PDA

View Full Version : Proposal to the Bama fans (Bamamick, Paul Pless, Margo, etc)

hokiefan
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey Mickey, Paul, Margo, and any other Bama fans I may have forgotten,

Anyone want to place a friendly wager on the VT-Bama game in Atlanta on September 5th. I personally think this will be a low scoring game decided by which way the ball bounces once or twice. I can make a case for why Va Tech might win, but I can make an equally good case for why Bama might win. What a great game to open the season. Coach Beamer says he loves these kind of opening games because he doesn't have to worry about player focus in the offseason and the preseason.

Now, I'm not a big gambler. With friends around here I'll bet $1 to give some interest and make the payout in public and fun. Or I'll bet lunch, so the winner gets to gloat to a captive audience for an hour. The offer of lunch is on, but its not likely I'll be in Magnolia Springs or Hell anytime soon to payoff. So, any other good ideas for a fun wager? I'm open.

Cheers,

Bobby

Side note: In 2007 I bet $1 on the VT-LSU game in Baton Rouge. After we got trounced (the perfect storm:eek:) I walked in the control room the next day and gave him $2. Ughh!!! I don't see us getting whacked this year. Beaten maybe, but not whipped unmercifully.

pefjr
07-28-2009, 04:21 PM
You taking VT? Send me the dollar and don't waste anymore of my time.

hokiefan
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
You taking VT? Send me the dollar and don't waste anymore of my time.

Absolutely. I'll wait till after the game, then you can send me yours instead. :D:D

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Ok, tried to warn you.

hokiefan
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Ok, tried to warn you.

So, to make this interesting, why do you think Bama will win? Specifically...

You first, then I'll take a shot.

Cheers,

Bobby

rbgarr
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Vermont plays Alabama and LSU this year?? Talk about a rolling tide! ;)

Paul Pless
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah... I'm in. Let's make this interesting!

pefjr
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
So, to make this interesting, why do you think Bama will win? Specifically...

You first, then I'll take a shot.

Cheers,

BobbySure, Bama is a strong SEC team, and a weak SEC team can beat VT. But, if hell freezes over and VT wins, its a cakewalk to the National Championship because Bama is the only recognizable football team on their schedule. .... plus its played in Atlanta, that's home field advantage for Bama. I am surprised you didn't ask me for 30 points.

hokiefan
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Sure, Bama is a strong SEC team, and a weak SEC team can beat VT. But, if hell freezes over and VT wins, its a cakewalk to the National Championship because Bama is the only recognizable football team on their schedule. .... plus its played in Atlanta, that's home field advantage for Bama. I am surprised you didn't ask me for 30 points.

Not much to work with in terms of specifics here. I'll give you that Bama is a strong SEC team. They have a strong defense particularly against the run up the middle. We like to run up the middle and did it very well to end the year last year. Will be interesting how that works out. Our passing game was putrid to start the year, much better at the end. I don't see our offense doing a whole lot against your defense. Bama lost a lot on their OL and start a new QB. We will stop the run and make him try to beat us. True, he's a 5th year senior, but I like our chances against him. Our Defensive Coordinator will confuse him, he's the best in the business at confusing QB's. My bet is our D will score (or set up) one TD at least. I don't see your offense doing much against our defense. Our Special Teams will be solid, I suspect yours will be too. So it comes down to a bounce of the ball...

Regarding schedule, per rbgarr Bama plays Vermont. Talk about a cupcake. The weakest team we play is Virginia, yeah I think Duke takes them again this year. Our schedule:

Alabama (in Atlanta)
Marshall
Nebraska
Miami
@Duke
Boston College
@Georgia Tech
North Carolina
@East Carolina
@Maryland
NC State
@Virginia
Florida State (probably) in the ACC Championship Game

Not many cupcakes in there. And don't count on any home field advantage for Bama in Hot'lanta. We've sold our alloted 30,000 tickets. The stadium will be at most 60/40 Bama fans. Wish I had 4 of those tickets.:(

Bama may win, but the SEC isn't head and shoulders better than the ACC. Check the head to head last year, if I remember right we had the edge by the end of the year. Yep I'm right, we win 6-5.:D

FSU lost to Florida (didn't everybody)
Wake Forest beat Mississippi & Vanderbilt
Clemson lost to Bama, beat South Carolina
NC State lost to South Carolina
Georgia Tech beat Mississippi St, beat Georgia, lost to LSU
Miami lost to Florida (see above)
Duke beat Vanderbilt :D

What we didn't have last year was an elite team in the National Championship hunt. Va Tech has the potential to be that team this year, but time will tell. Have I ever said I love college football?

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Bama plays at least 5 other SEC teams, that's the toughest schedule in the country. Fl is the one everyone wants. The top teams usually get knocked off especially in the SEC. I don't see any team on your schedule except Bama.

hokiefan
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Bama plays at least 5 other SEC teams, that's the toughest schedule in the country. Fl is the one everyone wants. The top teams usually get knocked off especially in the SEC. I don't see any team on your schedule except Bama.

No argument that the SEC is good and Bama has a tough schedule. The top of the SEC beat all ACC comers last year. We did pretty good against the middle and bottom teams. Without a doubt, we had no elite team in the ACC last year.

Va Tech wasn't supposed to be good last year, but by the end of the year we had a pretty good team. Lost seven starters on defense and ended up top 10. Bud Foster is a genius. Wish I could say that about the Offensive Coordinator. But I will say the offense was at least servicable by year's end.

So how are you going to beat us? What positions give you an advantage? Or is Bama just superior because they are from the SEC? I love arguing the first, unit vs unit, you have some advantages and so do we. The second line of reasoning is just too much phooey!!!:D

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
07-28-2009, 08:06 PM
All SEC teams play 8 conference games. We play:

Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Miss State, LSU, and Auburn.

Our OOC schedule is Virginia Tech, Florida International, North Texas, and Chattanooga. Yes, the last three should be easily winnable, but honestly that's the idea, that and the five and a half million dollars in ticket sales (next year when the seating is over 100,000 it'll be over six million per). We need the money and we need to see our younger kids to play.

I am not going to argue one conference against another. On any given Saturday any team with 85 scholarships can beat any other (as evidenced by our losses over the years to teams like Louisiana-Monroe). Those things are fun for the fans to argue about but honestly every single week is a new game and presents different challenges.

My take on the Tide and Hokies is very simple: they aren't going to score much. We won't score much either. If our offensive line does their job just a little better than theirs does we win. The wild card in this game is Coach Beamer's special teams. The guy is probably the greatest special teams coach in college football history, and that aspect of this game really worries me. On offense I would give us a very slight edge even with a new qb (we averaged 32 ppg last year, have all of the same skill guys except for the qb, and we think this one is better. The only question at left tackle. If we find one early on we will be very good on offense.) On defense I'd say it's pretty even, though our strength and their strength on offense are going to collide. On special teams I will give them the edge. I am going to say we win anyway, 17-10.

Bobby, there's no bet. I will treat you to lunch any time you are in my neck of the woods. It would be my honor.

Mickey Lake

Mrleft8
07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I assume yer talking about Alabama, not Obama......:D

pefjr
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
No argument that the SEC is good and Bama has a tough schedule. The top of the SEC beat all ACC comers last year. We did pretty good against the middle and bottom teams. Without a doubt, we had no elite team in the ACC last year.

Va Tech wasn't supposed to be good last year, but by the end of the year we had a pretty good team. Lost seven starters on defense and ended up top 10. Bud Foster is a genius. Wish I could say that about the Offensive Coordinator. But I will say the offense was at least servicable by year's end.

So how are you going to beat us? What positions give you an advantage? Or is Bama just superior because they are from the SEC? I love arguing the first, unit vs unit, you have some advantages and so do we. The second line of reasoning is just too much phooey!!!:D

Cheers,

BobbyI know little about the tide, except its been rolling through History and nothing to stop them this year except the Gators and Tebow. The Bulldogs should be there also. All three have tough schedules, and are likely to be knocked off once or twice by their own conference buddies. Its hard to go undefeated in the SEC. If your gonna lose, lose early, so VT could come back and be playing Ga. Tech with one loss. And anytime you see GT in the top 25 pre-season, you know someone is not doing their homework.

I don't think Bama and VT will be close, or low scoring. More like 33-13

hokiefan
07-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I know little about the tide, except its been rolling through History and nothing to stop them this year except the Gators and Tebow. The Bulldogs should be there also. All three have tough schedules, and are likely to be knocked off once or twice by their own conference buddies. Its hard to go undefeated in the SEC. If your gonna lose, lose early, so VT could come back and be playing Ga. Tech with one loss. And anytime you see GT in the top 25 pre-season, you know someone is not doing their homework.

I don't think Bama and VT will be close, or low scoring. More like 33-13

So you're sticking with the SEC is simply superior theory? You do realize that GT beat the Dawgs last year, right? And the Dawgs lost Stafford and Moreno. I don't see them that good this year.

I'd take that 33-13 score. We get a pick-6 by confusing the new QB, a blocked punt TD, a return TD, and 4 field goals. That would be Beamerball at its finest.:D:D:D

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
GT under Paul Johnson is always going to be an interesting team. His teams at Georgia Southern and Navy were offensive masterpieces, and I expect the same at GT, for one reason because there are simply a lot of high schools who do not run a passing spread and do weird things like run a wing-t or option veer, and those quarterbacks and running backs are going to want a chance to play BCS-level football. GT will provide them with a nice chance to shine. I have a lot of respect for Paul Johnson.

VT might beat us. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if they did. But if they score 33 points in doing it I will have to say that 'shocked' would be an understatement.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
To be clear, Bama 33 -13.

hokiefan
07-30-2009, 08:54 AM
GT under Paul Johnson is always going to be an interesting team. His teams at Georgia Southern and Navy were offensive masterpieces, and I expect the same at GT, for one reason because there are simply a lot of high schools who do not run a passing spread and do weird things like run a wing-t or option veer, and those quarterbacks and running backs are going to want a chance to play BCS-level football. GT will provide them with a nice chance to shine. I have a lot of respect for Paul Johnson.

VT might beat us. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if they did. But if they score 33 points in doing it I will have to say that 'shocked' would be an understatement.

Mickey Lake

Mickey, I agree that GT will be good offensively this year, better than last as they learn the system. Their best RB, Jonathan Dwyer is a stud. Any team in the country would love to have him. We're loaded at RB, and we would take him in a heartbeat. To beat GT you have to play very disciplined assignment defense. Bud Foster got our defense to pull that off. Miami has never played disciplined defense and GT torched them. GT loses a lot on defense this year, I suspect that will be their achilles heel.

I don't really think we'll score 33 points on Bama. If you'll notice in my tongue in cheek scenario, the offense only scores 12 points, all on field goals. Bama's offense gets 13. I can see that happening. For us to win, we'll need a special teams or defensive score. Those things are integral parts of Beamerball, but they don't happen every game. I really see a bounce of the ball determining this one.

Your earlier comment on our special teams is interesting. In recent years, many of our fans complain that we don't block as many kicks as we used to. Thats in part because other teams have reacted and work more on special teams. So we have focused more on just being solid and winning the net yardage game so we work our way into good field position. It also helps to have a string of high percentage field goal kickers. We do block enough kicks to keep the reputation alive.

The wager was just to make things interesting. The offer for lunch is reciprocal if you're ever over this way.

Cheers,

Bobby

hokiefan
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
So only pefjr and Paul, huh? Any other Bama fans out there? Going to watch the NC State / South Carolina game just to get my opening fix of college football. So glad the season is finally here.

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
09-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Now, I'm not a big gambler. With friends around here I'll bet $1 to give some interest and make the payout in public and fun. Or I'll bet lunch, so the winner gets to gloat to a captive audience for an hour. The offer of lunch is on, but its not likely I'll be in Magnolia Springs or Hell anytime soon to payoff. So, any other good ideas for a fun wager? I'm open.

Okay, I'm pumped about football season now!

Bobby, I'm likely to make it your way sometime in the next several months, since I have brothers and sister in Savannah and Brunswick, so how 'bout a wager of a couple of beers at your favorite watering hole when I make it that way.

Roll Tide!

Paul Pless
09-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Oh a prediction. I've never understood people who predict scores, but I will predict that this game is a whole lot cleaner and classier than that one played in Boise the other day...

bamamick
09-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Whew! That was a game!

Your guys played well Bobby, but our kids wanted this in the second half in the worst way. You have to understand that our offensive line was starting three new guys, and of course McElroy was starting his first game. We made too many mistakes and it took too long to get going on offense, but our defense? I would put our defense up against anyone.

I don't know how you guys will do in the ACC. I know this was a first game and lots of crazy things happen in first games. I NEVER would have picked this score in a hundred years, but I did say that our defense is very good and I believe that 150 yards given up is evidence of that. I just don't think Tyrod Taylor is that good, but you guys have some players and I wouldn't be surprised to see you make some big noise in your league.

Well, 1-0 and feeling a whole lot better about things right now.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Okay, I'm pumped about football season now!

Bobby, I'm likely to make it your way sometime in the next several months, since I have brothers and sister in Savannah and Brunswick, so how 'bout a wager of a couple of beers at your favorite watering hole when I make it that way.

Roll Tide!

Well I'll accept this in retrospect, even though I didn't like how the game turned out.:( Since I don't drink though, how about I change the offer to I'll buy you lunch? Let me know when you'll be around, if during the week I can meet you in Brunswick, since I'm working in Jacksonville.

pefjr, if you'll PM me your snail mail address, I'll send you your dollar.

Whew! That was a game!

Your guys played well Bobby, but our kids wanted this in the second half in the worst way. You have to understand that our offensive line was starting three new guys, and of course McElroy was starting his first game. We made too many mistakes and it took too long to get going on offense, but our defense? I would put our defense up against anyone.

I don't know how you guys will do in the ACC. I know this was a first game and lots of crazy things happen in first games. I NEVER would have picked this score in a hundred years, but I did say that our defense is very good and I believe that 150 yards given up is evidence of that. I just don't think Tyrod Taylor is that good, but you guys have some players and I wouldn't be surprised to see you make some big noise in your league.

