PDA

View Full Version : Just learned that John Surtees' son was killed.

Paul Pless
07-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Racing, especially at the top levels, has become so sterile that it comes as much more of a shock when a driver is seriously injured or killed these days. My condolences go out to Henry's family and loved ones.

John, on his son's life and death.

"Henry had followed his heart from the time he first sat in a kart," "He treated seriously the balance between motorsport and school, having just finished his A-levels. The world beckoned and he was thriving on the freedom to concentrate on his motorsport.
"Despite bad luck in his motorsport, he had shown himself to be one with the possibilities of reaching the very top. Despite his young age he had shown maturity, technical understanding and speed. Most importantly he was a nice person and a loving son and brother. He will be deeply missed."

The senior Surtees was a hero of my father's and by extension became a hero of mine, even though he was retired before I became old enough to really appreciate his accomplishments as an active motorcyle, grand prix, and sports car champion.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-25-2009, 01:56 PM
A good friend just called him up to say sorry.. Gary was a formula driver... knew Surtees.

Ross M
07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
:(:(:(

The Bigfella
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear that...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6727505.ece

John is the only person to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels. I saw John in Adelaide in the late 80's - he overtook me on the drive up to the Eagles Nest - he was in one of the W series Mercedes racing cars - an incredible machine.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
07-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Wonderfully written by Martin Brundle. Terrible loss.

The Bigfella
07-26-2009, 02:15 AM
and Massa has suffered "life threatening" head injuries in a practice crash for the Formula 1 GP...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/224094-felipe-massa-suffers-life-threatening-injury-undergoes-head-surgery