PDA

View Full Version : Naked girls plow fields for rain

Shang
07-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Naked girls plow fields for rain
PATNA, India (Reuters) -
Farmers in an eastern Indian state have asked their unmarried daughters to plow parched fields naked in a bid to embarrass the weather gods to bring some badly needed monsoon rain, officials said on Thursday.
Witnesses said the naked girls in Bihar state plowed the fields and chanted ancient hymns after sunset to invoke the gods. They said elderly village women helped the girls drag the plows…
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE56M3G020090723

(Don't knock it, it beats cloud-seeding.)

(The Scot-hammer falls on this thread in ...3... 2... 1...)

Paul Pless
07-27-2009, 07:10 AM
(The Scot-hammer falls on this thread in ...3... 2... 1...)The scot hammer falls as soon you post pics. :D

Shang
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
The scot hammer falls as soon you post pics. :D

The mental image is sufficient.

skuthorp
07-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Hmm, things are dry down here too, I wonder................

Andrew Craig-Bennett
07-27-2009, 08:05 AM
This must be one of the more backward parts of India; they have not tried cricket.

PeterSibley
07-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Backwards is good .

Shang
07-27-2009, 08:37 AM
This must be one of the more backward parts of India; they have not tried cricket.

Andrew, you're a genius!
You've just hit upon the way in which Americans could be induced to watch cricket.
...India could field a team of naked girls.

rbgarr
07-27-2009, 09:56 AM
The gods are embarrassed by nude girls??

TimH
07-27-2009, 09:59 AM
The gods are stupid.

Kaa
07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Naked girls plow fields for rain
PATNA, India (Reuters) -
Farmers in an eastern Indian state have asked their unmarried daughters to plow parched fields naked in a bid to embarrass the weather gods to bring some badly needed monsoon rain, officials said on Thursday.

These people are a bit confused. Yes, it is traditional to conjure rain by engaging in some activities that could be called plowing, involve naked people, and happen in the fields :-)

But these farmers are doing it wrong. :D

Kaa

John of Phoenix
07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
These folks don't have cars to wash so they have to resort to naked girls with plows.

"This is the most trusted social custom in the area and the villagers have vowed to continue this practice until it rains very heavily."

What's the ritual to get rid of the floods? Naked boys? Naked old women? Heavily clothed livestock?

JimD
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
There's gotta be a great pick-up line in there someplace.

Canoeyawl
07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
It gives a new twist to the term "fertile fields"

TomF
07-27-2009, 12:20 PM
The only responses I can come up with are Scot-worthy.:D

TimH
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Since when can we trick the gods into doing anything? If they were trickable by humans they certainly wouldnt be gods.

Syed
07-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Lucknow, June 25 (IANS) Marriages of frogs are being conducted, women folk are harnessing themselves to the yoke to plough the fields, and children are ritualistically rolling on the ground. In the large parched swathes of Uttar Pradesh, people are resorting to every known rite and ritual to invoke the rain gods.
In Varanasi, where the mercury has already breached the 40 degrees Celsius mark, villagers performed the wedding of frogs to usher in the delayed monsoon.Link (http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/business/uttar-pradesh-villagers-perform-rituals-to-usher-in-rain-lead_100209505.html)

John of Phoenix
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Marriages of frogs. Why didn't we think of that during the dust bowl?

Bruce Hooke
07-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Syed does, indirectly, raise the good point that while the methods are, shall we say, a bit unusual to our eyes, to say the least, it sounds like the underlying problem is pretty serious.

oznabrag
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Since when can we trick the gods into doing anything? If they were trickable by humans they certainly wouldnt be gods.

Looks to me like the Gods have tricked the young girls, in this case!

pcford
07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Andrew, you're a genius!
You've just hit upon the way in which Americans could be induced to watch cricket.

My god. Baseball is a soporific. Soccer is worse. I can't imagine what enduring cricket would be like.

Syed
07-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Most Americans believe that a two-dollar note brings misfortune. Gamblers usually call it a “duce” — a term for two. To “undo” the possible harm, one corner of the note must be torn off forming a triangle — an ancient symbol of life. Many believe that if all the candles on a birthday cake are blown in one breath while making a silent wish, it will come true. Breaking a mirror is believed to bring hardship for seven years. In Chicago, a man dropped a pocket mirror while fixing his tie and shattered it. “Oh no!” he yelled to his wife. “Now I am going to face seven miserable years.”Complete article (http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/in-paper-magazine/magazine/superstition-or-pseudoscience)

JimD
07-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I hear girl on girl plowing will reaally make it pour.