Well, 1-0 and feeling a whole lot better about things right now.

Mickey Lake

I saw some good and bad in our performance. I believe we have a running back. Our O-line looked OK at times, others not so much. I think a lot of that is who they lined up against. I think Bama's front 7 is probably the best in college football, said that before the game too. Time will tell on Tyrod, I think he's better than he showed, in part because of the just mentioned Bama D. We did manage to stay in the game, in large part because of classic BeamerBall, a special teams score, another one set up by good special teams, good punting to get out of trouble, and a score set up by a defensive take-away. Both teams scored more than I would have guessed, that's why you play the game. I've never liked that line, "They just wanted it more." I can't imagine any player on any team that didn't "want it bad" at the end of a game like that. But I think your OC put your offense in a better position with good adjustments to take advantage of our D's weaknesses. It helps he has some great players to work with.

I think Bama will make a lot of noise before the season is over. I think Florida is the team to beat, but Bama will give them a run for their money. VT can be good this year, it all depends on how they respond from this game. Have I said I love college football?

The one thing good that happened this weekend (football wise) is that UVa lost to William & Mary!:p I know, I'm supposed to root for fellow conference teams and all, but anyone who beats the silly Hoos is a friend of mine. Oh, thats bad though, if UVa finally fires Al Groh we'll lose our best recruiter!:D

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Bobby, sorry to sneak a change of wager in there without giving you a chance to reply, that was not my intent. How 'bout we just go dutch?

It was great football game! I think there's much excitement in store for these teams this season...

Mrleft8
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I think there's much excitement in store for these teams this season... Legal, or academic?:rolleyes:
It's freakin' football for christ's sake! How much "excitement" can you have? Watching a bunch of steroid pumped, half braindead hog farmers bash their heads in and pat eachother on the ass doesn't rank on my excitmentometer.

hokiefan
09-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Bobby, sorry to sneak a change of wager in there without giving you a chance to reply, that was not my intent. How 'bout we just go dutch?

It was great football game! I think there's much excitement in store for these teams this season...

Not a problem. While I didn't see it until Sunday morning (I rarely spend much time on the computer on the weekends) I certainly would have accepted. A lunch wager is more fun anyway. I wish the game had turned out differently, but I'm not terribly surprised. Let me know when you're down this way. That would be a good trip to schedule in January or February, to escape from the colds of Hell.:D Bring Katherine and show her how nice a Southern winter is.

Lefty just doesn't get it, does he?

Cheers,

Bobby

Concordia...41
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Lefty just doesn't get it, does he?

Cheers,

Bobby

Since he watches football with the tv turned around facing the wall and the sound off, my guess is that would be a no! ;)

I'm glad someone brought the thread by up. It was a good game. :)

- M

pefjr
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
great game, closer than I thought it would be. Game of the week this week is USC at Ohio St. USC has to make no mistakes to win. USC 31 - Ohio St.20

hokiefan
09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
great game, closer than I thought it would be. Game of the week this week is USC at Ohio St. USC has to make no mistakes to win. USC 31 - Ohio St.20

Hey Bud, check your PM's.

Bobby

pefjr
09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey Bud, check your PM's.

BobbyI got it, sent one back

bamamick
09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't even want to venture a guess on the USC-OhioStateU score because I don't want Paul to punch me the next time he sees me.

imo, the only reason that USC EVER loses a game is because it is so hard for them to get 'up' for some of them (like road games to Corvallis or home games against pitiful Stanford teams). I haven't looked this year, but last year USC had something like SEVEN five-star kids playing tailback! Most schools would flip out over ONE kid like that, USC has a pile of them.

Last year in this game USC could have named their won score. Any reason to believe this year will be different?

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Mickey, LOL (nervously)

There's only two schools that I really get nervous over the Buckeye's them. They are Alabama, because it divides my loyalties and recently USC. Normally no matter how tough the opponent is I like to see the Buckeyes play them. But for some reason Pete Carrol's USC teams are frikkin scary... good football teams just end up out of the game within a few minutes of kickoff it seems.

That said, The Buckeyes were clearly looking past their home opener to the Trojans; the type of game they played last week should lead to a highly motivated week of practice; being an underdog in the Horseshoe goes without saying that has to be a supreme motivator.

So I'm optimistic that they give a good showing and pull out awin in close game.

pefjr
09-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Tennessee at Florida-30. Wow, lot of points for SEC rival game, anything can happen here, but with it in the Swamp I say Florida will prevail 45-28.

Hokie, your team is gonna have to play damn near perfect football, can they do it? They have the home field advantage.

Nebraska vs Va Tech -5 . I say VT 34-28

Another couple interesting games could be Fla. St. at BYU, Can the Cougars play with the big dogs again. Probably, but not cover -8

Georgia vs Arkansas-2 I take Bulldogs and the 2 points.

bamamick
09-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Isn't college football wonderful?

Mickey Lake

pefjr
09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
VT, whew!!

bamamick
09-19-2009, 07:33 PM
FSU is whipping BYU in Utah! Rough day for the usually solid Mountain West, and a bit of a rebound day for the ACC.

Mickey Lake

George Jung
09-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Nebraska shoulda had that one - even with an offense that was useless in the red zone. Someone had a 'lapse' in the secondary, and that's all VT needed.
Take a look at the stats - second half was pretty flat, offensively (until about a minute left)

Yeah, you don't want to have too much 'invested' with a bunch of college boys at the controls!

Paul Girouard
09-19-2009, 10:29 PM
How about those Huskies over USC since you guys are avoiding my thread I figured I bring the great news here:D

George Jung
09-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Interestng how highly touted USC is every year (and why not - they have pick of the crop, year after year, and a good staff), and what, four of the last six, they get knocked off, generally by someone not felt a threat. Must be the California laid back attitude.

Paul Girouard
09-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Interestng how highly touted USC is every year (and why not - they have pick of the crop, year after year, and a good staff), and what, four of the last six, they get knocked off, generally by someone not felt a threat. Must be the California laid back attitude.

They do have some injuried players , thier QB was a sophomore , IIRC, but those all sound like excuses don't they?

George Jung
09-20-2009, 10:40 AM
What happened to their hot freshman quarterback?

Yeah, that's the problem with CFB - just when you get a ringer, the bugger either graduates (in six years) or goes early, where the big money is.

pefjr
09-20-2009, 03:03 PM
George, Matt is injured. Next week is gonna be good, Ole Miss at South Carolina Thurs. night.

Hokie, your opportunity: double or nothing on Miami at VT?

South Florida vs Florida State
North Carolina vs Georgia Tech

Interesting: USF, Fl., Miami all undefeated and FSU one loss against a Florida team. That tell you something Hokiefan?

Interesting: SEC has 3 of top 5 teams
6 of top ten teams are in the south

OK, big deal, same story every year.

hokiefan
09-21-2009, 09:37 AM
George, Matt is injured. Next week is gonna be good, Ole Miss at South Carolina Thurs. night.

Hokie, your opportunity: double or nothing on Miami at VT?

South Florida vs Florida State
North Carolina vs Georgia Tech

Interesting: USF, Fl., Miami all undefeated and FSU one loss against a Florida team. That tell you something Hokiefan?

Interesting: SEC has 3 of top 5 teams
6 of top ten teams are in the south

OK, big deal, same story every year.

Sure, that there are a boat load of football players coming out of Florida high schools each year. That in itself is ancient history. For obvious reasons I've never been a Miami fan. But I like what Randy Shannon is starting to do with his team. Watched the first three quarters of the Miami/GT game. Miami played hard and disciplined on defense. Miami has never had a disciplined defense, ever in the past. They would play hard and fast, great athletes, but not disciplined. But last Thursday night, they had a plan, and everyone did their job. And did it well. Miami could be a really good team this year. Hopefully every night except 9/26! Yeah, I'll take your double or nothing.

George, I thought Nebraska had that one. Our kids just played the full 60 minutes and a couple of plays came together. A scrambling QB makes it a lot harder to avoid those secondary lapses when you have to hold coverage for 8-10 seconds. He may not have "looked good" Saturday afternoon, but our kid is a winner, thats his 4th come from behind win in the 4th quarter in 2-1/4 years, the first two splitting time.

Most amazing finish ever in Lane, and we've seen a few good ones.

Cheers,

Bobby

George Jung
09-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, he was having a really tough game (second half was abysmal, for both teams offense), but.... he never said die.

The Nebraska teams of old (think 90's/three national championships) had that same mental toughness. It's fascinating - how difficult it is to get 'the walk' back after it's been squandered. I think it'll happen under Pelini, just a question of when.

VT - very scrappy. They won't have the luxury of 'hanging around', by the looks of some of their future games. Miami, yes - looking very good. A disciplined, athletic, incredibly fast Hurricane team - ooh! I don't like that at all...

pefjr
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
I am hoping Steve Spurrier's team pulls an upset tonight. Its hard to believe Ol Miss as #4

hokiefan
09-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I am hoping Steve Spurrier's team pulls an upset tonight. Its hard to believe Ol Miss as #4

I've always had trouble rooting for Steve Superior, but tonight I have to pull for the "Old Ball Coach"

The press seems to have written us off versus Miami on Saturday. Thats fine, we've always performed better with the underdog label. Miami is looking a little scary, but our history with them is amazingly even. 9-9 in terms of games won. 391-391 in terms of points scored. Pretty close historically...:D

The game is at Lane Stadium, that helps us obviously. Our passing game isn't pretty, but Tyrod Taylor historically plays much better against man coverage teams than zone. Miami plays predominately man-to-man. Time will tell how that plays out.

Miami's QB, Jacorry Harris, has looked great so far. I mean, really good. That said, I think our secondary will be the best he's seen to date. One thing that makes him look so good is his OL. Through the first two games he's been sacked once, and hurried not once. We have to change that or we lose, plain and simple. If I were the defensive coordinator I'd send 8 guys on the first obvious passing situation and tell them all to make a big hit whether or not he had the ball. Take the penalty if need be, but get his uniform dirty from the start. Repeat as needed until he's a bit rattled. Guess that's why I'm not a DC :D

Have I ever said I love college football?

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
09-24-2009, 04:21 PM
I've always had trouble rooting for Steve Superior, but tonight I have to pull for the "Old Ball Coach"

The press seems to have written us off versus Miami on Saturday. Thats fine, we've always performed better with the underdog label. Miami is looking a little scary, but our history with them is amazingly even. 9-9 in terms of games won. 391-391 in terms of points scored. Pretty close historically...:D

The game is at Lane Stadium, that helps us obviously. Our passing game isn't pretty, but Tyrod Taylor historically plays much better against man coverage teams than zone. Miami plays predominately man-to-man. Time will tell how that plays out.

Miami's QB, Jacorry Harris, has looked great so far. I mean, really good. That said, I think our secondary will be the best he's seen to date. One thing that makes him look so good is his OL. Through the first two games he's been sacked once, and hurried not once. We have to change that or we lose, plain and simple. If I were the defensive coordinator I'd send 8 guys on the first obvious passing situation and tell them all to make a big hit whether or not he had the ball. Take the penalty if need be, but get his uniform dirty from the start. Repeat as needed until he's a bit rattled. Guess that's why I'm not a DC :D

Have I ever said I love college football?

Cheers,

Bobbythe most important thing is that you have home field advantage. Both good teams, I expect it to be a close game.

hokiefan
09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
the most important thing is that you have home field advantage. Both good teams, I expect it to be a close game.

You would think so, but it doesn't seem to matter in this rivalry. We have kicked their butt in Lane and in Miami, and they have returned the favor. We have squeaked them in Lane and in Miami, they have done likewise. The only real constant is that the games are always fast, hardhitting snotbubble type games. My favorite kind.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
09-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Arkansas versus Alabama in Bryant-Denny Saturday afternoon. The national CBS game, and the weather is supposed to be very rough. Bob Petrino brings Ryan Mallett and his gunslinger offense to Tuscaloosa to see if they can steal one.

Last year this game was something like 42-7, and the Tide is a 14 point favourite. Their offense is probably every bit as good as ours is, but their defense doesn't hold a candle to Alabama's and I don't expect to lose this game.

My pick: Alabama 31 Arkansas 21. I hate to give them that many points, but I do believe that they are as potent an offense as there is in the SEC right now.

Rootin' for the Hokies this weekend!

Mickey Lake

pefjr
09-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Arkansas versus Alabama in Bryant-Denny Saturday afternoon. The national CBS game, and the weather is supposed to be very rough. Bob Petrino brings Ryan Mallett and his gunslinger offense to Tuscaloosa to see if they can steal one.

Last year this game was something like 42-7, and the Tide is a 14 point favourite. Their offense is probably every bit as good as ours is, but their defense doesn't hold a candle to Alabama's and I don't expect to lose this game.

My pick: Alabama 31 Arkansas 21. I hate to give them that many points, but I do believe that they are as potent an offense as there is in the SEC right now.

Rootin' for the Hokies this weekend!

Mickey Lakeyep, Arkansas might be trouble for Alabama. Their offense looked strong, I am taking the 14 points and hoping they can stay close.

bamamick
09-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Very good day for the Tide and the Hokies. We lost one of our great linebackers for the season with a knee, but other than that it was a very good day. Arkansas has a HUGE offensive line and it took awhile for the Tide to adjust, but once again we held an opponent to well under 100 yards rushing, and Mallett connected for only 160 yards (he was averaging 378 ypg).

On to Lexington for the Tide. Looking to go 5-0 and 2-0 in the league.

Mickey Lake

Tom Montgomery
09-26-2009, 07:24 PM
OMG. Florida 31 Kentucky 0 after the first quarter. Florida 31 Kentucky 7 at the half. And we play Alabama next week?

Thank God I am a transplant and actually root for Ohio State. ;)

Concordia...41
09-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Hopefully Kentucky made some sort of come back. It was just too hard to watch so I turned it off ... :(

And is it my imagination, but is Tim Tebow all grown up? :confused: Or should I say bulked out? Jeeze he's big. Body-wise he looked like he'd fit right into any NFL jersey...

