PDA

View Full Version : unreality and Crows

2MeterTroll
07-31-2009, 06:05 PM
so what do you do when out cutting scarfs and gravely voice says hello and asks for water?

Why you look around and see who's asking.

what do you do when the one who's asking is black as the ace of spades and sitting on a limb 20 feet off the ground?

Well in my case; go fill a bowel with water and set it in the shade.

We seem to have a new crow in our murder and he talks. knows what to ask for to. no sooner did i set the bowl down and move away than he was drinking. he didnt say thank you but given his grasp on language so far he will soon.

pandelume
07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
go fill a bowel with water and set it in the shade.:eek::eek:

switters
07-31-2009, 06:11 PM
sure it wasn't a raven, the ones on the lonely mountain knew westernese ya know.

2MeterTroll
07-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I am pretty clear on my ravens and crows. might not be able to spell bowl but i can identify crows. ;)

it was pretty funny to have a crow saying hello and asking for water. I think this one is a keeper if it decides to stay around.

Woxbox
07-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Crows can learn a lot more than that, too. My sister had one that used to like to play with a golf ball. When he'd lose it, everytime anyone walked by he'd start saying "golfball, golball." The thing of it was, no one ever made an attempt to teach him to say anything. He used to mock their little dog when it barked, too.

paladin
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
He may be someone's pet. When I was growing up granddad caught a young one and trimmed his feathers. He would sit on the tree branch outside the kitchen window and wait until granny started breakfast. He would start with "Momma I'm hungry" and she made a soft fried egg, cut up a piece of toast in squares, set a cup of coffee on the table, he would pick up the toast, dip it in egg yolk, then the coffee and eat it. Would sit on the porch swing and if someone wearing a dress came by, would do the wolf whistle....anyone in uniform would be met with "Goddamn mailman"....and would walk around and do a little whistle and call "here Cookie"....drove old cookie, granddads little terrier, berserk. Ended his life sneaking his beak into a neighbors fresh baked pies...faced down a .410...lady didn't know he was a pet. One of old Herman's favorite tricks was walking over the back of the porch swing with ladies sitting in it, down the back...across the bottom upside down, and look up from the front edge while hanging there and do the wolf whistle....

pefjr
07-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Was there a tapping?

nevermore?

Bobcat
07-31-2009, 07:33 PM
There was a crow that hung around the store on Shaw Island, Washington. It was wild, never a pet and it learned to say "hello" on its own.

They are the smartest of the birds. Around here they harass bald eagles just because they can.

2MeterTroll
07-31-2009, 07:37 PM
that would be a Raven and i belive the reply for saying never more to a raven is F*** you! (its a funny) damn having to say that sorta spoils it)

LOL...... thats why the old raven at the wild life safari park no longer got to go to schools as an ambassador bird

pefjr
07-31-2009, 11:02 PM
There was a crow that hung around the store on Shaw Island, Washington. It was wild, never a pet and it learned to say "hello" on its own.

They are the smartest of the birds. Around here they harass bald eagles just because they can.I have a couple Raven on my creek in N. Idaho. They own about 1000' of it . Each year young Eagles try to move in but the Ravens run them off. The Eagles are 2/3 times bigger but no match even for one Raven. The owls come in at night but never stay during daylight hrs, and never nest on this stretch of the creek. The Ravens have had title on that 1000' for 4 years now. Their nest is in the tallest tree and they sit up there talking to each other and watching over their domain.

bobbys
07-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Sum dont believe crows are the Devils agents but i do.

The Basstards gang up on my Lab and mock him.

I could take em out easy with my Red ryder carbine BB gun but then they haunt you

Dave Gray
08-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Starlings and **** sparrows (European tree sparrows) are exempt, but I am pretty sure crows are protected.

BETTY-B
08-01-2009, 12:12 AM
That's true about the crows ganging up on dogs. My old Brittany pulled a few out of the air that were dive bombing her. Every now and then there would be a dead crow in the yard. Then one day, as I was looking out the kitchen window, she just soared through the air and snagged one with complete ease. She snapped it's neck and went for more. Dead crow riddle solved.

ULA doesnt kill the stuff she catches. She throws it up in the air, but let's it run and she does it all over again.

So, I want to hear this bird talking, Ernie.

DAN

Dave Gray
08-01-2009, 12:12 AM
If you believe Wikepedia then we are both wrong:

Hunting

In the United States it is legal to hunt crows[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] in all states usually from around August to the end of March and anytime if they are causing a nuisance or health hazard. There is no bag limit when taken during the "crow hunting season." According to the US Code of Federal Regulations, crows may be taken without a permit in certain circumstances. USFWS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Fish_and_Wildlife_Service) 50 CFR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Federal_Regulations) 21.43 (Depredation order for blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles, crows and magpies) states that a Federal permit is not required to control these birds "when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance," provided

that none of the birds killed or their parts are sold or offered for sale,
that anyone exercising the privileges granted by this section shall permit any Federal or State game agent free and unrestricted access over the premises where the operations have been or are conducted and will provide them with whatever information required by the officer, and
that nothing in the section authorizes the killing of such birds contrary to any State laws and that the person needs to possess whatever permit as may be required by the State.

