PDA

View Full Version : Is it Hot in Here or Is It Just Me?

pcford
07-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Nosing up around a 100F in Seattle this week. This sucks. Gotta get out on the water where it is always 56F. God's own air conditioning.

2MeterTroll
07-28-2009, 12:50 AM
was a miserable drive home today. seemed to just get hotter as we got closer to oregon. ya might think the river would cool things off some wait it did it felt like a 114 in chihalis and its only a hundred some here. gonna be hell on the river this week.

pcford
07-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Remember to stop in Centralia at the Country Cousin diner or at the Olympic Club...a turn of the century logger's bar and club which has been converted by McMenamin's.

2MeterTroll
07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
this is not looking good for the kids.

"Monday July 27, 2009 5:30 p.m. Good Evening from the First Alert Storm Center
Portland tied its record high today of 102? and Vancouver tied its 103? record high, both set in 1958. Several other towns were within a degree or two of records. Regardless of whether they were broken or not, the heat stays on through Wednesday at least. An Excessive Heat Warning is up for from the Cascades to the beaches through Wednesday. Highs Tuesday should reach 104? in the valleys with 105? likely on Wednesday. Slight cooling arrives Thursday, but real relief likely won?t arrive until late in the weekend."

2MeterTroll
07-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Remember to stop in Centralia at the Country Cousin diner or at the Olympic Club...a turn of the century logger's bar and club which has been converted by McMenamin's.

Ohh we missed it. but that will go in our book of places to eat on our trips.

hey Pat are you going to be up in PT for the wooden boat feast?

pcford
07-28-2009, 01:02 AM
That heat sucks big time dude.

I went to two Home Depots, one Sears, one Lowes, one Fry's and I can tell you that there are approximately ten air conditioners available for sale in Seattle...none I can use.

Oh, yes, Fry's is terrible. Every time I go there I swear it's going to be the last.

On the plus side...this time next week I will be at Shi-Shi beach/Point of Arches on the Olympic Peninsula...one of them most beautiful places in the world and decidedly cooler than here.

pcford
07-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Ohh we missed it. but that will go in our book of places to eat on our trips.

hey Pat are you going to be up in PT for the wooden boat feast?

eyyyyyy...have not been there in years. Maybe 25 years. Used to be because I was not enough of a hippy. Now it's because I am not a rich retired person.

I go to the Victoria Show more or less regularly...nice show.

2MeterTroll
07-28-2009, 01:29 AM
That heat sucks big time dude.

I went to two Home Depots, one Sears, one Lowes, one Fry's and I can tell you that there are approximately ten air conditioners available for sale in Seattle...none I can use.

Oh, yes, Fry's is terrible. Every time I go there I swear it's going to be the last.

On the plus side...this time next week I will be at Shi-Shi beach/Point of Arches on the Olympic Peninsula...one of them most beautiful places in the world and decidedly cooler than here.

I am going to combine this and your answer to the wood boat fest.

we are not rich and retired either but its a nice way to see pretty boats and we get to go hang out at the Hoa and Shi Shi. we just combine the trips. this year i am thinking of bringing Tari Tari up so i can show her to a friend of mine that will be at the show. shes nothing like as big or ruggedly beautiful as the Joshua but well they are diffrent boats. I think they will look good together. Sides i owe the old man a bottle of wine.

hmm we have not been to the Victoria boat fest we will have to see if we can get a teaching gig up there around that time. a little dallying time is always good.

pcford
07-28-2009, 01:42 AM
I am going to combine this and your answer to the wood boat fest.

we are not rich and retired either but its a nice way to see pretty boats and we get to go hang out at the Hoa and Shi Shi.

Great idea...I have been going to Shi-Shi since about 1972. I am doing a documentary on a group of artists that lived in some fishermens shacks at the mouth of the north fork of the Skagit. The shacks were there from the days of river mouth net fishing. Anyway...they had a "summer place" at Shi-Shi...on the north bank of Petroleum Creek. Triangular place...like a pyramid. A pane of glass about 6 feet long and two feet high...you could look out at the breakers. That's living.

