PDA

View Full Version : forgive me WBF, I have sinned

switters
07-31-2009, 09:17 AM
While walking down to the lake last night after dinner we decided to go around the neighborhood instead. I saw a small sailboat down a in a court and went to have a look. The owners room mate was outside, and on the other side of the small plastic sailboat was a wooden boat, stitch and glue, missing gunnls, and a bit soggy. It was a Bolger cartopper. Turns out the young man was from Seattle and going to college and had bought the cartopper from a local genlteman and was going to restore it. He also mentioned that the plastic sailboat on the trailer was to be had for $150.

We exchanged numbers and a promise to look him up or told him he could call me if he needed to see anything on the plans for the cartopper which I have. It was a very pleasant chat and surising to find someone a block away in this town I usually refer to as the opposite end of the center of the wooden boat universe.

On the walk back to the house my fiance said "$150 is a good price isn't it?" "Well, yes" I said, "the trailer is worth that, and so is the sail",

"We could afford it this month if you want"

"We could but should we, it will mean another month of not going out to dinner and drinking Busch beer" (another WBF sin apparently)

And so instead of reminding me that we need new tires on the truck and have to finish paying off a pig, she talked me into another boat.

We are picking up an Alcort Puffier tonight. Not sure what to do with the hull, it was covered in the deutrius of moving college students last night, but I think the kids will enjoy if it is not too much to put back to gether. And now I dont have to worry about a boat trailer next month when I move some of my projects.

I will be posting questions above about can I even use the sail cut down for a summer breeze or GIS, and there will be some welding and grinding coming up on the trailer, but hopefully it will turn out to be a better buy than the the old Glasstron ski boat I bought 10 years ago and finally gave away with the trailer just so I didn't have to move the hull around all the time. Stupid me.

Paul Pless
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
drinking Busch beer.ewe

rbgarr
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Nice marriage.

Keith Wilson
07-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Nah, it's OK; you're forgiven. That's not a bad little boat. Fiberglass sailboats (particularly ones you buy cheap) have their place, depite somewhat resembling bathtubs. It will tolerate abuse and neglect well, and the kids will enjoy it. It's not like you bought a jetski.

Alcort (AMF) Puffer:

http://www.sailingtexas.com/picamfpuffer106a.jpg

switters
07-31-2009, 10:58 AM
I like the interior layout, the lines aren't much to look at. Probably faster than the summer breeze but no where near as sexy.:D

I have two plastic canoes, my first boat was a snark, and have had a glasstron. None of them got names. I'm still agonizing over the name for the 12' SB in the garage. I've been thinking for over a year what to name the GIS which wont even get started for another month.

After looking at some other pics and info this morning I'll keep the sails they way they are and with the Puffer. Just having some sails in front of me should help when I start to sew the others.

I have no idea what to do with a jib or how to tack with one. Hopefully the guys who sold it to me can spend an afternoon out on the lake with us. I think a case of beer should ensure participation if not total concentration. Dont worry Paul, Ill offer something locally brewed.

Jet skis, This is the first group of people I've found who share my loathing for jet skis.

Ill get pics of the cartopper tonight and see if the restorer is interested in joining the WBF.

hokiefan
07-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Nice marriage.

Seconded. Any lady that encourages you to add a boat is a keeper.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

switters
07-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Switters,
For a little plastic toy, I forgive ya...

It will be good practice boat for sailing

Larry, we are working on the pirogue again tonight, pictures will be posted sometime this weekend. We hope to have the bottom taped on Saturday so he can take it back to his moms house and start the fairing and painting. Thank you so much for your help with that, I've not seem him this excited to so something without his social group since he was six. It is the only time he turns his cell phone off, I had him read the plans also and he took your first rule of epoxy seriously.

He named his boat T-pain, who sings a song about being on a boat, but I dont recommend looking up the song.

Ian McColgin
07-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Some of us are not prejudiced against frozen snot. You have ok taste in boats, good taste in trailors, obviously fantastic taste in a wife, but really . . .

. . . no taste in beer.

That's ok. You can hang out here anyway.

