PDA

View Full Version : Monster, Sci Fi films

John Smith
07-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I still like, from the old days, "THEM", "The Thing", and "the blob" and "King Kong"

Three of these have been remade.

I'll not comment on the remakes, except for the one where King Kong was in modern NYC. Back in '29, a giant ape would have been a problem. These days he'd get mugged in central park:o

The original blob, with Steve McQueen had pretty poor special affects, but was still a cool movie.

Paul Pless
07-24-2009, 08:25 AM
The Jessica Lang King Kong is my favorite. I also like the Japanese King Kong versus Godzilla movies.

ccmanuals
07-24-2009, 08:29 AM
One of my favorites:
http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_gk/assets/widget_c8m7qVtQfmcPHHClLTLQT_.jpg

Flying Orca
07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
For my part, I consider "sci fi" to be a horrible, base Hollywood concoction not worth a bucket of cold sick. The creditable science fiction films have been vanishingly rare, with Blade Runner the best of the bunch.

Paul Pless
07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
For my part, I consider "sci fi" to be a horrible, base Hollywood concoction not worth a bucket of cold sick. The creditable science fiction films have been vanishingly rare, with Blade Runner the best of the bunch.

Alien :rolleyes:

Flying Orca
07-24-2009, 08:44 AM
A fine film, no question, and wildly entertaining - but nowhere near the artistic level of Blade Runner.

Keith Wilson
07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
“Forbidden Planet”"Monsters from the Id!" :D I saw this for the first time in a theater with some friends long after it first came out. There's a line where they're trying to repair a spaceship; "He's the best quantum mechanic in this sector", and John (Gonzalo) and I, both knowing what quantum mechanics actually is, burst into raucous laughter. The people around us thought we were decidedly strange.

Uncle Duke
07-24-2009, 08:53 AM
"Brazil" - especially the long version of the "directors cut", which restored a lot of missing pieces....

Flying Orca
07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Hmmm yeah, good call.

John Smith
07-24-2009, 09:02 AM
One of my favorites:
http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_gk/assets/widget_c8m7qVtQfmcPHHClLTLQT_.jpg
Yes, the whole series was fun.

Paul Pless
07-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Kaa
07-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I am highly amused by people who think that Starship Troopers is a nice action movie showing the heroism of our youth in dealing with the alien menace :D

Kaa

Kaa
07-24-2009, 09:48 AM
"The City of Lost Children" (La cité des enfants perdus)

The beginning of that movie can *really* screw up your perceptions of Santa Claus... :D

Kaa

TomF
07-24-2009, 10:22 AM
A fine film, no question, and wildly entertaining - but nowhere near the artistic level of Blade Runner.+1 on that.

John Smith
07-24-2009, 11:27 AM
There's a British sci-fi film from the 50's which I remember watching, as a kid, but haven't seen in ages, and I can't remember the name.

What I remember about it: something about a kid who wanders out on the misty sand dunes at night, and falls into some sort of tunnel under the sand.... and the alien is a creepy looking character with a bunch of fingers and shifty eyes, and a huge head (no body) inside what looks like a glass sphere.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Know the name of the picture?
Same boat you're in. Remember the movie, but not the title.

Beowolf
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Godzilla vs damn near anything. (Rodan, Mothra, MechaGodzilla, the Smog Monster, Monster Island...)

Gamera.

Anything on MST 3K. (Including GirlsTown, starring Mel Torme, Paul Anka, and Mimi VanDorn!)

Lew Barrett
07-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Blade Runner's a modern film, so if that's fair game (and I like it too), so is Twelve Monkeys and The Fifth Element....and Space Balls!

coelacanth2
07-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I thought "Mars Attacks" was pretty funny. Heinlein wrote "Starship Troopers" during a rather different time, and the book can be read several different ways. The man himself was quite conservative in many of his views, but rather libertarian overall. The "Alien" movies I thoroughly enjoyed, but I've always had a crush on Ms Weaver :D.

Flying Orca
07-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Blade Runner's a modern film, so if that's fair game (and I like it too), so is Twelve Monkeys and The Fifth Element....and Space Balls!

OK, you got me. Twelve Monkeys was pretty good, and The Fifth Element had good scenery (I prefer the slightly more serious Besson)... but Spaceballs is a true winner!

seanz
07-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Terminator.
Some of Arnie's best acting.
:)

S/V Laura Ellen
07-25-2009, 10:18 PM
My favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPFxBzlFe94&feature=related

John Smith
07-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Terminator.
Some of Arnie's best acting.
:)
I really liked the Terminator, and was about to post it; you beat me to it.

Terminator 2 wasn't bad, but it totally lost me when they had exploded the frozen guy and watched him reassemble. Seems it would have been a natural thing to try to prevent that.

Then maybe he'd have reassembled himself with a malfunction, which could have been cool.

Sue H.
07-26-2009, 08:02 AM
John, I love those old movies. When we were kids (those of us old enough to remember when these were new releases) that was scary stuff! Watching one now is fall down funny, but great fun for those of us who used to have nightmares over them.

