PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Rust/Galvanising

Ronin NW
06-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I've found a quite affordable used CQR anchor, which I've been on the lookout for for some time, but I want to find out whether it seems to be in good enough condition: It's a 45-pounder, and has what appears to be surface rust along the front edges of the plow and a bit near the shank hinge. I assume it's been scraped up and the galvanising worn away, and like to think that these bits can be grinded down and re-galvanised. Am I crazy? Where do I go for galvanising? Is it expensive?

Thanks in advance - Scott

Mike Vogdes
06-24-2005, 03:29 PM
You could knock the rust off with sand paper and use cold galv from a spray can, or just spray paint with a suitable color. The best thing I think is to just use it, after a couple times it will shed any rust.

ssor
06-24-2005, 04:17 PM
I bought a 35 pounder that had been painted and I have been using it that way for six years now and the paint is getting a bit worn. I expect it will take thirty or forty years to lose enough weight to become a problem.

JimConlin
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Galvanizers are getting hardeer to find, and they often have minimum lots. If you can't find one, or won't tolerate the minimum charge, cold galvanising paint is a passable stopgap.

Bob Cleek
06-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Galvanizing is priced by the weight of the stuff you have to get galvanized. Usually, they have a minimum, like 100 pounds. What guys do is gather up everything they can find like their anchor chain and anchors and whatever, and three or four go in together. That way, the cost goes way down. Most galvanizing is a big industrial operation, so the economy of scale is operative. Don't bother trying to get the rust off, they'll do that for you, likely by dipping in a chemical bath. Make sure you get it all hot dip galvanized, not hot sprayed. In a decent sized lot, it isn't expensive. Look 'em up in the yellow pages.

maa. melee
06-26-2005, 01:33 PM
zinc chromate is amzing stuff but dries green. great for trailer touch ups.

John B
06-26-2005, 03:36 PM
A lot of plough type anchors have a lead run into a cavity in the tip of the plough. This gets lost in the galvanising process so you have to be aware of it. Obviously, if its one which does have the lead, you have to replace it. Don't let your wife catch you brewing it on the kitchen stove.

John B
06-26-2005, 04:46 PM
"No no" ? shock horror. of course it isn't a no no. Its about being caught or not. ;)
for example: I tried quite hard to conceal the boat I assembled in the lounge but unfortunately the throw rug my wife inherited from her granny wasn't quite big enough.

disclaimer: do not brew lead without adequate ventilation else you'll lose your marbles.

Ronin NW
06-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Okay gang, I got me a new anchor :D
AFter everybody touting the benefits of the CQR and the minor effects of surface rust, how could I refuse?
Also looked around the neighborhood and found two galvanizers within, oh, about a mile of my marina. It's actually much cheaper than I thought. It'll cost me about $20 to galvanize the anchor, but there's a $50 minimum, so all I need is another friend or two with rusty anchors. Shouldn't be too hard, eh? (Any takers?)

Terry Etapa
06-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Maybe, I've got a rusty Forfjord I've been thinking about galvanizing.

Ronin NW
06-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Awesome! Anybody else? They'll do a chemical bath to remove surface rust, anything more will require sandblasting (I can only assume "for an additional charge") I'm not sure of the turnaround time, but on a small run it should be quick.