Keith Wilson
07-31-2009, 11:11 AM
I have no idea what to do with a jib or how to tack with one.Easy. Start coming about; when the jib is luffing nicely, cast off one jib sheet and as the sail comes past the mast, haul in on the other. If conditions are such that you're likely to be caught in irons, (like a leftover chop with not much wind) you can back the jib; i.e. leave the jib sheet cleated until the jib fills on the wrong side, then let it pull the bow around. Once you're on the new tack cast off the weather jib sheet and sheet in normally. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

switters
07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Some of us are not prejudiced against frozen snot. You have ok taste in boats, good taste in trailors, obviously fantastic taste in a wife, but really . . .

. . . no taste in beer.

That's ok. You can hang out here anyway.

Thanks, I was rather hoping to have dinner with you and Mary Ellen again the 27th of August, I'll be back in town. Perhaps I can absorb a bit more education in finer boats, I'm afraid I'm pretty hopeless in the beer category though.

B_B
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Good Get!

There's a 15'er in a yard 10 minutes from here I discovered two months ago - doesn't look like its been moved in years.

I keep driving by the house but no-one is ever there....

elf
07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Alcort (AMF) Puffer:

http://www.sailingtexas.com/picamfpuffer106a.jpg

Just a couple steps away from a Dyer Dinghy, what's wrong with that?

peter radclyffe
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
let me get this right, your saying a woman advised a man to buy a boat, were there any witnesseshttp://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

SamSam
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
A good piece of equipment for that is a bailer, tied on with a piece of line to keep it from drifting away.

Bob Roncace
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
ewe

How did a female sheep make it into this story? ;)

Nanoose
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
let me get this right, your saying a woman advised a man to buy a boat, were there any witnesseshttp://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Yes, we do exist...
And there is the 1955 Land Rover now sitting in the driveway I also encouraged him to pursue...;)

switters
07-31-2009, 01:13 PM

Only the seller.

But I met this crazy woman wearing sawdust covered flannel with epoxy in my beard (or was it gorilla glue that day). I bought her a beer and she asked what I had been doing. Since then she has helped build her own one sheet skiff and the almost complete summer breeze, when she isn't paddling on her end of the canoe.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/P7270019.jpg

Bob Roncace
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, we do exist...
And there is the 1955 Land Rover now sitting in the driveway I also encouraged him to pursue...;)

You encouraged him to pursue a driveway? :eek: How fast was it going? Did the Land Rover sitting on it slow the driveway down enough that he could catch it? :D

ChaseKenyon
07-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Nanoose my dear

Yes, we do exist...
And there is the 1955 Land Rover now sitting in the driveway I also encouraged him to pursue...;)Are you directly related to my best friend and wife Marilyn/Ten Cats Woman?

It would seem so as she encouraged me to buy the GarWood, the 40ft Prevost LeMirage bus conversion, The rare supercharged and boosted one of 100 1999 Jaguar Vandenplas. Among many sports cars and such over the years. Ranging from Mini autocrossers andhealys and Fiat Abarth rally cars to A rare (only one in North america) 1961 Humber Super Snipe Shooting Brake( station wagon in US terms) that we used to own for an everyday car for 3 years when the kids were toddlers. THat latter is now quite famous in international terms as the only fully optioned Mini RollsRoyce one of these left.:D:D:D

Life is for sharing together Why else get married?:cool:

34 years for us.

Chase

Ian McColgin
07-31-2009, 03:25 PM
If I'm back from my August jaunt, it would be great to see you again. And my best kayak buddy drinks BadLite and I don't hold it against her too much.

If you don't still have my number, flash me a PM and I'll send it.

See ya on the water.

Nanoose
07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
34 years for us.

Chase

27 for us...just celebrated...

jack grebe
08-01-2009, 11:38 AM
And so instead of reminding me that we need new tires on the truck and have to finish paying off a pig, she talked me into another boat.

THAT IS A KEEPER:eek:

switters
08-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Spent the weekend working on boats. The puffer seems to have everything together except a few holes in the outer plastic, and it is missing a boom. The sails appear to be in good shape and have been washed and put inside. The fiance has started stripping down the rudder, dagger board, and a few other wooden bits. The dagger board has been given its first coat of epoxy.