In the UK, the crow is considered a pest and under certain conditions can be shot under a number of general licenses issued by DEFRA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFRA).

-----------------

Anyhow, a talking crow is pretty cool.

oznabrag
08-01-2009, 12:30 AM
So...You were working on Tari Tari?

Strong medsin.

P.L.Lenihan
08-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Ernie, would ya mind shipping me some of that mead you make. It's been years since I've had some and I miss listening to the birds' version of the "birds and the bees." :D

Cheers!!

Peter

P.L.Lenihan
08-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Peter i would love to send you a bottle :) but i will probably bring it along.

Don't forget to bring that crow too! :)

Cheers!

Peter

John Smith
08-01-2009, 07:03 AM
so what do you do when out cutting scarfs and gravely voice says hello and asks for water?

Why you look around and see who's asking.

what do you do when the one who's asking is black as the ace of spades and sitting on a limb 20 feet off the ground?

Well in my case; go fill a bowel with water and set it in the shade.

We seem to have a new crow in our murder and he talks. knows what to ask for to. no sooner did i set the bowl down and move away than he was drinking. he didnt say thank you but given his grasp on language so far he will soon.

I remember a joke: what's black, lives in a tree, and is extremely dangerous?

A crow with a machine gun.

Mrleft8
08-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Just a question...... Did you by any chance eat any funny looking mushrooms just before this crow started talking to you?.......

pefjr
08-01-2009, 08:43 AM
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/835414-crow-sound-effect-wav

my morning alarm clock: :http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pileated_Woodpecker/sounds

J P
08-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Just a question...... Did you by any chance eat any funny looking mushrooms just before this crow started talking to you?.......

Hey, maybe it's Don Juan or Carlos!;)

... and you're in a Separate Reality ...

Yeadon
08-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I never see ravens here in town, but last saw on up in the San Juan's on Crane Island. It was around 5 a.m., and it was having a conversation with a crow. They were talking back and forth across a little tiny marina where I'd tied up Big Food for the night.

Dave Gray
08-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I apologize for the thread drift. I feel it is necessary to point out that crows are protected birds. A special permit is needed to deal with nuisance situations.

Here are a couple of links about protected birds:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pardo/birds/archive/archive4/msg00822.html
http://www.pacificwildlife.org/info/Online%20Docs/fmbtaList.pdf

---------
Teach the crow to ask for a whiskey and water.

Houndog
08-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Not to deminish crows or ravens but sea gulls are pretty smart too. I saw a video showing a sea gull sneaking into a convenience store, stealing a bag of chips and then running out with it. Some of the local folks began paying for the chips the sea gull would steal.

Dave Gray
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Ish, I think that crows are classified as songbirds (yeah, I know). Songbirds have been protected by federal law for quite a while now - I think back to the 1940's?

Which doesn't mean people would miss a few hundred or more if they suddenly disappeared.

I find them rather interesting birds. If a fledgling falls out of a tree crows will come from miles around to protect it, dive bombing any unsuspecting soul should one come too near. They will continue to do this for days after the young bird either dies or recovers.

I am not sure I like these critters. They wake me up in the morning when I would rather hear robins, which I call flying turd birds (turdus migratorius - I love that name. Someone must have had a real sense of humor!). Evidently they are pushing into coastal range habitat and taking over nests that belong to marbled murrelets. There are signs in the redwoods asking tourists not to feed them as doing so will help establish them.

At the same time they are intelligent creatures. Very opportunistic, greedy, and gregarious. A lot like humans....

jbelow
08-02-2009, 07:01 AM
My local crows know the ballistics of a 22 rimfire. I can out smart them sometimes with a 22 magnum rimfire but not for long.

Captain Blight
08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
It is to my everlasting shame that I helped finance my college education by shooting crows for area farmers. I used a .25 -'06 with 75-gr hollowpoints loaded to about 3650 FPS. When hit square they would simply atomize along with the bullet. Seriously, just a pink mist and a bunch of black feathers. If I missed--and I didn't miss often-- I had a big State Park as my impact zone. I got a quarter a bird. I had well over $1500 in the bank between my sophmore and junior years, from my crow business. Wasn't til later I learned how smart and personable these animals actually were.

Flying Orca
08-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Crows are smart (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090805144114.htm).

Mrleft8
08-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I heard a story on the radio recently about crows and facial recognition....Apparently they're extremely good at it....

TimH
08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Crows are smarter than parrots and out african grey asks for water when he needs it and asks to be let out of his cage. He also asks for apple, pop corn and a few other things.

Woxbox
08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
And more proof. The smart crow gets the worm:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8181233.stm

MiddleAgesMan
08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't see many crows around here but a family of green herons has moved in and cleaned out all the small fish from my koi pond. Here's the daddy, I think:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2668/3875134177_c062f93f67_b.jpg

He looked bright blue in the viewfinder, less so on the 'puter screen, and is a very subtle shade of green with a touch of blue by the naked eye.

Milo Christensen
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Why was twometertroll banned?

oznabrag
08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Why was twometertroll banned?

For telling someone to fold it up 'til it was all sharp corners, and stuff it.

Flying Orca
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Seems pretty mild as banning offences go; I can think of a few people who should be similarly advised on numerous occasions. Hell, I'm probably one of 'em from time to time.