2MeterTroll
07-28-2009, 01:51 AM
hmm we will have to go look for that. theres several natural builders in the area. and i would bet dollars to dough nuts they know where it is. last year we took our honey moon at the Hoa. good time of year for it the elk where in rut and there where chicken of the woods all over the place. so we got center stage at the fights and a mess of good dinners. think we spent the entry fees to the park and that was about it.

pcford
07-28-2009, 01:57 AM
hmm we will have to go look for that. theres several natural builders in the area. and i would bet dollars to dough nuts they know where it is. last year we took our honey moon at the Hoa. good time of year for it the elk where in rut and there where chicken of the woods all over the place. so we got center stage at the fights and a mess of good dinners. think we spent the entry fees to the park and that was about it.

The shacks at Shi-Shi were torn down when the Park service took over in the mid 70s.

There was the triangular shack build by Robert Sund, a Fishtown poet, and the miners' shack...a rough affair build by some "miners" who spent the time on the claim drinking whiskey. Rascals.

2MeterTroll
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
hmm may be theres some pictures from the time. we will see how much i can hike and go for a ramble. I love the rain forest to me its like being back home but with actual old growth. I believe i am too much a child of rain forest and seas sometimes. there are few things i like better than a good storm in the rain forest and some time at sea off the coast of the same.

goodbasil
07-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Quite warm here too. I think I picked the wrong week to wax my legs.

2MeterTroll
07-28-2009, 03:27 AM
why would you wax your legs? razor works just fine with out the pain.

skuthorp
07-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Quick burst with the blowtorch mate, but I mean quick! Don't want no scorch marks.

Nanoose
07-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I go to the Victoria Show more or less regularly...nice show.

Let us know if you're coming up this year. I think Lew indicated he and Lindy would be back....maybe some others? If so, sounds like an EBS in the making.

Mrleft8
07-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Finally got warm here yesterday.

Nanoose
07-28-2009, 08:45 AM
OK....I'll put my idiocy on display for all to see...
Why will one sunny day be a nice, say, 73 degrees, and a few days later, same conditions, but it hits 103? What changes to do that?

TimH
07-28-2009, 09:19 AM
I like the heat.

Nanoose
07-28-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't like the heat. I'll take Alaska over the Amazon any day.

TimH
07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Like PC said:

out on the sound its cool.

Mrleft8
07-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't like the heat. I'll take Alaska over the Amazon any day.

I'll take the Caribbean..... Hot sun, cool breeze, :D :cool:

TimH
07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
The National Weather Service predicts that the heat wave will last at least through Friday.
The forecast calls for Wednesday and Thursday will be the hottest days. In fact, Wednesday could end up being the hottest day ever recorded on any date. Highs those days are expected to be in the upper 90s but could reach 100 or even 104 in some areas.

Looks like Wed is a good day to go sailing :)

Nanoose
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
just remember the sunscreen and a hat...

John Smith
07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
The National Weather Service predicts that the heat wave will last at least through Friday.
The forecast calls for Wednesday and Thursday will be the hottest days. In fact, Wednesday could end up being the hottest day ever recorded on any date. Highs those days are expected to be in the upper 90s but could reach 100 or even 104 in some areas.

Looks like Wed is a good day to go sailing :)
Depends on where you sail and what kind of wind/breeze you end up with.

Yeadon
07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I'll be in PT for the festival. I always have a good time there, usually during the afterhours events. I'm neither a hippy nor rich. I am smart and charming, however. Humble too.

I hope to cruise Big Food up there from Shilshole, then catch a tow back to Seattle behind someone's boat. I will probably tie up wherever Zulu is hanging out.

bobbys
07-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Nosing up around a 100F in Seattle this week. This sucks. Gotta get out on the water where it is always 56F. God's own air conditioning..

Its almost 80 here on the coast and i cant take it, I know thats not hot anywhere else but we never can get used to hot weather here as we only get it a few weeks a year.

If it stays hot the fog moves in after a few days, Being close to the ocean sometimes its pea soup all day!!!!.

If no fog NW winds set in

Yeadon
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Movie theaters are packed in Seattle when the heat arrives. So are the malls, Barnes and Nobles, and the grocery stores. Fred Meyer was packed at 10 p.m. last night. I went to wander the store and escape the heat. So did everybody else. It was like Christmas, except we were all holding watermelons.

TimH
07-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Depends on where you sail and what kind of wind/breeze you end up with.

from NOAA:

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 81. Calm wind.

UGH

They are wrong at least half the time though.

Bruce Hooke
07-28-2009, 02:47 PM
OK....I'll put my idiocy on display for all to see...
Why will one sunny day be a nice, say, 73 degrees, and a few days later, same conditions, but it hits 103? What changes to do that?

Typically I believe it depends on where the air around you came from. I am less familiar with how the air flows work out in your area, but here in New England a typical pattern would be cold air flowing down from Canada versus warm humid area getting pulled up from the mid-Atlantic region. The jet streams play a role in this and often have a role in setting longer term weather patterns, and individual high and low pressure systems the fronts associated with them also play a major role.

goodbasil
07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Expected to hit 104 inland here for next 2-3 days.
I am not a hot weather guy.

I always felt sympathetic towards US soldiers born and raised in Skidgate, Alaska then sent to Iraq. And now the Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan.

John Smith
07-28-2009, 04:13 PM
We're going through a nasty spell. Hoping August will be nicer, and into September.

Heat bothers me more than it used to, and it's just not much fun to do things when it's too hot.

TimH
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Heat + watersports = fun.

John Smith
07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Heat + watersports = fun.
True enough. Sadly the nearby places to go boating aren't where one would like to swim.

Pool in back yard is inviting, and Hurricane Harber water park is nearby.

I am reminded on the gentleman on Raritan Bay many years ago. Very hot. No wind. Couldn't stand it. Jumped overboard to cool off.

Then realized he had no way to back back in his boat.

TimH
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
If I were in Michigan I would be in the lake all the time....
Puget Sound isnt conducive to this however.

Perhaps with my wetsuit.

If I fell overboard I might be able to grab the shrouds and swing my legs up. Might be worth experimenting with before I run into a real situation though.

Yeadon
07-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I rowed Big Food out into Lake Union about two hours ago, jumped over the rail, swam around the boat, and climbed back in. I'll do the same tomorrow night, too.

TimH
07-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Feels cold out right now.

2MeterTroll
07-29-2009, 02:53 AM
Well it was 115 F in selwood today; we will probably call off the river trip for tomorrow cause its expected to be even hotter. hard to have kids paddle when its so nasty out.
This heat keeps up and i am going to have to figure out a mountain lake for the kids to go play in. the river is just to crowded and nasty.

LeeG
07-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Feels cold out right now.

go to bed

Yeadon
07-29-2009, 10:47 AM
... supposed to be 99 degrees today here in Seattle. Send in the bombers. This attack cannot stand.

2MeterTroll
07-29-2009, 11:12 AM
trip called off
at 8:00 this morning it was 80f

currently it is 85F.

so its back to finding a mast.

Canoez
07-29-2009, 11:35 AM
... supposed to be 99 degrees today here in Seattle. Send in the bombers. This attack cannot stand.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3676769979_9820455c17.jpg

pcford
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM
It was 78f at 6:30am this morning. The stores do not have FANS for sale, let alone air conditioners.

At night, it has been unusually quiet.

---------------------------------------
The rooster carp...down here with the rest of the bottom feeders

bobbys
07-29-2009, 01:11 PM
It was 78f at 6:30am this morning. The stores do not have FANS for sale, let alone air conditioners.

At night, it has been unusually quiet.

The rooster carp...down here with the rest of the bottom feeders.

65 at 11 going up to the 90s today they say, Theres a bit of wind, If it stays hot people from Portland flock down to Seaside to escape the heat.

pcford
07-29-2009, 02:21 PM

65 at 11 going up to the 90s today they say, Theres a bit of wind, If it stays hot people from Portland flock down to Seaside to escape the heat.

Hey did you check out my sigfile...thanks bobbys, Dutch or whoever you are.

2MeterTroll
07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
some of the people.

We will go down south rather than seaside or any place up at this end of the coast.
this weekend if the heat stays up it going to be a rush to the coast from inland and all the western states. i hate it when this sort of heat happens. sooo many idiots show up.

bobbys
07-29-2009, 02:34 PM
some of the people.

We will go down south rather than seaside or any place up at this end of the coast.
this weekend if the heat stays up it going to be a rush to the coast from inland and all the western states. i hate it when this sort of heat happens. sooo many idiots show up..

Seaside gets a lot of people but im in Gearhart so we never get to many, Only thing is if you need to go to the store you have to go early or go north

bobbys
07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey did you check out my sigfile...thanks bobbys, Dutch or whoever you are.

A lot of people from Wash and Seattle own homes here. I have a big list of homes i work on that people own from there, A lot of the Computer people.

pcford
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM

A lot of people from Wash and Seattle own homes here. I have a big list of homes i work on that people own from there, A lot of the Computer people.

Computer people? Do you have to plug them in?

You said you were a dory fisherman, or have you forgotten?

Yeadon
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
A/C alert ... top pot doughnuts on fifth avenue downtown has air conditioning. Please make a note of this.

TimH
07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
According to weather.com its 64 here right now :) according to my thermometers its 95 in the back and 123 in the front.

Dave Gray
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
My thermometer shows 103 degrees. It is about 85 to 90 in the living room. The AC is in the upstairs bedroom. I wish I was at the coast again today! It was in 80s there yesterday, which is toasty for the Oregon coast.

Yeadon
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
I really feel for the cats right now, who are at home in their fur coats. I might go home and put them in the truck and turn on the a/c, except no way I'm letting those little bastards tear up my seats out of pure joy.

ron ll
07-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm out here by the water and it didn't seem so bad, even in the parking lot. Then I had to go into downtown Ballard and at about halfway between the Lockspot and Limback Lumber, a blast of air about 15 or 20 degrees warmer hit me. Ballard sidewalks were brutal! This big swamp cooler out here at Shilshole works pretty well. :)

TimH
07-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I really feel for the cats right now, who are at home in their fur coats. I might go home and put them in the truck and turn on the a/c, except no way I'm letting those little bastards tear up my seats out of pure joy.

Are you related to Jack Handy?

:)

johnw
07-29-2009, 05:45 PM
About an hour ago the thermometer at the Bartells at 45th & University showed 106, now it's down to 104. I'm thinking I should try wetting the cat's fur at home if they'll stand for it.

johnw
07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Now the sign outside Bartells says 107. I'm wondering where the sensor is.

PeterSibley
07-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Don't ever visit Oz in Summer....please !

katey
07-29-2009, 06:31 PM
OK, this is ridiculous. We have 108 degrees in the shade, per two different thermometers in two different parts of the yard. Surface temperature (from a sun-exposed thermometer) was 156.

TerryLL
07-29-2009, 06:33 PM
My sister just emailed me from Duvall, 105 degrees. I won't mention what the weather is like over here in northern Idaho, or you'd all be camped out in my back yard.

Dave Gray
07-29-2009, 06:40 PM
I wonder if I can fry an egg on the hood of my car?

johnw
07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Anybody got a recipe for that?

Canoez
07-29-2009, 07:01 PM

I bet that you can. There was a picture in the newspaper here many years ago that showed a woman standing on the sidewalk with a spatula in her hand cooking an egg at her feet during a heatwave.

johnw
07-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Official new record at Seatac, 103.

pcford
07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Are you related to Jack Handy?

:)

Good eye!!

pcford
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm out here by the water and it didn't seem so bad, even in the parking lot. Then I had to go into downtown Ballard and at about halfway between the Lockspot and Limback Lumber, a blast of air about 15 or 20 degrees warmer hit me. Ballard sidewalks were brutal! This big swamp cooler out here at Shilshole works pretty well. :)

Western Ballard is always more moderate...cooler in summer...warmer in winter.

ron ll
07-29-2009, 08:09 PM
iPhone now says it's 103 in Seattle. Went home and checked on the cats then came down to the boat and motored out into Shilshole bay. Nice breeze out here, almost had to put another shirt on. Shut down the engine, mIxed a gin and tonic with lots of ice. Watching the sialboat races. Sometimes everything's okay.

Okay, sailboat. I haven't had that much gin.

ron ll
07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Only problem with drifting is, no matter where I park the rudder, this thing likes to settle into the trough and roll. Need to put the mast and stabilizers back on the boat.

Kathy is at the ballgame. Do they close the roof when it's this hot?

Dave Gray
07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I am glad I can leave my windows open overnight so in the morning the living room is a cool 75 degrees, unlike so many city folk that are shut up in their hot homes. My dog, variously known as Killer, Chicken Dog, Mutt, and Furface, makes sure we are safe at night.

