PDA

View Full Version : Alaska and Oil

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-25-2009, 11:02 PM
The recent resignation of the Alaska governor prompted a comment from an Alaskan author-politician who is also a Native. His brief with the governor is she is guilty of what the Natives term "quivit", quitting. With the projected future of the state to be in decline some alternatives must be addressed if the state is not to revisit it's somewhat impoverished past. Alaska needs a governor with a vision for the future who is willing to make the hard choices.
Alaska hit the big time in 1977 when the Trans-Alaska Pipeline started delivering crude to Valdese. At it's peak 2 million barrels a day. Presently it's only passing 700,000 barrels. Without the riches of the North Slope Alaska may return to it's former condition where there weren't enough assets to tax to keep the government functioning.That was the situation when Alaska became a state. Federal hand-outs kept it alive for a long time.

LeeG
07-26-2009, 04:12 AM
does Alaska have some kind of savings program/trust that grows from the oil production or do the disbursments Alaskans get simply track income from the oil?

paladin
07-26-2009, 06:28 AM
When I was there they were spending as fast as they could get it.....and everyone wanted to be a politician to get their share. Many folks there are married to native Alaskans and when they set up the first system, the money went to only permanent Alaskan Citizens...but a lot found other pockets. Eventually many small businesses that were self supporting started being "Taxed" in various ways so most folks packed up and left for greener pastures. I say this with a tongue in cheek sort of thing...because I was living on the outskirts of Anchorage...friends lived in Eagle River, between Anchorage and Wasilla and we spent most of our time around the airport or in the bush or had permanent homes/cabins elsewhere. With the influx of all the drugstore cowboys (Oil field workers, coming from the lower 48 with no jobs, just hunting for work and no money, and wearing $300 cowboy boots and monster silver belt buckles etc), the place turned into a ghetto. Most locals kept their planes at Lake Hood.....suddenly there wasn't enough space for the commercial guys, so the small guys were squeezed out, hangar space double, then tripled in size/price, hotel rooms cost more....
Then when the boom was over...a lot of folks had gone elsewhere, found other places to work and hangar their aircraft, business downsized and then the weenie that was governor placed a fee for big game of $600 a head on wolves etc to try to boost the treasury and get big hunters back etc......and a helluva lot of the workers left owing large hotel bills around town...it wasn't unusual to go to lunch and get a bill for $30-35 for a 8-10 dollar meal around here.
Vehicles were in short supply and it takes a while to ship them up. Ford built some nice 4 wheel drive vans called quadra-vans...built in headbolt heaters, everything...extended fuel tanks. I climbed Hatcher Pass in mine during a Jerry Lewis telethon and acted as a radio repeater with my ham gear. I had offers from the oil companies of 3-4 times what I paid for it. They wanted everything. I finally sold out the shop to a fellow who had grandiose ideas of a large Cessna full service dealership. I tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn't listen. I took the money and went sailing.

BrianW
07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
While still pissed that she quit, I'm still convinced she did more for the oil field future of Alaska that either of the past 2 governors (1 democrat; 1 republican.)

Some Native groups are mad at her because she tried to appoint a person to a State position (I forget, Attorney General?) who had a history of not supporting native subsistence rights.

To hear that a native "author/politician" is concerned about receiving Federal handouts is humorous at a minimum. Concerned about not receiving enough perhaps.

Nicholas Scheuer
07-27-2009, 06:33 PM
So, whut yer say'in is, Alaskan oil is not suffieient for "energy independance" from Arabia?

Is that correct?

If so, when will Sarah GET A F------ CLUE?

If I missunderstand some element of this, please point it out.

Moby Nick

paladin
07-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Brian is still in Alaska....I'm not, so my info is dated. The pipelines will need rebuilding. They are aging and a disaster waiting to happen. My last conversations with a friend tells that it's an accident waiting to happen and it won't be pretty...if the pipe ruptures anywhere the tundra is going to take a hit...an ecological nightmare. If they drill more, that's more services, pump more oil, then they will have to build/repair existing infrastructure. For Alaska...all processing is in the lower 48, so their oil is piped down, processed and piped back up....see what that does to the price. Under the previous law, I'm not aware of any changes, a percentage goes to the registered Native Alaskans, and then some to legal residents...which I think I still qualify...still have my drivers license and left the state to work as a contractor on a military base overseas.

BrianW
07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
So, whut yer say'in is, Alaskan oil is not suffieient for "energy independance" from Arabia?

I haven't said anything about that subject. If you're looking to rant, don't use me as your springboard. Just go off the deep end yourself.

BrianW
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Brian is still in Alaska....I'm not, so my info is dated. The pipelines will need rebuilding. They are aging and a disaster waiting to happen.

There's been a lot of pipline work going on since the Gathering Center Spills a few years back. Not on the TransAlaskaPipeline (TAPS) but rather the intra-field pipes. Those are the ones that caused the 2 big spills. All that adds up to lot's of good paying jobs for those willing to work for a living.

BP was negligent on their pipeline maintenance program after they took over from Arco. They got spanked, and now seem to be doing better. I've seen a lot more pigging operations going on the past few years. As far as I know, the Feds and the State are happy with the current operation. My understand is that Conoco-Phillips (the operator on the west side of the field) has done much better. I don't know a lot more than that.

My last conversations with a friend tells that it's an accident waiting to happen and it won't be pretty...if the pipe ruptures anywhere the tundra is going to take a hit...an ecological nightmare.

The only big spill from the TAPS was caused by a drunk Native (just a fact, take it as you will) shooting it repeatedly with a 338 Win Mag until it finally sprung a leak.

If they drill more, that's more services, pump more oil, then they will have to build/repair existing infrastructure.

Man, that will be great! It's not that companies aren't trying, they just have to deal with local villages (reasonable enough), out-of-State greenies (screw'em) and the 9th Circus of Appeals (enough said about them.) Look towards Shell in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas, Chevron also in the Chukchi. BP is gearing up for the longest Alaska well ever this winter.

I'm no expert of all of the oil tax revenues. The Permanent Fund Dividend is payed equally to all Alaskans. But there may be a whole separate section for Native Corporations

Nicholas Scheuer
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I was asking Cyahoga Chuck, BrianW, not ypu.

He posted that a flow that once was 2 million barrells/day has been reduced to a current 700,000 barrels/day. At the same time Sarah is talking about "energy independance" That's not a rant, that's a quote.

What I'm looking for is an UNBIASED observation concerning how much oil in under Alaska. Do you know?

It's not a "rant" to disregard anything Sarah has to say on this subject.

Moby Nick

BrianW
07-27-2009, 07:49 PM
What I'm looking for is an UNBIASED observation concerning how much oil in under Alaska. Do you know?

I suggest the internet. Not Chuck or his quoted friend. But if you think the oil companies, who have spent millions (if not billions) for that information are going to give it to you for free... I've got a 'Bridge to Nowhere' to sell you.

It's not a "rant" to disregard anything Sarah has to say on this subject.

Nope, but this is classic rant...

If so, when will Sarah GET A F------ CLUE?