Tom Montgomery
09-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, Margo, Tebow is a big boy .

He got his bell rung in the third quarter and will not return to the game. It was a clean, hard hit. His head took a hit on a teammate's knee as he was going down. They kept him on the sidelines for about 15 minutes and then took him into the locker room on a cart. He was throwing up. No doubt he suffered a concussion. I hope he comes out of it OK. Concussions can be nasty. Once you've had one you're more likely to suffer another. :(

pefjr
09-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Arkansas left their football team at home, VT has its grove back, Florida, as usual looked great, and what's this USF? USF is my alma mater, though when I was there we had only a nothing Basketball team. The President said, "We emphasize academics here". Somewhere along the line they discovered the almighty sports dollar, I guess. Undefeated, wow.

hokiefan
09-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Wow. I was a little worried about Miami, but our kids came to play! Our Offensive and Defensive Coordinators gave them a good plan and they put it to good use. Classic Beamerball. Defensive turnovers give the offense a short field, they punched it in. Score on special teams. Run the ball hard, throw it opportunistically. I think we may have found a special running back. Time to focus on Duke now.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
09-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Hokie, too bad USF and VT doesn't meet. Maybe a bowl game? It will be interesting to see if USF can make it undefeated as far as Nov 28 when they meet Miami. No tough games on their schedule. Next Sat. games:

LSU vs Ga
OK vs Miami
USC vs Cal
Auburn vs TN
USF vs Syracuse

pefjr
09-29-2009, 08:11 PM
My top ten

1-Fl
2-TX
3-Alabama
4-USC
5-VT
6-LSU-could be No-1 if they win the next two games. (Ga and FL)
7-Boise St. ??? hard to tell how good these guys are.
8-Ga.
9-Ohio St.
10-Iowa

bamamick
09-30-2009, 06:51 AM
You do realize that Mississippi State deserved to win that game against LSU, don't you? That State had twice as many first downs and about 50% more yardage? And that this is the State team that Auburn beat by about 28 points?

Personally I believe that LSU are pretenders this year, and have no faith that Jordan Jefferson can win a big game for them, but we'll see. I don't think that Georgia is that good either, and don't have a clue who'll win this week, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in whoever wins this one.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
09-30-2009, 07:40 AM
You do realize that Mississippi State deserved to win that game against LSU, don't you? That State had twice as many first downs and about 50% more yardage? And that this is the State team that Auburn beat by about 28 points?

Personally I believe that LSU are pretenders this year, and have no faith that Jordan Jefferson can win a big game for them, but we'll see. I don't think that Georgia is that good either, and don't have a clue who'll win this week, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in whoever wins this one.

Mickey Lakeput your top ten up. David G thinks OR is a better team, than rated. Its early in the season. No, I don't think LSU is going to beat Fl.but.......its the SEC, anything can happen.

Auburn, Michigan, Cinncinati, Houston, TCU are all undefeated. Houston has a weak schedule and will certainly move up(unless upset) as others get knock off.

hokiefan
09-30-2009, 08:08 AM
My top ten

1-Fl
2-TX
3-Alabama
4-USC
5-VT
6-LSU-could be No-1 if they win the next two games. (Ga and FL)
7-Boise St. ??? hard to tell how good these guys are.
8-Ga.
9-Ohio St.
10-Iowa

I think you have the top three right, except maybe they should be 1A/B/C because I don't see much difference. USC should be in there with the talent they have, but they didn't take care of business. I think VT has the potential to be really good, I like the chemistry of this team, but time will tell. Quite honestly, we have the record I expected, not quite the one I hoped for.:D Haven't followed most of the other teams that closely, so I don't know. It is way too early for polls that matter, thats a fact.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
I think you have the top three right, except maybe they should be 1A/B/C because I don't see much difference. USC should be in there with the talent they have, but they didn't take care of business. I think VT has the potential to be really good, I like the chemistry of this team, but time will tell. Quite honestly, we have the record I expected, not quite the one I hoped for.:D Haven't followed most of the other teams that closely, so I don't know. It is way too early for polls that matter, thats a fact.

Cheers,

BobbyThe top ten is a "work in progress". Come Jan..2010, USF could be #1? Heck, they have got a better record than VT:D

hokiefan
09-30-2009, 11:38 AM
The top ten is a "work in progress". Come Jan..2010, USF could be #1? Heck, they have got a better record than VT:D

Could be... only time will tell. We'll learn a little about them when they play Cincinatti and Miami.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
10-04-2009, 09:11 AM
The Tide wins in Lexington 38-20. Tight for most of the first half, then we scored two touchdowns in 19 seconds just before the break and it was pretty much over. UK had to play Florida and Alabama back to back, so they had a rough stretch.

Pretty much a 'let's just get this over with' game after the half. No one got hurt. Nothing fancy. Just glad it's over and move on to Ole Miss next week.

VT got by the Dookies. Happy for Bobby.

A lot of people overcritique games like this but you have to understand that it is a long season jammed full of emotion. It is very tough to stay 'up' for twelve or thirteen games. In the NFL you can lose a few and still win the Super Bowl. Right now Oklahoma is sitting at 3-2 and their season is over. Yeah, they can win the Big 12 (and I am sure Texas will have something to say about that), but they are NOT going to the MNC game, period!

Ah well. 5-0, donchaknow! On to Oxford.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
10-04-2009, 10:02 AM
SEC teams will tumble in the Top Ten the next 4 wks, simply by knocking each other off. Tough being the best, and having to play the best every other week. Meanwhile USC, Texas, VT, Ohio ST. Boise ST. will skate by with easy schedules, and are certain to move up the rankings.

This next week:

Fl vs LSU hmmm.... is this the National Championship game in October?
Ala vs ol Miss- not gonna be easy bamamick
Mich vs Iowa I am predicting an upset , Iowa is going down
Cinnci vs USF- is this USF team for real ?
Ga. has another tough rivalry vs Tn

Auburn 5-0 and unranked???

hokiefan
10-05-2009, 07:14 AM
SEC teams will tumble in the Top Ten the next 4 wks, simply by knocking each other off. Tough being the best, and having to play the best every other week. Meanwhile USC, Texas, VT, Ohio ST. Boise ST. will skate by with easy schedules, and are certain to move up the rankings.

This next week:

Fl vs LSU hmmm.... is this the National Championship game in October?
Ala vs ol Miss- not gonna be easy bamamick
Mich vs Iowa I am predicting an upset , Iowa is going down
Cinnci vs USF- is this USF team for real ?
Ga. has another tough rivalry vs Tn

Auburn 5-0 and unranked???

Would have been nice to play well against Duke, but we got a W in a trap game. One of the few teams so far that managed to win their trap game, hope we can keep it up. We're not going to sneak up on anyone this year.

I think if you check, most sites have VT's strength of schedule in the top 10 this year. The schedule was a little front end loaded, but its a good one. Our only loss so far to one of two teams I think wins it all. Not a bad start.

I think the MNC will be decided in the SEC Championship game. Florida vs Alabama in a slobbernocker. Who wins? Flip a coin.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
If any of the SEC teams go undefeated their practically in. But that is an almost impossible season in the SEC. Auburn was 13-0 and #2. On the other hand, LSU won it with 2 losses. Hold up a football and drop it. If you can prediction the direction of the bounce, maybe you can predict the National Championship winner. Texas has the best chance to get into the BCS, with soft schedule. A late in season loss will eliminate any team. Tough schedules are hard on injuries. On and on, your right, flip a coin. Maybe that unpredictability is what makes it fun. The one thing you can predict about the college football is that there will be surprise upsets(kinda like the bounce), you can almost look for them.

bamamick
10-11-2009, 08:33 AM
The Tide defeats Ole Miss 22-3 in Oxford to go to 6-0, 3-0 in the league, and to take control of first place in the SEC west. Alabama held Ole Miss to 19 total yards in the first half and 201 total for the game. Ole Miss' supposed first-round quarterback, Jevan Snead, threw for 150 yards in the game and four interceptions.

This Alabama team is impressing me. They can win by throwing the ball, by running the ball, with defense, and with the kicking game. An Arkansas team we beat 35-7 (and Alabama was taking a knee at their 15 yard line with over a minute left) has scored over 40 ppg in every other game they've played this year, including yesterdays' thrashing of previously unbeaten Auburn. This Ole Miss team was ranked as high as fifth in the nation this year. Kentucky has won four straight bowl games, and though they have struggled through a tough schedule this year, they are solid, and the Tide won by 18 at their place. Not to mention Virginia Tech, who will be rated fourth in the country this week. The game with Virginia Tech was not as close as the score (480 yards for Bama to about 180 for the Hokies).

The Tide hosts another solid team this week, 5-1 South Carolina. This'll be homecoming for Alabama and the first of three straight home games (SoCar, Tennessee, and LSU). Here's hoping things keep rolling.

Hey Bobby, congrats on crushing BC. Can you handle Tech's running game? I watched the end of that game last night. Pretty awesome display.

Mickey Lake

George Jung
10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Really hard to tell 'which team' is playing, week to week. Nebraska beat VT in every category except the important one - but commentators noted how they seem to be improving in leaps and bounds. It'll be interesting to see where VT is by year end.

Alabama does look impressive. I'd think the winner of Ala/FS would be in the drivers seat. Texas should cruise, but... never know in the Big 12. Nebraska looks pretty good on defense (anyone catch the Mizzou game?), especially their line. Their offense 'has it's moments', but except for that 4th qtr burst, looks pretty average. Not impressed by the O line. Maybe by years end? Taking on the South winner won't be an easy task, though, whether it's Nebr or Kansas. Pretty outgunned, I think.

Tebow - a bit of an animal.

bamamick
10-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Is Iowa lucky, good, or both?

Wisconsin outgained Ohio State 2 to 1 and lost big!

The Red River game just got a lot tougher for Tejas.

Cincinnati and South Florida playing for a berth in the national championship game?

Vandy looks like they are back to being Vandy.

Georgia looks like they are tired, and the season is only half over.

The Black Bears hold off Hofstra on the road!

I LOVE college football!

George Jung
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM
If you're not one of the BCS teams, 'breaking in' on the big dance will be difficult. Look at how many undefeated teams are way down the ladder, behind others with 1 loss already. I know, strength of schedule and all.... but watching some of these top schools get their heads handed to them in subsequent games, makes that suspect, as well.

I love college fb, too - but we need a play-off!

Now there's something we can get behind!

Paul Girouard
10-11-2009, 11:07 AM
How about the Huskies pull out a last minute win over Arizona!

SEATTLE (AP) - Washington's Mason Foster (http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/foster_mason00.html) intercepted a deflected pass off the foot of Arizona's Delashaun Dean and returned the carom 37 yards for a touchdown with 2:37 left, and the Huskies rallied with two touchdowns in the final three minutes to stun the Wildcats 36-33 on Saturday night.

Quite a catch , Foster had a great game all around , this catch was just one of his better plays.

Huskies seem to be a really hard working team this season , after the last 4 or 5 years it's nice to tune in expecting to see or hear a good game instead of a blow out.

hokiefan
10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
The Tide defeats Ole Miss 22-3 in Oxford to go to 6-0, 3-0 in the league, and to take control of first place in the SEC west. Alabama held Ole Miss to 19 total yards in the first half and 201 total for the game. Ole Miss' supposed first-round quarterback, Jevan Snead, threw for 150 yards in the game and four interceptions.

This Alabama team is impressing me. They can win by throwing the ball, by running the ball, with defense, and with the kicking game. An Arkansas team we beat 35-7 (and Alabama was taking a knee at their 15 yard line with over a minute left) has scored over 40 ppg in every other game they've played this year, including yesterdays' thrashing of previously unbeaten Auburn. This Ole Miss team was ranked as high as fifth in the nation this year. Kentucky has won four straight bowl games, and though they have struggled through a tough schedule this year, they are solid, and the Tide won by 18 at their place. Not to mention Virginia Tech, who will be rated fourth in the country this week. The game with Virginia Tech was not as close as the score (480 yards for Bama to about 180 for the Hokies).

The Tide hosts another solid team this week, 5-1 South Carolina. This'll be homecoming for Alabama and the first of three straight home games (SoCar, Tennessee, and LSU). Here's hoping things keep rolling.

Hey Bobby, congrats on crushing BC. Can you handle Tech's running game? I watched the end of that game last night. Pretty awesome display.

Mickey Lake

Our game with Bama was pretty classic Beamerball. Get enough of the unconventional stuff (special teams, etc) right to stay in the game when the rest isn't so pretty. Special teams can be a game changer, the KR for a TD was almost that. Defense made a few too many assignment mistakes and gave up some big plays. Foster counts on his LB's to play smart. Our new inside LB made three assignment mistakes that day. One gave up a TD, on a run play he blew up on the next series after Foster corrected him. Another gave up a big pass that set up a FG. Another he got lucky on. Against BC he got that stuff right, and check out the results. I'd love to see a rematch at the end of the year for all the marbles. We have a much better team today than 9/5. By the same token, I'm sure Bama has improved as well. Thats the mark of good teams, they get better everyday.

GT's run game will be test. The D has to play disciplined, assignment football. See comments above, here's hoping! Last year, Foster decided to deny Jonathan Dwyer. He told one DT and one LB their only job was to tackle Dwyer every play without fail. He ended up sore with about 50 yards. The outside LB's and the CB's held the outside pitch pretty much under control. Nesbitt had a big, big day but couldn't win by himself. Will be interesting how Foster approaches it this year. LSU took away Nesbitt in the bowl game with pretty good results. He will have a strategy and the kids will have to execute. This year I think the D gets a little help from the O though. I think our O is really starting to come together. Strong powerful running, with a bit of Ryan Williams dazzle, and lately some good success in the passing game.

Bama is looking really good to me. I believe if they take care of business, its the Bama/Gators winner that takes it all.

