PDA

View Full Version : Ring the Bell! Ring the Bell!

Milo Christensen
08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm back in the world after 8 days of near total relaxation Up North.

Marilyn and I go every year with a group of about 45 others from our church to Camp Chickagami on Lake Esau which is a few hundred yards from the shore of Lake Huron. This is a totally do your own thing week except for the two meals you work on during the week.

When meals are ready, the big bell on the dining hall is rung. Everyone who is in camp gathers, we say grace, and line up for another great meal in a communal setting. Those who are hungry will often gather in the dining hall early and chant Ring the Bell! Ring the Bell!

It's very different from our daily lives, this communal dining. We tend to rotate around and sit with different folks. The art of conversation during meals is rediscovered.

This year, once again, I was assigned the turkey dinner. Eight turkeys in three ovens meant three turkeys on one big tray in each of two of the ovens. Almost 120 lbs of turkey, much of which is designed to be leftovers for sandwiches later in the week. Stuffing, new potatoes, carrots, gravy, jello - all cooked in multi-gallon quantities. The crew of six who works with me on this meal have all been doing this for years and we work together in the kitchen as a team.

After supper, we sit around and talk or play cribbage, euchre, Scrabble. Several evenings are devoted to a run up to the local store for ice cream followed by watching the sunset over Lake Huron. Hah! You say, you can't see the sun set over the lake from the Michigan side of Lake Huron, but surprisingly, out on the tip of Presque Isle, you can. We had some beauties during the week.

But now I'm back in the world and the washer has finished the third load of clothes and the dryer has dinged to indicate the second load is now dry, so off I go.

George Ray
08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Sounds like a very nice time...

bobbys
08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Ding Dong, Ding Dong:D

David G
08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Milo - sounds like a lovely retreat. We all need the reshuffle the deck a bit, and recharge the batteries sometimes. This sounds like a lovely setting for doing so.

Nanoose
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Isn't life in community grand.....er...most of the time ;)