PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Simmons Sea Skiff

mshipman
01-02-2004, 10:59 AM
I have a 19'-6" Simmons that I am ready to paint.

A professional painter has told me that the horizontal surface made by the lapstarkes, where they overlap, should be faired so that the overlaping plank is not a horizontal surface but more of a gentle angle. He said that paint will constantly be chiping off of the bottom of the plank (at the horizontal part where it overlaps to the next plank). I am refering to painting the outside of the boat.

Fairing these joints without rolling the boat over is proving to be difficult at best. Rolling the boat over to fair these joints does not sound like much fun eaither.

Does it really matter?

On Vacation
01-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Okay, lets start back at square one. Does the boat have an engine on it? If not the boat will roll over with the greatest of ease, with two people if you desire this method. Painting a Simmons with its flare is a difficult propostion at best, unless you have it a good height.

Next you can round over the lap edge with a block and some coarse paper, to ease the troublesome edge, and surely get by with regular paint. On the roundover, you will need to put multiple coats of primer on this boat. Is this boat an older one that you are redoing, or a new one?

I will check back and reply further, upon these answers.

Keith Wilson
01-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Does it really matter? In a word, no. Rounding over the edges a little, as Oyster says, is a good thing, since paint doesn't like sharp outside corners. However, in my experience, given good prep, paint will stick as well to the edges of the laps as anywhere.

mshipman
01-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the reply.

No engine, the boat is being built new. I have put several coats of CPES on it, I am a little skeptical of this product, my boat was rained on a few times and all the CPES was essentially washed off of the inside, now time to re-sand etc.

On Vacation
01-02-2004, 11:33 AM
If this boat is sitting a trailer, you can do the paint job easier if you remove the bunks and cushion chines with towels, and lay it over, block secure, to sand and paint, one side and then roll layover the other way and do the other side. If this boat is upright on a jig, then make legs to lay this boat over on an angle.

Roll it by blocking one side on a tire, padded by a piece of carpet, and block the stem and bow cap, just under the nose,and block the stern at the well area, up that the transom clears the floor. I do this also on a raised strongback. This helps with not bending over and when it comes time to roll this boat back upright. We do sometimes, apply small fillets, under the laps, but if you roll this boat, then just ease the edges. Chipping paint, sometimes is worse it the plywood is fir, as in some of the older boats. Prime the edges of the laps, especially with multiple coats of primer, in addition to the normal coats for the sides.

What type of paint will you be using for this boat?

[ 01-02-2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Oyster ]

mshipman
01-02-2004, 01:23 PM
I have not decided what kind of paint to use, I want a gloosy yacht quality finish.

The hull color will probably be a dark blue or red.

Reccomanedations?

On Vacation
01-02-2004, 06:10 PM
You never did comment on the type of plywood that you used or say if you used any finishing cloth for the boat. Many on this forum use a hig quality enamel paint called Kirby. We have a resident "professor" here on this subject. [Where are you Margo?] ;) But in my humble opinion forget about Brightsides, from my experience as a one part paint, with the name of Poly attached to it. The two part paints on straight plywood is not recommended because of the amount of invisible movement of the wood. In south Florida, especially I would never recommend this at all.

There are cheaper enamel paints that some use that are even hardware enamel paints that work pretty good. The primer is very important now, being new, so you need to decide on your paint. Some paints are finicky about the primers under it. Yes I will say this again, primer is needed and very necessary in this job.

mshipman
01-02-2004, 06:42 PM
The plywood is Honduras Mahogony.

I suppose Kirby prime with Kirby 1 part LP?