PDA

View Full Version : Our misguided honduras policy

peb
07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
When the "coup" occurred in Honduras, I opined on this forum that the Obama administration had "jumped the gun" in choosing sides. The more I read about it the more I think we are supporting the wrong side.

We are trying to bring another Chavez and put him in power. It seems likely the Honduras were simply implementing their own laws when the change of power occurred. Of course, we know better.

On a side note: here's an article from the Chavez nation and it gives you a taste of what we are supporting.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99P3IKO0&show_article=1

Andrew Craig-Bennett
07-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Very interesting - a close friend of mine is in Salvador at the moment taking care of his mother who is seriously unwell - I'll ask him what he thinks.

Keith Wilson
07-31-2009, 11:00 AM
At first, the "coup" looked exactly like something from the bad old days, and I can understand that the US reacted by opposing the military - but it's not at all that simple. I don't understand Zelaya, who actually used to be a conservative - whether he's just ambitious and has adopted an ideology of convenience (also to get Venezuelan money), or whether he's been bought, whether he's actually had a genuine conversion which goes well with personal ambition, or whether he's actually a bit unbalanced. Latin America has had way, way too many self-appointed heroic national saviors on tall white horses. And now he's calling for armed insurrection. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I think the same impulse that led the US to condemn the military will also keep us from doing too much, and we won't apply much pressure either way. I obviously don't like the idea of encouraging the Honduran military to toss out the president, but it's possible may really be defending civil government. Unfortunate situation all around.

peb
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Based on 100 years of experience in supporting right wing dictators in Latin America, I wouldn't be so sure. Yes, Chavez is a pretty reprehensible scoundrel... but are the right wing tyrants any better?

Norman, the guy we are trying to depose right now is a member of the honduras liberal party. You should really study up on an issue before commenting.

Keith Wilson
07-31-2009, 02:34 PM
OTOH, "Liberal Party" in Latin America doesn't necessarily mean anything like what is called "liberal" in US politics in 2009. But you're quite right, the situation in Honduras is pretty confusing, and trying to fit it into the old model of "a right wing coup against a moderate reformer" might be as much of a mistake as the 1950s tendency to see moderate reformers as Communists in disguise.

Kaa
07-31-2009, 02:35 PM
You should really study up on an issue before commenting.

Why, and break a long-standing tradition..? :D

Kaa

George Roberts
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
I agree with Kaa's wry remark.

From the beginning the claim was that the elected "president" was determined to remain "president" for life. It seemed that the people supported by the courts, the legislature, and the military thought that was not proper.

Hard to determine what the truth is. Most likely not worth while determining the truth. Pick a side. Stay the course.

Keith Wilson
07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Most likely not worth while determining the truth. Pick a side. Stay the course. I sure do hope you're being sarcastic. :rolleyes: