PDA

View Full Version : Time lag after posting

Wooden Boat Fittings
07-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I know this has been discussed before, but twice today I've posted what I thought was a prompt reply to the last post on a thread, only to find after posting that another post had intervened, dated about fifteen minutes earlier than mine. I assume that that post took fifteen minutes to be 'recognised' and appear on the Forum.

Have others experienced anything similar recently?

Mike

paladin
07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know about the software in use here....but some forums have auto search functions that scan the message for objectionable words or phrases and flags them or will eliminate or place them in a file to be reviewed before posting.

J. Dillon
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Big brother is watching us all. :(

JD

Captain Intrepid
07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, I'll have to wait for others to weigh in on the matter before I take any firm stand, but I've never noticed a delay. I must admit I'd be curious to hear if anyone else other than you has had delays...

S/V Laura Ellen
07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
It would be interesting to know when the time stamp is created.
Is it:
1. When the Post reply button is pressed.
or
2. When the final post is submitted.

If it is #1 it may answer the question.

The Bigfella
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Its because you are in Canberra, Mike.

Gotta go through various security checks, clearances, etc.

Just imagine trying to post from Washington or Moscow.

Wooden Boat Fittings
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks fellows.

As I read it, it's actually not me it applies to but the poster before me. I read what was the last post, write a reply and hit Submit -- all of which might take, say, five minutes. My reply shows up almost immediately (a matter of seconds) but an intervening reply is magically there as well, dated fifteen minutes earlier.

Interesting.

Maybe Laura Ellen has the answer, and the post is time-stamped when the Submit button is hit, not when the post actually appears.

Wooden Boat Fittings
07-27-2009, 09:13 PM
So I noted when my last post was made, and the time it was stamped with was exactly the time I sent it, which seems to imply that the Norman Nodes Theory is also correct.

Thanks chaps.

Mike

S/V Laura Ellen
07-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Basically, the problem is that it's an Internet race to determine who gets posted, and when. Even if you have fast Internet access, there may be nodes on the route your data is being sent which have temporary lags... so the delivery time will be inconsistent.

I see the same effect, on emails to/from my partners... sometimes, delivery is near-instantaneous, and at other times, there can be a substantial lag. There are times when one of my partners has received the same email I've sent up to 20 minutes after the other partner... but it's rare for that to happen.

Not much of anything you can do about it, unfortunately.

It's quite common for there to be delays in e-mail, but the reasons for these delays do not explain why a forum post would be delayed by 10 minutes or more.

E-mail systems are a store and forward system. Your PC send the e-mail to your local SMTP server that stores it and forwards it on to the destination POP server. The POP server holds the e-mail waiting for the destination e-mail client to connect and request the e-mails.
This process can take considerable time. For example, I use Thunderbird, it checks for new e-mail items every 10 minutes, so there could be a delay in the last step up to 10 minutes.

The same process does not exist for web traffic. The client requests to enter edit mode. The users types the content and sends it to the web server. The web server then updates the forum contents with the post. At no time is there a store and forward mechanism used that would account for a sizable time delay.