Yes, I love college football.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Alabama looked great ,moved up to #2
Gator defense is ..well...... the best.
I would take USC up to #3, possibly VT
LSU is better than I thought, watch out Bama.
Georgia is a victim of a tough, tough schedule, their mission from here on out is to knock off the undefeated. The Gators a likely target.
Will OK knock off Texas? The only hard game Texas has left.
George, I noticed that too, Nebraska has been overlooked and is underrated
Oregon also underrated

bamamick
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
As far as the SEC goes, we know LSU very, very well. We are not intimidated by anything they can do, but we do respect that defense. The irony of LSU is that they may have the best receiver corps in the league with no one to throw it to them (I am knocking on wood as I type. Long may it continue).

Right this minute I would not give Georgia a chance in Hades of beating Florida.
As a matter of fact, I would guess that Florida's defense will outscore UGa's offense. Now that Coach Richt has pulled Cox who knows what is going to happen over there. I agree that they way overscheduled this year. I hope that that's a lesson to all of these Tide fans who complain because we don't play a top 25 team every single week. Everyone needs a chance to rest their starters, get their young guys some work, and get the fans a happy-day win. imo Alabama playing the SEC and VT, along with the possibility of playing UF in the SECCG again and then hopefully a BCS game, enough of a difficult schedule to make anyone happy.

Next week's headline games are Arkansas-UF and Bama-SoCar. I fully expect the Tide and Gators to get the job done once again. Alabama showed Florida how to beat Arkansas, and even though South Carolina is a couple of points and a few yards from being 6-0, their wins over NCSU (by seven, at Raleigh), Ole Miss (by six at home), and UK (by two, at home) plus their two wins over DI-AA schools aren't very intimidating right now. I know that you can't really compare games, but Alabama beat UK by 18 in Lexington and Ole Miss by 19 in Oxford.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
10-11-2009, 06:35 PM
That's all well and good but upsets are the nature of the SEC. When LSU and Alabama meet, all analysis goes out the window, take the points. When Fl and Ga meet in Jacksonville, take the points every time. History. Even Auburn is a threat to knock off Alabama, its tradition. And the same with FSU and Fl. They live only to put a loss on your record.

George Jung
10-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Yep, it's dangerous to put too much trust in a bunch of college boys...

Don't know if Nebraska is under-rated, or not; they're living off their defense right now, but show glimpses of being much better. You get on the field with any of the folks in the top five, you'd better have your A game on; don't know if Nebr. has one yet. But... we'll see!

bamamick
10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
What you are going to see with Auburn is an erosion in the ability of that team to make plays. They have no depth on either line or at linebacker and as the weeks wear on it is going to show. On the other hand, they play a Kentucky team this week that's the most injury riddled team in the SEC, and iirc they play them in Auburn. I am not really worried about Auburn unless Alabama begins to sustain injuries.

You are right, though. The SEC is a minefield.

Mickey Lake

cs
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Just wanted to add that even though we are in a "rebuilding" year, we can still hang tough. I don't know if anyone caught the TN vs Georgia game, but my Vols handed it to those Dawgs.

Chad

hokiefan
10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Just wanted to add that even though we are in a "rebuilding" year, we can still hang tough. I don't know if anyone caught the TN vs Georgia game, but my Vols handed it to those Dawgs.

Chad

Living in the heart of Dawgworld, I certainly took notice (and great delight) in that game. I'll have to enjoy it while I can, cause the big sister wants to go to Georgia next year. Ah well, can't win em all.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Living in the heart of Dawgworld, I certainly took notice (and great delight) in that game. I'll have to enjoy it while I can, cause the big sister wants to go to Georgia next year. Ah well, can't win em all.

Cheers,

BobbyStart today showing her pictures of white sand beaches of South Florida, palm trees, winter temps in the 70's, Hurricane football history, smell of the orange groves, clear water of Biscayne Bay, near Bahamas, great sailing year round, mariners and dolphins, spearfishing, scuba diving,fly fishing, bottom fishing, dolphin fishing, sail fishing, fresh mangos, fresh avocados, fresh air, the keys,sea aquarium,on and on.

If you have to as a last resort, show her pictures of boys.:)

hokiefan
10-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Start today showing her pictures of white sand beaches of South Florida, palm trees, winter temps in the 70's, Hurricane football history, smell of the orange groves, clear water of Biscayne Bay, near Bahamas, great sailing year round, mariners and dolphins, spearfishing, scuba diving,fly fishing, bottom fishing, dolphin fishing, sail fishing, fresh mangos, fresh avocados, fresh air, the keys,sea aquarium,on and on.

If you have to as a last resort, show her pictures of boys.:)

Thing is, with the State of Georgia's Hope Scholarship and her grades all we'll have to cover at UGa is room/board and general expenses. Pretty good deal. Any school out of state will cost significantly more. I have to admit UGa is a good fit for her career thoughts as she thinks she's going into law. I may end up having to be a secondary Dawg fan, rooting for them unless they're playing VT. The things you do for your kids.:eek:

Boys are truly the last resort, but UGa isn't lacking for wealthy southern boys, if the truth be told.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Don't worry, one of my kid's degree has 'Auburn University' on it, though it was from their Montgomery campus. When friends ask how I feel about her graduating from Auburn, I just smile and say that I am as proud as I can possibly be.

Georgia has it going on with student aid to their good in-state kids. The University of Alabama seems a lot more interested in bringing in top students from out of state than they do encouraging our own in-state kids. My youngest daughter was one of the top students in her 4,000 student high school and one of the best in the region. She was president of her class all four years in high school. Played soccer. Was all-state band. Took nothing but college prep classes and had a 3.9 or something like that, graduating a semester early to go on ahead to college. My beloved University did not offer her one dollar of financial aid. Not one dollar. We had a deal that if she could get her choice of schools (Huntingdon College in Montgomery) to pay her way down to the equal in costs of the University that she could go there, and she did!

By all accounts the University of Georgia is a very good school.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Don't worry, one of my kid's degree has 'Auburn University' on it, though it was from their Montgomery campus. When friends ask how I feel about her graduating from Auburn, I just smile and say that I am as proud as I can possibly be.

Georgia has it going on with student aid to their good in-state kids. The University of Alabama seems a lot more interested in bringing in top students from out of state than they do encouraging our own in-state kids. My youngest daughter was one of the top students in her 4,000 student high school and one of the best in the region. She was president of her class all four years in high school. Played soccer. Was all-state band. Took nothing but college prep classes and had a 3.9 or something like that, graduating a semester early to go on ahead to college. My beloved University did not offer her one dollar of financial aid. Not one dollar. We had a deal that if she could get her choice of schools (Huntingdon College in Montgomery) to pay her way down to the equal in costs of the University that she could go there, and she did!

By all accounts the University of Georgia is a very good school.

Mickey Lake

The Hope Scholarship has significantly upgraded the student population at all of the state schools. UGa has seen the most dramatic increase because they can pick the cream off the top. A lot of kids now can't get into UGa, hopefully the big sister gets good news on her early admission application. Georgia Tech hasn't seen much change because they were already an elite engineering school.

I love your comment on your Auburn kid! My best friend growing up, Bill, was from a decidedly UVa family and was one of three boys. Bill went to UVa, the middle brother went to Va Tech, and the little brother went to UVa. The middle brother catches crap to this day, but the reality is all three went to the school that was the best fit for their personality.

Life is funny sometimes.

Bobby

pefjr
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Becoming a Bulldog fan is easy. An SEC fan is even better, then you will have 4/5 teams every year to cheer on.

bamamick
10-12-2009, 06:13 PM
The Hope scholarship has also hastened the retirement of more than one good SEC baseball coach. Schools like Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU can offer their in-state baseball players Hope scholarships and save their 11 full rides for out of state kids. That way when Alabama or Mississippi State or Ole Miss play a baseball series against one of those other schools, they are playing with 11 scholarshipped athletes against 25 scholarshipped athletes. Doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about, but around here it is a pretty hot topic.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
10-13-2009, 07:32 AM
The Hope scholarship has also hastened the retirement of more than one good SEC baseball coach. Schools like Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU can offer their in-state baseball players Hope scholarships and save their 11 full rides for out of state kids. That way when Alabama or Mississippi State or Ole Miss play a baseball series against one of those other schools, they are playing with 11 scholarshipped athletes against 25 scholarshipped athletes. Doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about, but around here it is a pretty hot topic.

Mickey Lake

Never thought about that but its true. The law of unintended consequences sometimes works in your favor. When I was at Va Tech we were in the Metro Conference for basketball and baseball. We had a good baseball team but always came in second to FSU. Had a baseball player in one of my senior engineering classes and asked him why. He said just think about it. If you were a really good ball player, where would you want to have spring practice in late February. Blacksburg, where its 20 degf and blowing 30 mph, or Tallahassee. He said our team was almost all students, who happened to love baseball. FSU was full of baseball hopefulls, that occasionally went to class. Thats why the top baseball colleges are in the deep south, all the way across the country. Occasionally another school steps up its head, but its hard to maintain.

By the way Mickey, was baseball your sport?

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
10-13-2009, 11:28 AM
I played football for about six years, basketball for about the same, and baseball for hmm....let me see, about 12 years in total (not counting softball, which I did play for a long time but seems rather silly to me now). And one year of soccer.

Baseball was my favorite sport, but honestly basketball was the most fun because you are doing something all the time. Football was last on my list but first on my dad's and I really wanted him to be proud of me. I was a career back-up linebacker.

As a freshman in high school I was called into the office and told by the coach that he'd keep me on the basketball team as a point guard, but that the odds were that I would never play in a game. He was right. The only high school basketball that I ever played was in the inter-squad games to begin the season. Didn't matter to me. Practicing and being on the team was fantastic. I was sort of a walk-on high school player the way that team managers practice with the team in college.

In baseball I played second and short in high school, and 3rd after I got out of school. In my last year of baseball I played a very solid 3rd for a team in Pensacola, but had to get two hits in my last game to bring my average up to .200 (which I did). I could not hit the junk. Never could.

I think that in the end I am the epitome of the guy whose heart is a lot bigger than his physical abilities. The same applies in sailing. I have finished last a lot more than I have ever won, but by golly, I HAVE won some of the time, and I have the mental make up to just deal with it and keep going. Sort of like the guy in 'Rudy', but he was so determined that he actually went all the way with it.

I was talking to a buddy of mine this morning about a kid who went to school with my kids, who is on the football team of a local college. His parents didn't let him play football in high school because he was on the baseball team and you couldn't really do both (that may sound strange to some people, but if you know big time high school athletics today it shouldn't surprise you). This kid told me at church that he was going to walk on to a DI college, and not only walk on, but at quarterback. I was like 'that's great, kid. Good luck'. Well, he is now, of all things, the long snapper for his school, and 5th year senior who has earned his way onto the field through hard work and dedication. How I envy him.

If I have one great regret in this life, it's that I didn't try hard enough to play college baseball. I went to MLB tryout camps and kept getting told 'no', but I always believed that I could have played college ball. When I was 30 I went back to baseball and played in a league for ex-college and pro players (there were tryouts), and I did fine. Good enough to have been an alternate to the All-Star team. The shortstop on our team played at Florida State. The first baseman played at Illinois. 75% of my team played DI baseball. Given the circumstances so could I have. I always believed it and I still do. I should have pushed myself harder. I believed, but I guess I didn't believe enough.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
In baseball I played second and short in high school, and 3rd after I got out of school. In my last year of baseball I played a very solid 3rd for a team in Pensacola, but had to get two hits in my last game to bring my average up to .200 (which I did). I could not hit the junk. Never could.

I think that in the end I am the epitome of the guy whose heart is a lot bigger than his physical abilities. The same applies in sailing. I have finished last a lot more than I have ever won, but by golly, I HAVE won some of the time, and I have the mental make up to just deal with it and keep going. Sort of like the guy in 'Rudy', but he was so determined that he actually went all the way with it.

I was talking to a buddy of mine this morning about a kid who went to school with my kids, who is on the football team of a local college. His parents didn't let him play football in high school because he was on the baseball team and you couldn't really do both (that may sound strange to some people, but if you know big time high school athletics today it shouldn't surprise you). This kid told me at church that he was going to walk on to a DI college, and not only walk on, but at quarterback. I was like 'that's great, kid. Good luck'. Well, he is now, of all things, the long snapper for his school, and 5th year senior who has earned his way onto the field through hard work and dedication. How I envy him.

Mickey Lake

I wanted to play football in high school, but I was small and slow. I mean really small and really slow. Bad combination. Found I could play decent game of tennis, which doesn't demand true speed just good reactions.

I played baseball through the end of Little League and loved it. Wasn't any good, but had fun. Played every position except pitcher. Loved catcher the best, but had a wieny arm, just walk on down to second. Second was probably my best, don't need a great arm there. I was a contact hitter at best, especially when I played catcher. Didn't get a lot of hits, but was a really hard strike out. You foul off enough, most Little League pitchers eventually throw 4 balls.:D Couldn't hit junk either. I remember bailing out on a big roundhouse curve with aims on my ear. It was really embarassing sitting on my butt in the dirt hearing the ump yell "Steeeriike!":eek:

The kid Bud Foster calls Va Tech's best pound for pound football player was a walk-on. Now he's the starting outside linebacker and having a great, great senior year. He's a decent athlete, very smart, and really hustles. Weighs a whopping 205 lbs. Doesn't hurt any that his dad is Russ Grimm. Growing up in the film room helps. Really smart player who gets almost all of the little things right. Fun to watch.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
tonight, don't miss Cinnci vs USF

Sat. big games

OK vs Texas
Iowa VS Wisconsin - upset
USC vs N/Dame
VT vs GT
S/Carolina vs Bama-17 lot of points

bamamick
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I have never bet a dime on football and I never will, but Alabama is traditionally one of the easiest games to pick every week if you go by the spread. On the road we cover. At home, we don't. If we are underdogs we cover. If we are favorites we don't. It's just a matter of picking your poison and doing a mix and match.

One thing to remember about Alabama: we do not run up the score on people, so it is usually safe to take the under on our our games. The idea is to win 14 games by one point each. If you do that you get a really cool looking crystal football. Anything else is just windowdressing.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I have never bet a dime on football and I never will, but Alabama is traditionally one of the easiest games to pick every week if you go by the spread. On the road we cover. At home, we don't. If we are underdogs we cover. If we are favorites we don't. It's just a matter of picking your poison and doing a mix and match.

One thing to remember about Alabama: we do not run up the score on people, so it is usually safe to take the under on our our games. The idea is to win 14 games by one point each. If you do that you get a really cool looking crystal football. Anything else is just windowdressing.

Mickey Lake

As I said in opening this thread, I don't bet on my Hokies to make any money. My $1 or lunch bets are only aimed to make the conversation more fun. And it works usually.

VT doesn't run up the score either, although it looked like it against Marshall for sure. But the 3rd string RB was in by the 3rd quarter. Not our fault if they can't stop him either and he gets 150+ yards. I've seen Beamer take a knee at the 5 yard line when the game is done. I like coaches that don't rub it in. Saban is one, among others.

As the focus-police say on TechSideLine.com, the only game is the next one. If we don't beat GT this weekend, it really doesn't matter who wins OK-TX. That said, we're all OK fans this weekend.:D Fans don't have to be focused, only the team. When you're having a good season, you get everyone's A-game. Makes it fun.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-15-2009, 05:42 PM
As I said in opening this thread, I don't bet on my Hokies to make any money. My $1 or lunch bets are only aimed to make the conversation more fun. And it works usually.

VT doesn't run up the score either, although it looked like it against Marshall for sure. But the 3rd string RB was in by the 3rd quarter. Not our fault if they can't stop him either and he gets 150+ yards. I've seen Beamer take a knee at the 5 yard line when the game is done. I like coaches that don't rub it in. Saban is one, among others.

As the focus-police say on TechSideLine.com, the only game is the next one. If we don't beat GT this weekend, it really doesn't matter who wins OK-TX. That said, we're all OK fans this weekend.:D Fans don't have to be focused, only the team. When you're having a good season, you get everyone's A-game. Makes it fun.

Cheers,

BobbyDidn't know you played tennis. I challenge you to a game if we are ever close enough. What do know about the new College rule on lets? What's that about?

hokiefan
10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Didn't know you played tennis. I challenge you to a game if we are ever close enough. What do know about the new College rule on lets? What's that about?

At one point I played a pretty decent game. Fell to the wayside when kids came along, only playing a few times. Given the current condition of my hip, my game would be truly pathetic. I'm hoping that in the next year or so I can work in hip replacement surgery, and would like to play some after that. Time will tell.

The weekend I aim to take the kid fishing, do some yard work, and watch my Hokies take on the Bumbly Bees.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-16-2009, 03:20 PM
At one point I played a pretty decent game. Fell to the wayside when kids came along, only playing a few times. Given the current condition of my hip, my game would be truly pathetic. I'm hoping that in the next year or so I can work in hip replacement surgery, and would like to play some after that. Time will tell.

The weekend I aim to take the kid fishing, do some yard work, and watch my Hokies take on the Bumbly Bees.:D

Cheers,

BobbyI used to play every day but hips and arthritis slowed that to 2 days a week, with a couple months rest off and on to heal the injuries. But it's an addictive sport and I'm hooked. :)

pefjr
10-17-2009, 10:00 AM
The dark side of College Football.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Tutor-alleges-some-Noles-reading-on-2nd-grade-l;_ylt=AnQ1lV6DZmvz0In43OWvyUIcvrYF?urn=ncaaf,1961 89

Paul Pless
10-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Bobby Bowden is such a hypocrit. Only one thing matters to him.

What's so disgusting about such news is that at the level of competitiveness that schools like FSU, Alabama, Ohio State, etc etc... there's no reason for them to cheat. These schools recruit so well, and are so deep with talent that winning and losing comes down to other things, like coaching and motivation and character.

I'm quite pleased that due to FSU forfietures it looks as though Paterno will keep the 'all time win' record from going Bowden.

bamamick
10-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Ohmygosh! Oh man. I think that I will be up all night after that one.

Our heretofore most excellent quarterback has gone south in a hurry against two very good defenses in South Carolina and Ole Miss. Another of our great defenders, and the best punt returner in the SEC (Javier Arenas) goes down with an injury and doesn't dress (that's the second starter and third major contributor our defense has lost so far this season). Our defense looks awesome for most of the game but on third downs look like the Keystone Cops, but Mark Ingram gains over 240 yards and the defense does enough for us to beat SoCar 20-6.

I have to give the Garcia kid props. He was probably the best qb we have played this year. That guy is pretty damn good, especially moving with the ball in his hands.

Well, we survived 'upset saturday'. Wasn't impressive to anyone not a Tide fan, and the way that McElroy has played the last two games has certainly had people scratching their heads, but we can run the ball and play defense, so that gives us a chance.

Sorry about the Hokies, Bobby. GT is a handful. I am not sure how Miami smoked them, but I can tell you that few teams would want to have to play them anytime soon.

Paul, what can I say, dude?

Mickey Lake

Oh yeah, it's Tennessee week! (if you were from Alabama you'd know how very special that is).

pefjr
10-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Bama played better than any of the top 7, so might take over #1. The Gators and Texas both are very lucky to escape a loss. Great football for the lower rated teams. I guess Iowa is for real.

hokiefan
10-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Ohmygosh! Oh man. I think that I will be up all night after that one.

Our heretofore most excellent quarterback has gone south in a hurry against two very good defenses in South Carolina and Ole Miss. Another of our great defenders, and the best punt returner in the SEC (Javier Arenas) goes down with an injury and doesn't dress (that's the second starter and third major contributor our defense has lost so far this season). Our defense looks awesome for most of the game but on third downs look like the Keystone Cops, but Mark Ingram gains over 240 yards and the defense does enough for us to beat SoCar 20-6.

I have to give the Garcia kid props. He was probably the best qb we have played this year. That guy is pretty damn good, especially moving with the ball in his hands.

Well, we survived 'upset saturday'. Wasn't impressive to anyone not a Tide fan, and the way that McElroy has played the last two games has certainly had people scratching their heads, but we can run the ball and play defense, so that gives us a chance.

Sorry about the Hokies, Bobby. GT is a handful. I am not sure how Miami smoked them, but I can tell you that few teams would want to have to play them anytime soon.

Paul, what can I say, dude?

Mickey Lake

Oh yeah, it's Tennessee week! (if you were from Alabama you'd know how very special that is).

Miami smoked them by playing 60 minutes of good football. Our defense smoked them for 30 minutes in the first half, while the offense was missing. Our offense smoked them in the second half while the defense took the half off. Not to take anything from GT there, they did have a big hand in that. Is kind of amazing that we could hold Nesbitt to 1-7 passing, and that one completion turns out to be key.

On the subject of Bowden vs Paterno, I would like to see someone else crush their win totals, knowing that will be very hard to do. Haven't read the latest about FSU, but that program has always been a little shady. The name Free Shoes University doesn't come from nowhere. On the other hand, Paterno is a dirty recruiter. I've seen no evidence he cheats, but he makes nasty accusations about the programs he recruits against. As an example, he tells his recruits that we're rascist, and still buried in the old south. We go head to head for a lot of recruits in Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, its a regular theme. When our coaches call him dirty publicly, there is something behind the smoke. Frosted Paterno's butt when we got Kevin Jones a couple of years ago. Beamer's not perfect, but I believe he runs an essentially clean program.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-21-2009, 05:39 PM
This is Pick an Upset week

Possibilities to rearrange the top ten.

Tn vs Alabama-14 1/2
Auburn vs LSU -7 1/2
Gators vs Miss ST.+22 too many points
Tx vs Missouri +13 1/2
Louisville vs Cinnci -18
TCU vs BYU-2 1/2 Game of the week.
Boise ST. vs Hawaii +24 1/2
Or St vs USC- 20 1/2 too many points
Iowa vs Mich. St+ 1 only 1 point??

Just for fun I'm going for Tx and Iowa to be upset.

hokiefan
10-22-2009, 09:13 AM
This is Pick an Upset week

Possibilities to rearrange the top ten.

Tn vs Alabama-14 1/2
Auburn vs LSU -7 1/2
Gators vs Miss ST.+22 too many points
Tx vs Missouri +13 1/2
Louisville vs Cinnci -18
TCU vs BYU-2 1/2 Game of the week.
Boise ST. vs Hawaii +24 1/2
Or St vs USC- 20 1/2 too many points
Iowa vs Mich. St+ 1 only 1 point??

Just for fun I'm going for Tx and Iowa to be upset.

Given the events of last weekend, I no longer have more than a passing interest in the fate of Florida, Alabama, and Texas.:( I now somehow find myself rooting for UVa to beat GT. I just threw up a little bit while I typed that. Somethings are just too hard. Oh hell, go Jackets, stomp the crap out of the Silly 'Hoos.:D

Its all so confusing sometimes.:confused:

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Given the events of last weekend, I no longer have more than a passing interest in the fate of Florida, Alabama, and Texas.:( I now somehow find myself rooting for UVa to beat GT. I just threw up a little bit while I typed that. Somethings are just too hard. Oh hell, go Jackets, stomp the crap out of the Silly 'Hoos.:D

Cheers,

BobbyYogi Berra: It ain't over til it's over. VT has to pile up points and hope for upsets. That should easily bring them back into the top ten.:)

hokiefan
10-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Yogi Berra: It ain't over til it's over. VT has to pile up points and hope for upsets. That should easily bring them back into the top ten.:)

You're right that there is a lot of football to be played. We could still have a very good year. But the fact is that the chance of a 2-loss VT team playing in the MNC game is essentially zero. So we're back to our fundamental goal of winning the ACC and playing in the Orange Bowl. There's currently a 3-way tie in our division with VT, Miami, and GT. If we all win out, then the tiebreaker comes down to BCS rank to knock out one, then head-to-head between the remaining two. If GT is knocked out, we go to the ACC Championship. If Miami is knocked out, GT goes. To pretty much guarantee we go, we need to win out and have GT lose a game. Doesn't really matter to who. Hence the attempt to root for the 'Hoos this weekend. Can't make it happen though.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

hokiefan
10-24-2009, 03:52 PM

Cheers,

Bobby

Well, that wish worked out OK.:D Will have to hope someone else can knock off the Bumbly Bees. Their playing pretty good these days.

Used to have a coffee mug that said, "My two favorite teams are Virginia Tech and whoever is playing UVa." Unfortunately it suffered a fatal crash.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
10-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Well, I am still too stunned to think about what happened today. Needless to say that was as big a loss as I have ever seen Alabama take and the scoreboard show that we had more points at the end.

We had the ball all of about seven or eight minutes of the second half. Our great punt returner let a punt roll from our 25 to our three with about five minutes left. Our great running back, who hasn't fumbled in 325 carries, fumbles, and Tennessee recovers. Our defense, which hasn't allowed a touchdown in 12 quarters, allows a touchdown. All we have to do is recover an onside kick, and Tennessee recovers the onside kick. Gary Danielson draws a line at our 31 and says that UT has to get to there to kick a game winning field goal. Three plays later they are at our 27. It all ends with our 365 pound defensive tackle blocking his SECOND field goal of the game and the Tide 'winning' 12-10.

Unfreakin'believeable. Tennessee outgained us by 100 yards and controlled the clock in the second half like no one has done to us in a long time, but we walk away 8-0. Well, Tide fans absolutely can NOT say that we don't get the breaks sometimes.

We are off next week. Thank goodness.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
10-24-2009, 09:11 PM
You got any nails left Bamamick? Don't cha just love College football? Look at TCU, wow. And Florida having trouble for the third straight week. I think Florida and Bama are just playing to not lose, rather than playing to win. Defense is there, thank goodness.:D

cs
10-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I've said this before and I will say it again, TN can play with any team in the nation.

I was at a cheerleading competition today and had to catch bits and pieces, but it sure was a slug feast, esp if you like defense. Hell if either one of our teams had an offense we would be unstoppable.

Listened to the last 5 minutes or so on the radio as I was leaving Nashville. Great 5 minutes of football, little bit of everything.

Chad

pefjr
10-24-2009, 09:58 PM
I've said this before and I will say it again, TN can play with any team in the nation.

Chad

That's the SEC for you. :D

bamamick
10-25-2009, 07:23 AM
'a great 5 minutes of football' is not exactly how I would describe it, Chad, but I came away from that game with a great deal of respect for Tennessee, which is how it always should be between the two teams who have played more meaningful football between them than any other two schools in the south.

Mickey Lake

cs
10-25-2009, 08:21 AM
BTW I hate SportsCenter. They give no credit to TN for playing a hardnosed game, they just want to talk about how poorly Bama played.

Chad

bamamick
10-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Everyone hates espn and Sportscenter, but everyone who likes sports watches it every day. Strange, isn't it?

Mickey Lake

pefjr
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Well, I thought Texas would take #1. Hardly any change. Fl vs Ga this week, And USC vs Or.

Some nerd on Yahoo sports wrote about the weak schedule of Florida. Weak? He has no idea of the SEC. It's a snake pit every week. If Ga can dump Fl on its @ss it'll make their yr. If Or can dump USC, it'll make their "history". It's not just a game to Ga. and OR.

If Ok ST can dump Tx, it'll make my day.:D

pefjr
10-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I hope Florida gets this guy.

[/URL]

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abVrcAGlT_U (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1008614)

bamamick
11-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Texas jumps Bama into 2nd. As far as Alabama goes it doesn't matter. We have to win out to play for a national championship (so does everyone else at this point). Many people believe that Oregon is the best team, and they may very well be, but iirc they lost at home to Boise, so they can fuss all they want.

Florida has already won the SEC east.

Big game with LSU in Tuscaloosa this week. Hopefully our guys are rested and focused.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Texas had a good game. I wish Florida was ranked lower, it would take the heat off some. Too bad about VT Hokie but GT looks really good. Oregon beat USC worse than the score indicates. Their speed advantage was evident after one quarter, and they racked up over 600yds total offense. Unbelievable offense that USC seem to have no defense for. They may get their best back off probation next week. They should breeze through the remainder of the year and get a major bowl at least. The SEC winner will probably meet Texas unless some upsets get in the way.