The pirogue is a weekend away from getting painted we just need to finish the glueing the gunnels (ladder type, more time) and breasthooks.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/DSC01861.jpg

He has taken more pics than I have

switters
12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I just found another puffer, same color, missing a rudder. I have a rudder and all the hardware so I can duplicate that. But the first one I bought is missing a boom, which I have some good fir for but havn't started yet. I think Santa wants me to have two of these things so I can have one nice one and one to sell off next spring without much hard work so I can focus on the GIS this winter.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/boa/1486569115.html

Life is good, the kicker will be if the trailer has title to it, I'm waiting for a reply.

edit: no title for the trailer, going to have to negotiate the price now.

switters
12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a verbal sign off from the fiance and an appointment to look on Saturday, I would like to just buy the boom but that probably wont work. So I will now have two hulls, one complete, one missing the boom and tiller and a sail with a few broken battens. That one will need to be sold or parted out this spring per my recent instructions.:D

LeeG
12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
switters, this is a great thread, how about Pabst beer?

switters
12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
switters, this is a great thread, how about Pabst beer?

it goes well with my red neck and white socks.:)

Gonzalo
12-03-2009, 02:38 PM
my first boat was a snark...You mean the little Styrofoam boat with the lateen sail? The first boat I ever sailed by myself was a "Sea Snark." While I hope never to sail one again, I have some fond memories of that little Styrofoam bathtub.

Gonzalo
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Easy. Start coming about; when the jib is luffing nicely, cast off one jib sheet and as the sail comes past the mast, haul in on the other. If conditions are such that you're likely to be caught in irons, (like a leftover chop with not much wind) you can back the jib; i.e. leave the jib sheet cleated until the jib fills on the wrong side, then let it pull the bow around. Once you're on the new tack cast off the weather jib sheet and sheet in normally. You'll get the hang of it in no time.Gosh, I actually understood that, albeit with some effort. As a sailor, there may be some hope for me yet.

Ted Hoppe
12-03-2009, 08:13 PM
You mean the little Styrofoam boat with the lateen sail? The first boat I ever sailed by myself was a "Sea Snark." While I hope never to sail one again, I have some fond memories of that little Styrofoam bathtub.

Hard to beat those memories as a young boy, a good small lake, warm water and bright sunshine. Nearly halcyon days for me too.

switters
12-07-2009, 05:50 PM
have a boom, the boat is complete. I now have something to sail into rocks while I'm learning again until the wooden one gets built.

Gonzalo, it was indeed a sytroroam and plastic covered little boat. I car topped it all over SW Colorado on my toyota station wagon going sailing and impressing women, well, at least until they went with me.

One blustery evening I gave a very nautical sounding "coming about", and she said "what?". The wind was blowing very hard for such a small boat and we were really on nothing more than a cow pond so I needed to turn really quick. So I said "duck", and she thought I said "jump" because the boat was heeled over pretty bad. So she bailed out. And then I had to get turned around again to go get her, and we went to the other side of the pond and called it a night. She was not happy with me for some time.

Concordia...41
12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
:D What's that song line? Something about 'life's a dance you learn as you go.' ;)

Beowolf
12-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Hell, that ain't sinnin'

Last summer I bought a pair of plastic boats for $150 each, without seeing them first. Drove 3.5 hours up to Tawas to pick them up. My mom asked me "Why are you buying two boats?" My reply: "because he only had two for sale." Truth is, for $300, if only one of them was as good as the pictures indicates it would be worth it.

So now I've got a Holder 12 and an Escape Captiva and I did more sailing last summer that the previous ten summers combined!

BTW: The Escape is a true plastic boat (rotomoulded) complete with molded-in cup holders! (And a wicked-cool carbon fiber mast.)

Shang
12-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I too came close to sinning when I saw two sailboats on their trailers on a lot for next to what I had in my pocket.
Only The Lawd of Boats Made of Gawd Growed of Wood made me hesitate....
...only that and the fact that I had but enough change in by pocket to buy one or the other of those sort of boats kept me from making a lesser offering and towing one or the other of them boats home.

...And that and the realization that the downstream exit from my dock was a foot and a half shallow less than the depth required to float those wonderful sail boats beyond my dock.

So I think I will wait until I have built the Wiley Boat to the plans I have on the top shelf of my boat yard/garage next year.