seat belt and he got helicoptered out with massive injuries.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Congratulations on the "new" truck - let us know when you get the seatbelt replaced.... just looking after your best interests..

it's amazing how uncomfortable I feel with out the seat belt...that'll be replaced as soon as I can...today I hope...(fits the 18 year old neighbor girl though...she wanted to give it a try yesterday so we went down the road for a bit)

brad9798
08-06-2009, 08:17 AM
I think you probably got a very nice truck for the money!!!

Good on you!!

:)