Then you have all these undefeated teams cruising along like Boise St., Iowa, TCU, Cinnci. I would rank LSU above these teams, because of a tougher schedule, and they still could take it all with a win over Alabama and Florida.

It only gets better from here.

I am watching Brett Favre perform now. What a QB at 42.

pefjr
11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
What's wrong with Urban Meyer?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-florida-spikessuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

“He brings fire and he brings juice to everybody. Without that, he would not be as great of a player as he is, and he would not be even close to the leader that he is.”

Eye-gouging is a half game suspension? Ridiculous. How can you be a leader and participate or condone this example of bad sportsmanship? What's next? This is Mike Tyson mentality. I would suspend him 3 games and a season if it ever happened again.

bamamick
11-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow! That's about all I have to say about the Bama/LSwhoo game.

VT handled ECU thursday night!

Iowa and Oregon go down. Of course, so did LSU. Ohio State dumped PSU and now controls the Big 10 assuming they can beat Iowa in Columbus. Pretty good consolation prize, to go to the Rose Bowl.

Well, Bama has a road game with Mississippi State, a home game with UT-Chatt, and will finish on the road against a very dangerous Auburn team, but we won the west and WILL play UF in Atlanta for the second straight year. Close enough that we can at least see the mountaintop, but nowhere near getting there as of yet.

And Texas continues to roll.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
11-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Wow! Some of those late games wound up being really tight. Cincy squeeeeezed by UConn, who seems to be close every week and yet fails to win any of them. USC and ASU played a tough defensive game, with over half of USC's 12 points coming on a pick six.

Another great saturday in the books.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Idle notes:

Looks like Florida/Alabama repeat coming up. But it's still possible for either or both to be bumped out of the BCS. But not likely, if you can predict the bounce of a football. Tide came back in to 2nd again in BCS. LSU is the strongest 2 loss team. Its still Texas and the SEC winner.

Miami and Oregon would be a good Bowl match. I can't remember Georgia Tech ever ranked so high. I think their defense stinks. The rivalry Bulldogs vs GT should be interesting.

I think Ohio St will finish off Iowa this weekend. The Gators have to play a tough S Carolina and Stevie boy. Alabama goes into a possible ambush with Miss. St. These front runners can't afford to play it safe. Meanwhile Texas and Boise St could rest their first stringers with their weak opponents. The only thing you can predict is upsets will happen, and that's what makes it fun.

bamamick
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Georgia Tech shared a national championship somewhere around 1990 (with Bobby Ross as coach). Because of their very high academic standards it is hard for them to sustain great success, but their coach (Paul Johnson) is a bit of a genius, imo. No one wants to play Georgia Tech in a meaningful game, I promise you.

Mickey Lake

George Jung
11-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Texas sure looks strong - but they do every year. But before you get tickets to see them play for all the marbles, remember the Big 12 Championship game. Every once in awhile, a team from the North pulls a rabbit out and beats the South; Kansas State did it last, iirc. They weren't supposed to do anything this year, but lead the North at this time. It'll probably come down to them or Nebraska. The Huskers have a very good defense this year, but no discernible offense. (Funny how that goes, eh?). But they did have enough to bump off Oklahoma, so who knows? (BTW, beating Oklahoma and Missouri in the same year feels awful good, even if everyone is just decimating each other). Be fun to watch how this one plays out. On any given Saturday...

Oh, btw - Alabama looks awfully good; take them, Texas (at this point) and Florida - too bad we can't have those match ups every saturday.

hokiefan
11-09-2009, 10:51 AM
VT didn't look pretty Thursday night, but they won. The D looked pretty good, and Ryan Williams is amazing. To think he wasn't the starter in preseason. Could be a two headed monster next year when Darren Evans gets back.

Watched the end of the Bama/LSU game. Both looked good, Bama a little better. Don't see how LSU didn't get that interception late in the game, but thats the way it the goes. Was kind of cool that Navy beat Notre Dame. Was obviously rooting for Wake Forest, they gave GT all they wanted and came up a little short. Its been that kind of year for Wake. Guess now we have to root for Duke to beat GT, the world is truly strange. And we have to root for UVa to win enough so they don't fire Al Groh. He's our best recruiter.:D

I think it comes down to Texas vs UF/Bama. That looks pretty obvious, but I've been saying that since the beginning of the season. In my dreams it was VT vs UF/Bama, only in my dreams.:)

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
A possible scenario: Texas stumbles. Alabama stumbles and losses one but wins the conference by beating the gators. Cincinnati loses to Pitt. TCU plays Boise St. for the National Championship. OK, not likely but......a dream

pefjr
11-14-2009, 07:08 PM
When the gator offense stalls, that great defense rises to the occasion. Amazing, never underestimate Steve Spurrier. A genius almost pulls an upset.

Paul Pless
11-14-2009, 07:13 PM
...never underestimate Steve Spurrier. A genius almost pulls an upset.Tell me again why he's coaching South Carolina.:rolleyes:

pefjr
11-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Tell me again why he's coaching South Carolina.:rolleyes:Greed. He shoulda ,coulda , woulda stayed at UF.

bamamick
11-14-2009, 11:26 PM
The Tide looked really good tonight. Usually I can find a dozen things to dwell on that we did wrong, but not tonight. Tonight was a serious butt-whippin' given out to our oldest rival, and probably the one that holds the most real hatred for us (they just don't show it as much because we have beaten them something like 80 of the 90 times we've played).

Paul's Buckeyes go to the Rose, but they won't be playing USC, will they? The Trojans are truly suffering on defense these days.

So Nebraska looks like they will get to play Tejas in the championship game? Interesting.

Virginia Tech rolled.

I'm tired. I had a basketball game this afternoon before the football game. for those who love parity in sports, Alabama lost to Cornell, of the Ivy League, 71-68 in Tuscaloosa this afternoon. Cornell starts five seniors and has won the Ivies the last two years, but my gosh. It's Cornell, for goodness sakes! Ah well. We've got a new coach and it takes time.

I will be in Tuscaloosa next week. Looking forward to it.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-15-2009, 02:09 AM
How do you spell "defense"?.......... S.E.C.
How do you spell Gator defense? ..........D.O.M.I.N.A.T.I.N.G.
how do you spell "no defense"? ........U.S.C.:D

bamamick
11-15-2009, 09:28 AM
When this weeks stats come out, take a look at Alabama and Florida and compare the two. If I am right I believe that we will be within ten yards of one another on both sides of the ball!

We finish with Chattanooga and Auburn (on the road)
They finish with FIU and FSU

Last year we were #1 and they were #3. They beat us and then OU for the national championship. This year, unless there is a bump, the winner of the SECCG will play another Big 12 team for the title, with the SEC hoping to claim a fourth national championship in five years!

Exciting stuff.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Alright folks, we are down to it now. The Tide finishes at Auburn, UF finishes at home against FSU, and Texas finishes with Texas A&M. TCU finishes with another lightweight that they'll crush so they can just sit back and hope that something happens to get them into the top two. Boise and Cincy I think are out of luck.

We know that either Bama or Florida is going to lose, so TCU needs Texas to lose to Nebraska. I guess it could happen but I wouldn't make that pick.

My picks are for all four to finish 12-0, then for Bama to beat Florida (what did you think I'd say?) and play Tejas in Pasadena. Florida to the Sugar. TCU to the Fiesta, and Cincinnati and the ACC champ back to Miami for the Orange. Oregon and Ohio State to the Rose. That leaves two empty slots for BCS games and I can't see why Boise wouldn't get one of those slots but the experts keep throwing Iowa and Penn State out there so I don't know. I'd like to see Boise get their shot.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-22-2009, 06:04 PM
You might be a little early Bama. I have seen too many unlikely upsets to think its over yet. Fl vs FSU is never a given, and Auburn vs a low Tide has the same history. Just look at the LSU, ol Miss. game last Sat. Its probably gonna be Fl vs Ala, and if so, I'll consider that the National Championship. Fl has the edge on defense, special teams, offense, speed, but it will be entertaining and close. If the football bounces this way.............. etc. The bowl games mean nothing if its not clearly the two best teams in the country, and there is always an argument about that.

bamamick
11-22-2009, 08:00 PM
LSU losing to Ole Miss was not an upset.

Of course there are upsets every day (there were a bunch of them in the NFL today). That's a given. I am just telling you what I think is going to happen.

Alabama plays Florida in the SEC championship regardless of what happens next week.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
LSU losing to Ole Miss was not an upset.

Of course there are upsets every day (there were a bunch of them in the NFL today). That's a given. I am just telling you what I think is going to happen.

Alabama plays Florida in the SEC championship regardless of what happens next week.

Mickey LakeYeah, I forgot Ala clinched. And hopefully they will be undefeated so the winner can play for it all. I call LSU an upset, but typical in the SEC. I also have a dollar that says Fl. wins the SEC. :)

bamamick
11-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry. I don't make bets. I just cheer on my guys. Florida is a very good team and if they win then I will wish them the best in the MNCG, but if they win they will have had to beat a very good team, because that's what this Alabama team is.

This Alabama team is better than the 1992 national champions. There. I said it. Not trying to jinx them (I just knocked on wood and will do so again), but this team is very, very good.

By the way, Alabama has the #1 defense in the country as of today.
Florida is #2. Texas is #3. TCU is in the top five. See a pattern here?

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-23-2009, 02:18 PM
This Gator vs Tide game will be another Classic SEC sacrifice. With Tx. the beneficiary. Either SEC team has to win 2 games, while Tx. only one. And they have the nerve to criticize the SEC?

pefjr
11-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Wonder why Notre Dame is not looking at Steve Spurrier?

hokiefan
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Wonder why Notre Dame is not looking at Steve Spurrier?

Have they announced they are officially looking? I haven't seen it, but you know they are. I'm sad that this Saturday is most likely Al Groh's last game at UVa. He's our best recruiter, having pissed off 90% of the high school coaches in Virginia. Hope we hang a pile on the silly Hoos, but you never know how the ball bounces once its kicked off.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
SOS is not known as a recruiter, and whoever it is that gets the ND job MUST be an awesome recruiter if they are to get back into relevence as a college football power.

Meyer, Saban, and Stoops are all names that have already been tossed around or will be soon. None will leave where they are (imo) because the schools that they coach at have already committed to doing what it takes for them to be successful and their current jobs are probably better right now than Notre Dame will ever be (again, imo).

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Rivalry week. I think Georgia has the best chance to pull off the upset. LSU better win this one big, otherwise.....

Tonight it's Showtime for Texas. Turkey day slaughter in Texas under the National Spotlight. 5pm out here.

pefjr
11-27-2009, 12:05 AM
My scouting report for Texas: no defense

bamamick
11-27-2009, 06:42 PM
If Cincinnati beats the poop out of Pitt then I am willing to say in all honesty that they are every bit as deserving of playing in the national championship game as is Alabama, Florida or Texas. I don't know about TCU but I know that Cincy beat Oregon State on the road and I watched them play today and they were just downright awesome.

As for the Tide, you can opine all you want about our win today, but as a kid who grew up worshipping Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath, Lee Roy Jordan (yes, it's two names down here), Scott Hunter (who I actually know), Terry Davis and Johnny Musso (the Eyetalian Stallion, in the verbage of the great state of Alabama), winning this game today is worth two SECCG's. Anything that we accomplish after this win is gravy, believe me.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
11-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Have they announced they are officially looking? I haven't seen it, but you know they are. I'm sad that this Saturday is most likely Al Groh's last game at UVa. He's our best recruiter, having pissed off 90% of the high school coaches in Virginia. Hope we hang a pile on the silly Hoos, but you never know how the ball bounces once its kicked off.

Cheers,

Bobby
I am hearing rumors maybe. It's gonna cost ND dearly but they are like the Yankees, think they can buy a Championship. IMO, ND has a top-notch coach in Weis.

Cincinnati has a great QB and offense but no defense. Alabama defense woke up and took charge in the last few minutes and gave the offense another chance. I thought Auburn was gonna cinch it with their last drive but two sacks turned it around. Auburn played their best game of the year , but not quite good enough. I love these defensives powers of Fl and Alabama. Next week may be a defensive showdown, and I think either one will beat Texas, or anyone else. I did a little SEC worshiping myself, Fran Tarkenton, Bo Jackson, Hershel Walker, John Reeves, Miami Hurricanes, FSU,many more. Fran Tarkenton was my favorite all time.

George Jung
11-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Texas looked good vs A and M, but... they allowed an awful lot of offense, so who knows next week? Too bad Nebraska mostly sputters on offense, but when they need the points, seem able to produce just enough. BTW, Nebraska, last I looked, was ranked 3rd in scoring defense, just (barely) behind Fl and Ala.

I see most here have already signed off on that game; but it might actually be worth a watch (if for no other reason than to see what you'll be seeing in January).

bamamick
11-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Nebraska has quietly come on and now will get there big shot at Texas. Bo Pellini coached some great defenses at LSU and you had to believe that he would do the same at Nebraska. The thing about it is that to win big at Nebraska you have to recruit nationally and that usually takes time (ironically, when Nebraska was last at their peak some of their very best skill players were from New Orleans).

The Big 12 north hasn't really done much since the days of Tommie Frazier. It'll be interesting to see if this is another walkover or if the CORNhuskers have it in them to upset the apple cart.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
11-28-2009, 04:45 PM
South Carolina beat favored Clemson.
Miss State beat favored Mississippi.
NCSU beat favored North Carolina.
Oklahoma beat Okie State 27-0! I don't know who was favored but Okie State was playing for a Fiesta Bowl bid (Iowa and Penn State fans rejoice!).

Rivalry weeks are always tough and always exciting. I am mighty darn happy that my Crimson Tide survived our game, I can tell you.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
11-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Rivalries are tough games. UVa hung tough with us the first half, going into the locker room down one at 14-13. Then we got going, finished strong, and beat the silly Hoo's 42-13. Ryan Williams is a beast at RB, got 183 yards and 4 TD's today. Puts him over 1500 yards and 19 TD's for the regular season, best ever for a VT or ACC freshman.