Only thing is I have to wait until about 11 PM to open things up as it has been staying up around 100 until the sun sets.

bobbys
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Computer people? Do you have to plug them in?

You said you were a dory fisherman, or have you forgotten?

>>>Hey did you check out my sigfile...thanks bobbys, Dutch or whoever you are.<<<.

Whats wit all the comments????.

I came to your thread just telling you the weather here.

The fog rolled in nice and cool now

pcford
07-30-2009, 12:05 AM

>>>Hey did you check out my sigfile...thanks bobbys, Dutch or whoever you are.<<<.

Whats wit all the comments????.

bobbys, you are the one who called me a rooster carp and invited me to pm you if I did not know what it meant.

Thanks anyway...best sigfile I've had in some time.

bobbys
07-30-2009, 12:15 AM
bobbys, you are the one who called me a rooster carp and invited me to pm you if I did not know what it meant.

Thanks anyway...best sigfile I've had in some time.

No it was Bobby, im BobbyS, Hey he came after me so its not my fault.

Now what do you say young man???:)

pcford
07-30-2009, 01:07 AM

No it was Bobby, im BobbyS, Hey he came after me so its not my fault.

Now what do you say young man???:)

By golly, you are correct, bobbys. I have to thank Bobby not you, bobbys.

Hard to tell the riders from the horses down here without a program.

Anyways, here's a big shoutout to Bobby for the inspiration for the sigfile.

Bobby (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/member.php?u=1986) http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Tylerdurden
PC, I think you are a rooster carp. If you dont understand pm me. This is a public forum. You dont own it. So jstfu. o yea :)
beautiful.

TimH
07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Went out sailing last night. At the mouth of Penn Cove it was about 75 degrees and 15 knot winds. With all the spray flying about it was very nice indeed :)

oznabrag
07-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Don't be silly. Take your cast-iron skillet out and put it on the sidewalk in full Sun for about an hour, and you'll be able to fry that egg, and eat it too!

Nanoose
07-30-2009, 03:42 PM
OK....down on the water in Victoria (Beacon Hill Park) it was a beautiful day and a comfortable 19 degrees (66F) in a very light ocean breeze. Drove home, up in the hills, 20 minutes away and it is 29.5 (86F) and dead still air. Quite the difference.

bobbys
07-30-2009, 03:59 PM
By golly, you are correct, bobbys. I have to thank Bobby not you, bobbys.

Hard to tell the riders from the horses down here without a program.

Anyways, here's a big shoutout to Bobby for the inspiration for the sigfile.

beautiful.

So far as i can tell you have a problem with.

Dutch.

Tylerdunder.

Bobby.

And you have called me dutch from the get go and said im not what i yam here even though i dont believe i ever said one mean word to you or doubted who you say you are.

Im starting to see a pattern here, I dont know who hurt you or why but you gotta start letting go.

johnw
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Aren't we all a little Dutch sometimes?

huisjen
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm a lot Dutch all the time.

Dan

johnw
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Is this going to turn into that scene from Spartacus? Each of us stepping forward and saying "I'm Dutch!"

pcford
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM

So far as i can tell you have a problem with.

Dutch.

Tylerdunder.

Bobby.

Dutch and Bobby are one and the same...Dutch does seem to know more about boats than many here. (in recent history most) He annoys people because he will not reveal his identity. I don't care.

Tyler Durden was irritating...but is gone.

bobbys
07-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Is this going to turn into that scene from Spartacus? Each of us stepping forward and saying "I'm Dutch!".

:D

bobbys
07-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Dutch and Bobby are one and the same...Dutch does seem to know more about boats than many here. (in recent history most) He annoys people because he will not reveal his identity. I don't care.

Tyler Durden was irritating...but is gone.

The only real solution i see here is a .

BEER SUMMIT!!!!:D

pcford
07-31-2009, 11:31 PM

The only real solution i see here is a .

BEER SUMMIT!!!!:D

Ok but no Bud Lite.

pcford
08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
umm what is a rooster carp? is it something that came from the ohio river or one of those other toxic back east waterways?

or is it some kinda lake dweller from a containment pond.

gotta ask Bobby. but I think it is pretty disreputable. he said I have to pm him.