Paul Pless
07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Most Americans...i don't think so

Bruce Hooke
07-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Most Americans believe that a two-dollar note brings misfortune. Gamblers usually call it a “duce” — a term for two. To “undo” the possible harm, one corner of the note must be torn off forming a triangle — an ancient symbol of life. Many believe that if all the candles on a birthday cake are blown in one breath while making a silent wish, it will come true. Breaking a mirror is believed to bring hardship for seven years. In Chicago, a man dropped a pocket mirror while fixing his tie and shattered it. “Oh no!” he yelled to his wife. “Now I am going to face seven miserable years.”

Complete article (http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/in-paper-magazine/magazine/superstition-or-pseudoscience)

This is a good point. While I would say that most Americans do not take these specific superstitions all that seriously, there are others that clearly are taken seriously. How many buildings are there with "no" 13th floor (of course its there, they just skip it in the numbering). Look at all the little "traditions" around weddings and funerals that are taken more or less seriously.

Religion is a major source of what could be called superstition. Of course if you are a follower of a particular faith it is not likely to go over well if someone tells you your beliefs are superstitions, but really, if you look at the hard, cold evidence for many religious practices it is hard to separate many of them from superstition.

When a religion is very foreign to our own experience it is much easier to brand some belief or practice as superstition, whereas when it is our own faith we see the long history of the belief or practice, the historical origins of it, and the comfort we gain from doing what "has always been done," especially when it comes to marking particularly momentous occasions in life or dealing with especially serious situations.

Religion and superstition are both complicated...they can delude us in ways that ultimately harm us, but they can also give us comfort and ease the difficult times in life and ultimately help guide us to living a better life. I am going to be slow to judge which are which!

Captain Intrepid
07-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Complete article (http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/in-paper-magazine/magazine/superstition-or-pseudoscience)

IIRC, the thing about the two dollar note is it used to be the traditional amount of money used to buy a vote.

rbgarr
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
What's the ritual to get rid of the floods... clothed livestock?

We're knitting overcoats for seagulls up here and keeping our fingers crossed. ;)

John of Phoenix
07-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by John Teetsel http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2269851#post2269851)
What's the ritual to get rid of the floods... clothed livestock?

We're knitting overcoats for seagulls up here and keeping our fingers crossed. ;)
And out here we're looking for tiny little amphibious wedding rings. No rain to speak of since Feb and this is our monsoon season.

WX
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I can make it rain here. All I have to do is suggest a workday repainting our bridge....and down it comes. This technique has not failed once.

The Bigfella
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
The whole Easter thing is based on where the moon is in the sky... not the date that Jesus supposedly did anything special.

John A. Campbell
07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I live in central Texas, reportedly the most drought-stricken area in the entire continental USA .....it starts in my immediate area, extends south to San Antonio, and west to Kerrville and probably beyond. We desperately need rain and lots of it. I shall immediately print out this thread, distribute it, and see if I can round up a few naked girls as volunteers to bring us some relief.......(drought relief, of course)

Glen Longino
07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Looks to me like the Gods have tricked the young girls, in this case!

Do we need any further evidence that men created gods?:rolleyes::)

PeterSibley
07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
The whole Easter thing is a rewrite of ancient fertility rituals , look for Bunnies .

That said , there is nothing like a long drought to bring out the superstious panic in a people .We have had a plethora of church services beseeching a deaf god .I'd much rather attend the UP version .

Glen Longino
07-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I live in central Texas, reportedly the most drought-stricken area in the entire continental USA .....it starts in my immediate area, extends south to San Antonio, and west to Kerrville and probably beyond. We desperately need rain and lots of it. I shall immediately print out this thread, distribute it, and see if I can round up a few naked girls as volunteers to bring us some relief.......(drought relief, of course)

I was in your area today, in Temple!
It's dry as a bone here too, 100 miles north of you on highway 36.
Rain is in the forecast and I heard thunder a few minutes ago.
Hey, we could pray for rain, but I like the plowing girl plan better!:)

Joe Dupere
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Maybe if we got a bunch of rednecks to mow their yards nekkid, it'd finally STOP raining here in Maine.

Joe, FPoP

S B
07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Plowing the feilds naked?that's just for the old men,everyone knows,just hauling the drawers off one brings the monsoon rain.:D

oznabrag
07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
IIRC, the thing about the two dollar note is it used to be the traditional amount of money used to buy a vote.

Contemporaneously and equably with that valuation was the price of a sexual favor in most of the US.

Lew Barrett
07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Added: SB you beat me to it, but we cross posted (more or less).

If the gods have any say at all in this, I believe it is I, and men like me, the fat men over 60, that should be plowing the fields naked. We should intone the following, set to the tune: "My Boy lollipop"

No, No we won't stop
'till you pour some drops
We are fat old mensches
Come now to your senses
Send us cooling rain
Or we won't ease your pain

Whenever you look down
you'll see our asses round
Our popping varicose veins
will never leave these plains
Fill our water urn
Or your eyes will burn.