Rumors are we'll play South Carolina in the Chick-Fil-A bowl. Would be a good game. Maybe the third game in Atlanta this season would be the charm.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
11-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I saw some of it. I was sorry to see that Nike rooked you guys into those new unis. I was in an Irish pub last night with my wife having dinner and they had LSU and Arkansas on the television. I told my wife that I had really wanted to see that game and she said 'well, it's right there'. I had no idea it was LSU in those goofy looking duds.

Anyway, you guys and South Carolina would be a good match up. They are the 3rd best defense in our league. Don't have much of an offense if you don't let Garcia move around with the ball, but they can play defense.

That freshman running back turned out to be great. I am glad we caught you guys early.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
11-29-2009, 04:15 PM
I saw some of it. I was sorry to see that Nike rooked you guys into those new unis. I was in an Irish pub last night with my wife having dinner and they had LSU and Arkansas on the television. I told my wife that I had really wanted to see that game and she said 'well, it's right there'. I had no idea it was LSU in those goofy looking duds.

Anyway, you guys and South Carolina would be a good match up. They are the 3rd best defense in our league. Don't have much of an offense if you don't let Garcia move around with the ball, but they can play defense.

That freshman running back turned out to be great. I am glad we caught you guys early.

Mickey Lake

Yeah, the uni's are kind of a mess. But they look pretty good when we're winning! What's really exciting about next year is that the kid who was supposed to be the starter, Darren Evans, will be back next year. He set the VT freshman records last year that Ryan broke this year. The best part of it all is that they are great friends. This years #2 RB is averaging a solid 4.3 ypc. And the #3 RB, David Wilson has shown true flashes as well. The RB coach won't let him play much when it counts because he doesn't trust him as a blocker, he needs spring camp to get that down. If the reserve OL that will start next year continue their progress, our running game looks good. I know you weren't impressed with Tyrod Taylor, but he has really started to work well with his receivers and they are all back. Our offense looks solid for next year. Loose several good defenders, time will tell how that plays out.

The only bad news is from Charlottesville where they fired Al Groh, our best recruiter. Our fans appeared to outnumber the Hoo's at the end and were chanting, "Keep Al Groh." I guess Don'tFireAlGroh.com will have to be shut down now.:D

The SEC got their dream matchup in the championship game. Two storied teams arrive there undefeated. Couldn't get much better than that!

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
11-29-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't watch much pro football, except for Brett Favre. Today he was on again. 32 for 48 and 378 yrds, 3 td's, and I saw at least 5 perfect passes dropped. He gets better every week. 282 regular season games consecutive?? WoW!! 40 yrs old and 3 interceptions all yr. http://www.winonadailynews.com/sports/47c20e96-db18-11de-a977-001cc4c03286.html

bamamick
12-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Looks like the Hokies and the Tennessee Vols in the Peach Bowl (yes, I like the old names). Should be a good one. Tennessee improved as the year went on and will give VT a good game, I think.

Lots of news this week with Dunlap being suspended, Diddy Bowden (the ORIGINAL diddy, I must say) retiring, and Tiger hitting a hydrant, but some of the biggest news around here is how the Aubs snuck into the Outback Bowl in Tampa.

The Outback is supposed to be SEC#3/4 depending on the BCS situation and Auburn finished last in the west, tied with Arkansas and Miss State. Supposedly what gave Auburn the 'edge' in securing the bid was a commitment by their AD to buy 30,000 tickets for the game! That's an awful lot of tickets. The rumor is that their opponent will be Wisconsin, who was ranked fairly high at some point this year, but honestly, there are few SEC schools who are intimidated by any Big 10 team these days. Even the Aubs would probably give the Badgers a decent game.

Four days 'til our version of D-Day.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Alabama has +6 pts here. Looks like it will even go higher before game time.

pefjr
12-06-2009, 03:42 PM
CONGRADS. TO ALABAMA for a perfect game. Hokie, I hope you win the dollar.

bamamick
12-06-2009, 04:02 PM
I was streaming tears with about four minutes left, when it finally sunk in that we were going to win. My dad's voice was breaking up when we shared our after-game phone call. That's what it means to some of us. It's been a long time since 1999 and whole lot of water under the bridge. Laugh if you will, but it means a lot.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
CONGRADS. TO ALABAMA for a perfect game. Hokie, I hope you win the dollar.

I think Texas will give Bama a game, but that in the end I will win my dollar. I'm sure enough to propose we settle up now.:D

Here's my idea. You drop my dollar in a Salvation Army kettle (or other cause of your choosing) and I'll do the same with its would be wallet mate here in Savannah. I would propose we do this after I'm sure I won, but right now its so easy to find the kettle. So what do you say?

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I think Texas will give Bama a game, but that in the end I will win my dollar. I'm sure enough to propose we settle up now.:D

Here's my idea. You drop my dollar in a Salvation Army kettle (or other cause of your choosing) and I'll do the same with its would be wallet mate here in Savannah. I would propose we do this after I'm sure I won, but right now its so easy to find the kettle. So what do you say?

Cheers,

BobbySounds good to me. Consider it done.

hokiefan
12-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Sounds good to me. Consider it done.

Excellent.

pefjr
12-10-2009, 10:27 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_XjxZQd4MRvc/SyG635Mh07I/AAAAAAAAAqI/7KnVXl5Kr8E/s400/003.JPGa hokiepug

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_XjxZQd4MRvc/SyG8l20p0DI/AAAAAAAAAqo/VxAF3bTULFc/s640/002.JPG

hokiefan
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, the Hokies got some good news today. Our Defensive Coordinator is one of, if not the best in the business. This year, Georgia, Florida State, and Florida talked to him with varying degrees of interest about their open DC spots. Thats big time interest, especially UGa and UF, at least of late. So our Athletic Director and Head Coach got together and decided that he's to be a DC, they want it to be at Virginia Tech. Put together a big pot of money and said its yours if you stay 5 years. He said he's staying and that he wants to "Finish this thing." with his coaching buddy Frank Beamer.

We have essentially the entire offense coming back next year. We should have the best set of tailbacks in the country. The college football fans refrain, can't wait until next year!!!

LETS GO HOKIES !!!

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
12-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I heard that Foster was staying this morning on our local radio. Georgia and FSU were also interested in two of our guys (Kirby Smart and Sal Sunseri) but the whispers are both are going to stay put. We pay our assistant coaches very well, and honestly there is no better situation unless you are going to be a head coach at a BCS school.

The best facilities. The best players to coach. The biggest stage. There's a lot to be said for that.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
I am shocked.

bamamick
01-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Well Bobby, I told you that VT should handle the Evil Empire to the North, but I had no idea that UTK (University of Tennessee-Knoxville) would turn back into the team that we saw the first few games of the year and make it so easy for you guys.

When it was 24-14 and that guy dropped the touchdown pass that was pretty much it. They caved. Ah well (he says while rubbing his hands with glee), maybe they will now accept the fact that they are just another very mediocre program and concentrate on women's basketball :).

Congrats to the Hokies. A great win and some serious redemption for the way the season began in the same building. Hope you guys will root for us in our game next week.

(for those of you who think that my above post seems a little harsh, you just have to understand that over the last century the University of Alabama and the University of Tennessee have played more meaningful football games than any two teams in the history of southern college football. It's just a healthy 'animosity', if you will).

Sorry Chadster.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
01-01-2010, 09:09 AM
They caved. Ah well (he says while rubbing his hands with glee), maybe they will now accept the fact that they are just another very mediocre program and concentrate on women's basketball :).> :D

(for those of you who think that my above post seems a little harsh, you just have to understand that over the last century the University of Alabama and the University of Tennessee have played more meaningful football games than any two teams in the history of southern college football. It's just a healthy 'animosity', if you will).Yeah, but lately, the last twenty years or so... that Florida/Alabama rivalry sure has heated up when it really counts for each team.http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

bamamick
01-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Since the first year of the SEC championship game (1992), Alabama and Florida have met in the game seven times, with UF winning four of those. The winner of those games has gone on to win the national championship twice...so far, depending on what happens next Thursday.

In all of those years UF and Bama have met only twice in the regular season, and each team has a win. Florida will visit Tuscaloosa next fall for the first time since game when Tyrone Prothro injured his leg so badly.

I guess you could call Alabama/Florida a budding rivalry. We don't really play each other enough for it, but no doubt there's respect on both sides.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
01-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Well, obviously the game went my way!!! I thought the field goal at the end of the first half was huge. UT was starting to feel it at that point, we needed some mojo our way. I was somewhat surprised that we were successful passing to set up the run. Very un-VT like. I did figure we would have some success running, just not the way we approached it. Already looking forward to next year. And I've been rooting for Bama since the beginning of the season. Would love to try that game again today, but thats not the way things work. Roll Tide!

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Al 33....Tx 13

Final Rankings:

1- AL
2- Fl
3- Boise St.
4-Tx
5- who cares

hokiefan
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Al 33....Tx 13

Final Rankings:

1- AL
2- Fl
3- Boise St.
4-Tx
5- who cares

My prediction Bama 31 Texas 28
My bet is that both teams get a defensive or special teams score to make it look like an offensive game. We'll find out tonight.

1 - Bama
2 - Texas
3 - Florida
4 - Boise, etc
10 - VT

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
01-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I doubt Tx. can score more points on Alabama's defense than they scored against Nebraska. Alabama defense usually scores some points or sets an easy offensive score. It's gonna be fun. You will be Bulldog fan soon. Daughters have a huge influence on pappys

hokiefan
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I doubt Tx. can score more points on Alabama's defense than they scored against Nebraska. Alabama defense usually scores some points or sets an easy offensive score. It's gonna be fun. You will be Bulldog fan soon. Daughters have a huge influence on pappys

Well, we scored more on Bama than we did on Nebraska, so that data point would argue against your contention. Cody is a great DT, but Suh is better, the consensus opinion of our OL. Admittedly, it was the first game of the season, but Bama kick/punt coverage was suspect at best. If I were Mack Brown I would work on returns hard. We will see. I do believe Bama wins, but I think it will be close.

Its not fully decided yet, but I probably will be a secondary Dawg fan in the end. They'll never be first though, can't happen.

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
You will be Bulldog fan soon. wonder what's tougher?being a Georgia fan or a Virginia Tech fan??

bamamick
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Suh can't do what Cody does and vice versa. Suh will not be an exceptional DT in the NFL unless he plays in a 4-3. Cody will be a fantastic NFL player as long as he stays in the 3-4. It is not Terrence Cody's job to pressure quarterbacks or to even make tackles. His job is to take up space and be disruptive. Different kinds of player completely.

Javier Arenas is one of the best punt returners in the history of college football. Our kick return and coverage teams and our punter are all fairly average. Our field goal kicker is one of the best.

My prediction is based on a couple of things: in the last two years we have had to prepare for two games against top ten ranked teams at neutral sites and had a healthy squad and time to prepare. In those games the Tide rolled over Clemson and Virginia Tech impressively. Results don't lie.

This year's Alabama team has defeated three teams ranked in the top 10 when we played them (Florida, LSU and Virginia Tech) and two others that were ranked in the top 25 (Ole Miss and South Carolina). Texas has defeated only two teams that were ranked in the top 25 and none that were ranked in the top 10.

One other point: we can do everything. We can run and we can throw. We can defend both. Our special teams aren't great but they are o.k.. Texas doesn't even try to run the football. jmo, but I think that preparing for Florida went a long way towards us preparing for Texas. No one Texas played will help them tonight.

My pick: Bama 27 Texas 17

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
01-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Suh can't do what Cody does and vice versa. Suh will not be an exceptional DT in the NFL unless he plays in a 4-3. Cody will be a fantastic NFL player as long as he stays in the 3-4. It is not Terrence Cody's job to pressure quarterbacks or to even make tackles. His job is to take up space and be disruptive. Different kinds of player completely.

Javier Arenas is one of the best punt returners in the history of college football. Our kick return and coverage teams and our punter are all fairly average. Our field goal kicker is one of the best.

My prediction is based on a couple of things: in the last two years we have had to prepare for two games against top ten ranked teams at neutral sites and had a healthy squad and time to prepare. In those games the Tide rolled over Clemson and Virginia Tech impressively. Results don't lie.

This year's Alabama team has defeated three teams ranked in the top 10 when we played them (Florida, LSU and Virginia Tech) and two others that were ranked in the top 25 (Ole Miss and South Carolina). Texas has defeated only two teams that were ranked in the top 25 and none that were ranked in the top 10.

One other point: we can do everything. We can run and we can throw. We can defend both. Our special teams aren't great but they are o.k.. Texas doesn't even try to run the football. jmo, but I think that preparing for Florida went a long way towards us preparing for Texas. No one Texas played will help them tonight.

My pick: Bama 27 Texas 17

Mickey Lake

Read an interview with Sergio Render I believe. He's been a 4 year starter at OG for us and is pretty good himself. He was asked who the best DT's he played against. He listed Raji, Brace, Cody, Suh, and one or two others I can't remember at the moment. He put Suh at the top of the heap, but not by much. We didn't get much done running up the middle on either Bama or Nebraska. I will argue (a little bit) that Bama didn't roll VT. We were winning at the beginning of the 4th quarter after all. Our offense looked pathetic, but special teams points count just the same as offensive points. The foundation of Beamerball. Wasn't quite enough 9/5 though.

I think Bama is the more balanced team and therefore will win. Bama is in a better position to take advantage of whatever weakness they find in Texas.

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
01-07-2010, 05:16 PM
McElroy is underated.

Glen Longino
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Texas 31-Bama 24

hokiefan
01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry Glen, that ain't happening tonight.:D

How would you like to be the Texas backup QB right now? He's played most of the first half and he's 1-10 for -4 yards with 2 interceptions, one of them a pick-6.:eek: Hope he settles down a little in the second half, or his confidence could be ruined for the rest of his career. Man...