Recently, "The Angry Red Planet" was on TV, and it had the worst special effects I've ever seen. The monsters were a joke - one was simply a drawing of a space alien that would pop up at the spaceship window now and then, and the other one looked like a wad of mucous. They don't make 'em like that any more! The Mars scenery was simply regular scenery shot through a red filter. The budget for that movie must have been about $33.50. ;)

All of the movies suggested are great, and some like "City of Lost Children," "Freaks" and "Brazil," to name a few, are classics. But those old movies were great!

Many of the new horror flicks show so many entrails it would turn a person's stomach ("Nightmare on Elm Street," etc) The old "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" movies were benign in comparison, but very scary in their day, and still fun to watch.

John Smith
07-26-2009, 08:12 AM
John, I love those old movies. When we were kids (those of us old enough to remember when these were new releases) that was scary stuff! Watching one now is fall down funny, but great fun for those of us who used to have nightmares over them.

Recently, "The Angry Red Planet" was on TV, and it had the worst special effects I've ever seen. The monsters were a joke - one was simply a drawing of a space alien that would pop up at the spaceship window now and then, and the other one looked like a wad of mucous. They don't make 'em like that any more! The Mars scenery was simply regular scenery shot through a red filter. The budget for that movie must have been about $33.50. ;)

All of the movies suggested are great, and some like "City of Lost Children," "Freaks" and "Brazil," to name a few, are classics. But those old movies were great!

Many of the new horror flicks show so many entrails it would turn a person's stomach ("Nightmare on Elm Street," etc) The old "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" movies were benign in comparison, but very scary in their day, and still fun to watch.
Special affects have come a long way. King Kong was shot frame by frame using clay models; very time consuming.

"The Blob" was, I thought, a great concept, and would have liked better special affects.

I also have a fond spot in my heart, as does my grandaughter, for the Abbot and Costello meet series. They were funny.

"JAWS" was almost great. I actually liked JAWS 2 better, except for the mayor's attitude. He could have told Martin to take the boat and find the kids, and we'd have had the same movie.

Where the first JAWS lost me was with the barrels. As they were only after the one shark, they'd have harpooned him and fastened the other end of the line to the bow of the boat.

But I'm picky.

Special affects in "THEM" were surprising good.

Sue H.
07-26-2009, 08:43 AM
"Jaws" was awesome! It's a classic in my book.

American Internations (AI) did some of the most bogus horror movies ever in the '60's. "Frogs" comes to mind. The budget was so low, that they just used regular frogs, spiders, birds, snakes, etc as the monsters. Someone would run, fall, and then be covered in frogs or whatever. Lots of croaking sound effects. Hysterically funny!

On the other hand, Hitchcock could actually terrify you using the common bird.

bamamick
07-26-2009, 10:51 AM
'Serenity' is one of my favourites.

Mickey Lake

John Smith
07-26-2009, 01:47 PM
"Jaws" was awesome! It's a classic in my book.

American Internations (AI) did some of the most bogus horror movies ever in the '60's. "Frogs" comes to mind. The budget was so low, that they just used regular frogs, spiders, birds, snakes, etc as the monsters. Someone would run, fall, and then be covered in frogs or whatever. Lots of croaking sound effects. Hysterically funny!

On the other hand, Hitchcock could actually terrify you using the common bird.

Don't get me wrong, "JAWS" was great. I just didn't get the barrels, or why the boat didn't sink.

There are just some things that movies do that irk me. There was a movie where the earth was going to be destroyed, and a rocket was built to carry a bunch of people to another planet. They have this frightful landing on snow and ice, skidding along. When they come to stop and open the doors, It's green, sunny, and lovely. All the snow disappeared. Don't remember the name of the movie.

Would JAWS have lost anything if it didn't have the standard mayor reaction?

joeha
07-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Don't forget the classic "Killer Klowns from Outer Space"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttvGz7rnjRE

Joe

Michael s/v Sannyasin
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think you can compare modern day films with the old B movie classics. Some of the old B movies are actually better now, because they are so campy.

Here are some of my faves from lots of categories

Old Sci-Fi
Metropolis
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
Barbarella
Zardoz
THX 1138
Fahrenheit 451

Old Sci-Fi horror
The Crawling Eye
The Creature from the Black Lagoon
Killer Shrews
The Fly
The Thing With Two Heads
Plan 9 from Outer Space

Old Horror
Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein
Wolfman
Dracula
The Mummy
The Bad Seed
The Island of Doctor Moreau
The Hills Have Eyes
Lord of the Flys
Village of the Damned (1960)

Modern Sci-Fi
Blade Runner
Alien (horror crossover)
Predator (horror crossover)
Gattaca
City of Lost Children
Twelve Monkeys
The Fifth Element

Modern Horror
The Exorcist and Exorcist III
Evil Dead II
The Lost Boys
Lifeforce
The Lair of the White Worm
King Kong (with Naomi Watts)
Fido
Shaun of the Dead
13 Ghosts

Well, one could go on and on...

Iceboy
07-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Jeez, anything but "Time Bandits". The mozo on board the R/V Hero would put that movie on every stinking night and then fall asleep. The rule was once a movie was put on, there was no turning it off or changing it. I still shudder every time I see Time Bandit. Even on JCSOH's favorite show.

Tom Galyen
07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Abbot & Costello meet Frankenstien and Dracula. A horror movie that will never be equaled.