See, you'll give sweating, chanting, naked old men anything they want just
to make them go away.

oznabrag
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I was in your area today, in Temple!
It's dry as a bone here too, 100 miles north of you on highway 36.
Rain is in the forecast and I heard thunder a few minutes ago.
Hey, we could pray for rain, but I like the plowing girl plan better!:)

It seems to be working in Austin! :D

Lew Barrett
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
No insults intended to the rituals, by the way. It's equally true that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

By the way, I suspect the root of this ritual is probably that the women abandon their modesty to demonstrate to the Gods how real is their plight and that of their families. In this respect, it is as Bruce says, no laughing matter. But I couldn't resist anyway....

If we believe that oil is precious today, wait until the water runs out.

Glen Longino
07-27-2009, 10:27 PM
No insults intended to the rituals, by the way. It's equally true that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

By the way, I suspect the root of this ritual is probably that the women abandon their modesty to demonstrate to the Gods how real is their plight and that of their families. In this respect, it is as Bruce says, no laughing matter. But I couldn't resist anyway....

If we believe that oil is precious today, wait until the water runs out.

I suspect the naked girls are far more sincere than the gods or the old men.
The most sincere humans I've ever run across on the long trail have been naked girls.
As a genuine humanitarian, I've always tried to do my best to care for naked girls, even when it was a personal sacrifice to myself. Hmmmm!:rolleyes:

oznabrag
07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Amen.

Glen Longino
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
It seems to be working in Austin! :D

Same here, John!
No sooner had we begun to talk about naked girls plowing, than it began to thunder and rain here. It's still raining! Praise the lord!
Heathen and Unbeliever that I've been(lord have mercy) I've seen the light!
Yep, I've been jerked by the bootstraps into Belief!
I saw it with my own eyes. Rain!
By the end of the week I expect to have my own Church started right here in north Texas.
I've caught the Spirit!
Now I can understand how all those other fools, er, I mean penitents around here fell, er, I mean feel!
I'm trying to think of names for my church.
So far, I'm inspired by "Church Of Naked Virgins and Near-Virgins In The Rain"!
Tell me what you think. Does it have legs? Will it draw a crowd?

2MeterTroll
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
depends on the services.

Bruce Hooke
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
added: Sb you beat me to it, but we cross posted (more or less).

If the gods have any say at all in this, i believe it is i, and men like me, the fat men over 60, that should be plowing the fields naked. We should intone the following, set to the tune: "my boy lollipop"

no, no we won't stop
'till you pour some drops
we are fat old mensches
come now to your senses
send us cooling rain
or we won't ease your pain

whenever you look down
you'll see our asses round
our popping varicose veins
will never leave these plains
fill our water urn
or your eyes will burn.

See, you'll give sweating, chanting, naked old men anything they want just
to make them go away.

:D :D :D :D

Oh my...

oznabrag
07-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Same here, John!
No sooner had we begun to talk about naked girls plowing, than it began to thunder and rain here. It's still raining! Praise the lord!
Heathen and Unbeliever that I've been(lord have mercy) I've seen the light!
Yep, I've been jerked by the bootstraps into Belief!
I saw it with my own eyes. Rain!
By the end of the week I expect to have my own Church started right here in north Texas.
I've caught the Spirit!
Now I can understand how all those other fools, er, I mean penitents around here fell, er, I mean feel!
I'm trying to think of names for my church.
So far, I'm inspired by "Church Of Naked Virgins and Near-Virgins In The Rain"!
Tell me what you think. Does it have legs? Will it draw a crowd?

I don't know, man. I mean, once the naked virgins begin to show up in any numbers, we may want to keep some sort of lid on it!

P.L.Lenihan
07-28-2009, 03:47 AM
How many naked girls would it take to help me finish my boat? Does it matter if it rains during daylight hours or after sunset? Do they have to be single? Do they have to be virgins? Do I have to tell them when it starts to rain or do I just shut up and let them work naked? Will they drink me out of house and home? Do they have to swallow? I gotta know all this really soon, before the bus load arrives .....or else my gf will have my head on a platter and feed me to the fishes:)

Cheers!

Peter

P.S.....why does the picture attached to the linked article show only a a sole worker up to their knees in a watery,muddy field?

John B
07-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Xena is getting naked .
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10587185

P.L.Lenihan
07-28-2009, 05:17 AM
Does she drink beer?

Peter

brad9798
07-28-2009, 07:20 AM
During monsoon season, they'll be doing the 'stop all this f-ing rain dance' as their stuff washes away ...

Shang
07-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Maybe if we got a bunch of rednecks to mow their yards nekkid, it'd finally STOP raining here in Maine.

Joe, FPoP

Be careful what you wish for... here in the Ozarks such things are not unheard-of.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
maybe it is working, just not where they expected. It has been raining like mad here in Jersey City. The population here is probably close to 50% East Indian immigrants, coincidence?