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
My hands are almost shaking too badly to type.

30 minutes from immortality, or at least our version of it down here. I am sorry about McCoy but after the incredibly stupid way we played for the first 10 minutes or so all I can do is sit and hold on to my chair and hope that this thing ends with us still on top.

A piece of trivia: Greg McElroy has completed a grand total of two passes in this game. In our last national championship game, Jay Barker completed a grand total of four passes in a game we won 34-13 over the Miami Hurricanes.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
01-07-2010, 10:14 PM
wow... will we see texas' third string qb tonight?

Roll Tide!

hokiefan
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
If I were Saban he wouldn't throw another pass. Give the rock to Ingram and Richardson. If Texas stops them so what. Punt the ball and make Texas drive the long field. They can't do it. They can't stop Ingram and Richardson anyway. Besides that, for only throwing 5 passes, McElroy has been sacked 4 times. Keep that up and there will be a fumble and a defensive score. Thats Texas' only hope at this point.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
01-07-2010, 10:25 PM
It's not over.

I am a member of two Crimson Tide fan forums, on one of which I have around 15K posts, and right now both of them are totally locked up. Ah well. I am getting antsy for this halftime to be over and for us to get on with it.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
01-07-2010, 11:15 PM
My goodness but we are playing some stupid football out there. Our special teams coach would be looking for a job tomorrow if I had a say in it right now.

24-13 at the beginning of the 4th.

Mickey Lake

brad9798
01-07-2010, 11:35 PM
ROLL Tide!

(don't tell my wife ... who is wondering what I am typing now on the laptop on the couch next to her ... ) ;) :D

She grew up in Tejas!

:D

hokiefan
01-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, the kid is growing up! On the big stage!

Bama better crank it up or the Tide will be rolled. Wow!

pefjr
01-07-2010, 11:54 PM
That tide just turned, Alabama defense settles this question.

George Jung
01-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Alabama should've been rolled - and I have to say, I suspect would have, if McCoy had been able to play. Freshman/first game mistakes killed them - helluva way to start under center.

Nebraska seems to have found their offense, in the bowl game - finally. They're anticipating an improved defense next year, and most of the offense returns. See ya then.

pefjr
01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
SEC rules. I suspect Nebraska better stay out of the SEC.

George Jung
01-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Enjoy the run, Jr. - and enjoy next year. I do believe Nebraska will! (btw - wth does Nevada have to brag about?)

pefjr
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
me!!! but NV. is just borrowing me. My heart is in Florida

Paul Pless
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Okay Mickey... you can relax now!:)

brad9798
01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
WOW!!!

:eek:

hokiefan
01-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Okay Mickey... you can relax now!:)

At 24-21 I bet he had to remind himself to breath.:D

Good game Bama.

Bobby

brad9798
01-08-2010, 12:36 AM
I still think Boise State should (eventually, perhaps next year, if they continue to win) play for the title ...

They have been SCREWED for years!!!

hokiefan
01-08-2010, 12:45 AM
I still think Boise State should (eventually, perhaps next year, if they continue to win) play for the title ...

They have been SCREWED for years!!!

They may get their chance since they play us next year. In 2007 we played LSU to open the season, they went on to win the MNC. This year Bama opened with VT and went on to win. Florida doesn't seem to need that help lately.:D There's even a rumor floating that the Boise/VT game will get moved to Labor Day weekend. Although honestly I'd rather beat Boise like a drum and get our rematch with Bama in next year's MNC game.

For Boise to go though there can't be 5 unbeatens at the end of the year. They have to be one of two maximum unbeatens IMOH.

Cheers,

Bobby

David G
01-08-2010, 12:58 AM
I went into the game rooting (mildly) for Alabama. I come out of the game less than impressed. It's extremely unfortunate that Colt McCoy got injured on the second series. As Mr. Jung notes... it leaves room for lots of speculation as to how it would have been otherwise.

Both teams looked jittery at the start. Understandable. Then the injury to McCoy. After that, Alabama went into extreme, lockdown, paranoid, conservative mode. Made for a very tedious game for the bulk of the time. The only spark 'bama showed was on defense. Then Texas - behind a True Freshman quarterback - came roaring and clawing back to make a game of it. Four of the final 6 minutes were actually interesting. Then a few more freshman miscues and Texas was out of it.

It was far closer than it should have been. Once McCoy went down the game was over... or should have been. Perhaps, without the injury, Alabama would have played full tilt for the whole game, and won big. Perhaps. As it was, they limped backwards into a national title, and left me (at least) with grave doubts as to whether they would have triumphed without the McCoy injury.

But as it stands, Alabama is the National Champion. No one can take it away from them. So - congratulations. Enjoy your title. I just wish I felt more convinced.

bamamick
01-08-2010, 01:22 AM
It wasn't pretty but we won. You guys can argue about what might have been all you want. The crystal football goes to Tuscaloosa.

Great game by the University of Texas' defense and all the credit in the world to young Gilbert. He really did a very good job under the circumstances. I am so sorry for McCoy, but football is a rough game and people get hurt. He has had and will continue to have a great career playing football. It was just our night to win.

I have a lot of questions about how we played tonight but I will save them for the days ahead and for another group of folks. We did things tonight that I just couldn't imagine a Nick Saban team ever doing, but somehow with us it always comes down to two things: you play defense and you run the ball and thank goodness we did just enough of both to beat a talented and determined Texas Longhorn team.

'night folks.

Mickey Lake

pefjr
01-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Injury to McCoy just gives Texas fans an excuse for losing. They can speculate all year about how it coulda been. McCoy could not do a damn thing against Nebraska's defense and Alabama's defense is better. If you can predict the bounce of the football, you can be a National Champion every year. I thought Alabama clearly won and the defense came through big. Congratulations to Alabama.

bamamick
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I went back and re-read this thread and I have to say that it was a pretty wonderful year. What started way back in August (well, actually last spring) with us getting ready to take on a very good Virginia Tech team with a new O-line, a new quarterback, and some other key parts from the 2009 team missing, wound up with us winning a national championship on the very same field that we won our first one on in the 1930's. Our first Heisman award winner. Six first-team AP all Americans (which had never been done before). The first coach in the modern era to win a national championship at two different schools.

To get through this Alabama defeated six different teams ranked in the top 25, including #'s 1 and 2 in consecutive games. It's been done before, but not for a long, long time. When all is said and done this will go down as one of the most impressive seasons in the history of Alabama football.

We should do this again next year (the thread, I mean).

Mickey Lake

pefjr
01-08-2010, 11:42 AM
“I’ll tell you what I told the team,” Saban said, “that I’ve never been prouder of a group of guys for their resiliency, their buy-in, their hard work, the blood, sweat and tears that they put in to accomplish what they accomplished this season.”

He should thank them, he's paid well(5.5M) for all their work and risk. While they are paid a scholarship. Not picking on Lou, but I would like to see this more balanced.

USC was a disappointment this year, but is my pick for next year.

Paul Pless
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
he's paid well(5.5M) Nick Saban made a base salary of $3.9 million plus bonuses for winning the SEC and the BCS brought his total compensation to just under $4.5 million for the year. The University of Alabama Football program should have a gross revenue in excess of $65 million with a net profit of over $40 million for the year. Given Saban's history of leaving programs often, he's probably in the catbird seat with regards to a contract renegotiation for more pay.:eek:

David G
01-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I went back and re-read this thread and I have to say that it was a pretty wonderful year.

Mickey Lake

I agree. Alabama had a heck of a year. Despite my disappointment with the lack of clarity provided by the championship game, it's hard to argue in favor of anyone else deserving the #1 spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they start the pre-seasons rankings at #1 as well.

Undefeated is impressive. Kudos to Boise State for achieving it as well (albeit with a slightly lesser caliber of opponent overall). It'll be fun to see how it plays out next year!

Mrleft8
01-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Isn't football over? It's almost time for baseball...

hokiefan
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Isn't football over? It's almost time for baseball...

Nope, now its basketball time. College basketball gets interesting now, with most teams starting into their in conference schedule. We have our ACC opener against North Carolina Sunday night. We've had a good start, but now the test begins. The chance to play against UNC and Duke, thats what kids dream about when they're growing up. Unless of course, they're good enough to play for UNC or Duke.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
It is not money or the lack of it that will either convince Nick Saban to spend the rest of his career at Alabama or to go somewhere else, it is the level of commitment that he gets from the school, the alumni and boosters, and the fan base. If Coach wants more money we'll give it to him. All he has to do is ask. I really don't think it's about the money at this point.

Mack Brown made a little over 5 million to coach this year. If that's what it takes to make Coach and Ms. Terry happy enough to stick around for another five or six years you can bet your life that they'll get it, but honestly, it's just numbers. As Paul said, the University of Alabama football program is one of the most profitable businesses in the state of Alabama every year. Football pays for the entire athletic budget (men's hoops, gymnastics, and softball can cover their costs, but everyone else has a hand out) and puts money back into the general fund of the University. If you ever visit the campus I think you will be impressed with the beauty of the place, but also by the amount of new construction and building that has gone on over the last five years or so. The same guy that brought Nick Saban to Alabama (Dr. Robert Witt) has worked very hard to increase not only the endowment and to make the physical plant as modern and up to date as is possible, but to increase enrollment appreciatively from 21K students about five or six years ago up to 28K right now. Football is a part of that. Football is a sport, yes. A game. But it's also something that we indentify with very closely at Alabama.

lol, Bobby. I hear you, buddy. We play LSU tomorrow in the PMAC in Baton Rouge. Should be a good game. We were 10-4 in the pre-conference games with a tough schedule. rpi is #73 right now. I saw us play KState over in Mobile and we were outclassed. KState is freakin' tough, but out kids fought back and cut it to 8 with three minutes left before we had to start fouling and it ended with them winning by 13. I have tickets for the Ole Miss game the end of February, which is also a baseball weekend, so I can do one drive and see three games in total! I LOVE going to Tuscaloosa. I don't know if it's as much as I love sailing. Maybe not, but I do love it.

Mickey Lake

John of Phoenix
01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Congrats to the Tide.

What an unusual game. Both coaches called some remarkable plays for a national championship game. The intercepted fake punt to start the game and that shovel pass interception to end the half. WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKING??

That young QB, Gilbert, was a real treat to watch - I laughed, I cried, I cheered, I cursed. His receivers let him down a couple of times - dropped some very catchable balls at critical times and cost the Longhorns at least one touchdown and probably more. Well, that's part of the game.

The one BIG disappointment was the announcing. Musberger did a miserable job. If it had been a drinking game based on "We'll be seeing him on Sundays" it would have been a commode huggin' binge.

Am I the only person who noticed there were two Longhorn players who wore number 8? Chykie Brown, corner back, on defense and Jordan Shipley, wide receiver, on offense. You don't see that every day. That would have been an interesting discussion Brent.

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Arkansas+v+Texas+2pXIRfi4hIBl.jpg http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Arkansas+v+Texas+OE4IJ2DOrell.jpg

And the lack of Texas huddles was another opportunity for comment that was missed. All the Longhorns just looked to the bench to get the play call then went to the line and snapped the ball. I’d never seen anything like that. I saw a bunch of numbered/colored placards in use, but not so much as a mention of it by the announcers. How do they signal the play without giving it away?

Anyway, an interesting game. I’ll be looking forward to seeing young Gilbert in the future. Congrats to the Tide.

See you guys here next season.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6HfKmSBNDwE/R1t2txxgJnI/AAAAAAAAAJk/nODAHtOv1Xw/s320/geaux-tigers.gif

George Jung
01-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Sorry, no sour grapes here - Alabama had a great season, and without doubt, a great team - and they're quite deserving of the Title. My only point - from what I saw, I truly believe that game would've played out differently had McCoy been able to play. Tough losing your triggerman on the first series! And while some here may feel Alabamas defense was the best, I'd disagree - I do believe Nebraska had the best, especially by seasons end. Texas, even with a true freshman, moved the ball much easier against the Tide than they did in the Big 12 title game - played in Texas, btw. No matter - Ala finsihed undefeated, and have the crystal to show for it. I suspect they'll be ranked 1st preseason. But I think there may be a few 'upsets' next year - a form of 'hope springs eternal' if ever there was one.

bamamick
01-08-2010, 06:00 PM
The duplicate numbers thing is common. We've got two #4's, two #8's, two #10's, etc. Big rosters on these teams (115 man rosters, and though they are limited in most conference games or on travel teams, when you play non-conference home games you dress out 115 kids!).

The thing about the offense is pretty common today, as well. This is the offense invented by Tony Franklin and run by hundreds of high schools across America. Greg McElroy played in that exact offense in high school at Texas powerhouse Southlake Carroll. Hoover High School in Alabama made it sort of popular through MTV's 'two a days' program a couple of years ago. The plays are wig-wagged in from the sideline with arm signals (something I first saw on Steve Spurrier's Florida teams).

Alabama runs a combination of the pro-set offense and the Nevada 'pistol' offense. We do this for a couple of reasons. For one, it seems to suit our personnel and personality. Running the ball is who we are, even though we average almost exactly the same yardage passing. For another, we run what they run in the NFL in order to attract kids who want to play NFL football. Traditionally passing spread quarterbacks and receivers don't do well in the ultra-disciplined offenses of the NFL, and kids know this.

I agree about young Gilbert. He may not have played much this year, but he was the national high school player of the year, and those guys usually pan out. He will be a star.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
So Pete Carroll left USC for Seattle. Getting out while the getting was good? Now Lane Kiffin dumps Tennessee for USC. Wow!!! Bet the Vols are pissed tonight. Wonder if USC gets smacked like they deserve for the Reggie Bush/Joe McKnight stuff. Doubt it, betting that Kiffin doesn't think it will happen. If it does though, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Oh yeah. The state of Alabama has a smile on it's face this morning, but honestly I believe that in the end this will be the best thing for Tennessee.

Look for the Vols to go after Duke coach David Cutcliffe (an Alabama grad, by the way).

Mickey Lake