PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher

Paul Pless
07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
I have to say, even given the circumstances, I'm quite surprised that he's returning to the circus.

Thoughts on his performance?

martin schulz
07-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Thoughts on his performance?

Well over here almost everybody is excited.

I will be interesting to see if its the car or the pilot that makes the difference.

John Meachen
07-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I fully expect to see him on a podium before the end of the season.

Paul Pless
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I fully expect him to have a full time ride next year. :)

The Bigfella
07-31-2009, 05:35 PM
He's still a bad sportsman. I refused an invite to the Melbourne GP because of his outrageous "sportsmanship". He may have won 7 - but I'll always remember him for his Hill and Villeneuve moments. He's a jerk.

John Meachen
07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
He's still a bad sportsman. I refused an invite to the Melbourne GP because of his outrageous "sportsmanship". He may have won 7 - but I'll always remember him for his Hill and Villeneuve moments. He's a jerk.

I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment;he first grabbed my attention at the Macau Grand Prix in 1990.An obvious talent but he nudged Mika Hakkinen off the course.

The Bigfella
07-31-2009, 05:56 PM
And who could forget him stopping on the track so that Alonso couldn't get a faster time in practice at Monaco. What a champion!

Damn, that settles it. I will not buy a 458 Ferrari now!

Hwyl
07-31-2009, 06:52 PM
I thought he was The Stig

The Bigfella
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Nah, the first (Black) Stig outed himself, the second (White) Stig was also recently outed. I seem to recall Schuie doing a segment where he claimed to be the Stig

Paul Pless
07-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Isn't the stig a nascar test driver? :eek:

martin schulz
08-01-2009, 04:53 AM
I seem to recall Schuie doing a segment where he claimed to be the Stig

No you are all right - he's a jerk, but his popularity in Germany is heavily pushed be the yellow-press. I always flip out in "Bierzelt" dicsussions when it come to Schumacher. He is celebrated as real German hero - but doesn't even pay his income tax here...

On the other hand whether I liked it or not he definitely is a very good pilot and people like him (or as example Eddie Mercx - the cannibale) can never get enough, which is probably what makes him good.

The question is what do we want from a sportstar. I guess we all want female sportstars to look attractive and male stars to be the guy one can have a beer with, but actually their job is to be the best and nothing else.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-01-2009, 05:00 AM
I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment;he first grabbed my attention at the Macau Grand Prix in 1990.An obvious talent but he nudged Mika Hakkinen off the course.

I was there. I reckoned Hakkinen was the better prospect than Schumacher at the time.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-01-2009, 05:03 AM
The question is what do we want from a sportstar. I guess we all want female sportstars to look attractive and male stars to be the guy one can have a beer with, but actually their job is to be the best and nothing else.

The TV and internet effect; "the best is the enemy of the good".

Better go to your local track, stand in the rain and see people you can really have a beer with afterwards.

(actually, James Hunt ("the Shunt") did to go to a bar with fans after the race...he was unique , I think.

Antonio Majer
08-01-2009, 05:14 AM
For me he is a true genius, he is capable of understanding a car better then everyone else. I mean: he has always helped improving the cars he drove, he is a great test driver besides a f1 pilot.

brad9798
08-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Wonder how he'd hold up at Talladega? OR, better yet Martinsville? ;)

Paul Pless
08-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Wonder how he'd hold up at Talladega? OR, better yet Martinsville? ;)I'd rather see him at the Indianapolis 500; The Brickyard has been both extremely kind and extremely harsh to retired F1 drivers that would give the billiard table a run.

Paul Pless
08-01-2009, 11:46 AM
"that would give the billiard table a run"

What zat? A billiard table a run? Racing lingo?The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is often referred to as the billiard table... its a perfect rectangular oval racetrack, twice as long as it is wide and its extremely extremely flat.

The oldest driver to win the 500 is Al Unser, he's also tied with Foyt and Mears for the most amount of wins there with four each.

brad9798
08-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Unser was 47 IIRC!

The Bigfella
08-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Same age as Fangio when he won his last World Championship IIRC. Brabham was 40 or more when he won his 3rd - in a car he designed and built himself.

24hacker
08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I wonder if the FOTA will allow him to 'test' - Williams said 'NO'. He will do OK - probably run someone off the track like he usually does and the stewards will not do anything.

Paul Pless
08-03-2009, 01:00 PM
He's been driving the 2007 car at the Ferrari proving grounds.

24hacker
08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
It is not the 2009 - no KERS - slicks - different aero -

John Meachen
08-04-2009, 04:40 PM
It does have slicks,according to reports Bridgestone are not too forthcoming about precisely which type.It might even be better than the 2009 car for building up neck muscles and a lot of the other stuff can be dealt with in the simulator.

B_B
08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2009/08/11/sp-f1-schumacher.html

The legendary seven-time champion called off his highly anticipated return to the circuit on Tuesday, citing lingering injuries from a motorcycle crash earlier this year.

"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe," Schumacher said on his website.

martin schulz
08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe," Schumacher said on his website.

Old Fart I'd say ;)

24hacker
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Just out today - he is not going to race - injured neck in a motorcycle shunt - and he won't be fit enough to withstand the g-forces.

bamamick
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I would be very surprised if the leading racing car driver in the world didn't exhibit at least a little arrogance and whole lot of self-confidence when dealing with the public at-large. I have met many of the 'big' names of sailboat racing over the past 30 years, and almost to a fault they would have been considered rude, at the least, and downright obnoxious at the most. Mark Reynolds was one exception. Vince Brun. There have been others, but I could name some names that you'd recognize that were the exact opposites, and the magazines and websites sing their praises to this day.

I was under the impression that the Stig was a collection of different touring car drivers over the years, though I had heard that the present Stig DID have something to do with NASCAR.

Mickey Lake

The Bigfella
08-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Schumacher was the Stig for one lap... he set a time of 1:10.7 driving the Ferrari FXX - but that was because Ferrari would only let Schumacher drive the car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

Him pulling out doesn't come as much of a surprise - the G forces involved are huge, but more importantly, I imagine, are the speed at which the direction of the G forces change. My gokarts can achieve the same G force as a cornering F1 car - about 4g - but not the acceleration and braking forces (unfortunately). I've also experienced over 4g in a jet fighter - but again, that was just in a simple loop - not the brake, corner, accelerate stuff of F1. The neck is the critical factor here.... any weakness and it just isn't going to last the distance.

On a related front, I see that Casey Stoner is out for the next 3 MotoGPs due to his continuing mystery illness.