PDA

View Full Version : Why we wear life jackets

John Smith
07-24-2009, 06:14 AM
The other day we went to Hurricane Harbor, our local water park. I got a tube and came down one of the many large slides they have.

When I left the tube and hit the water at the bottom, the tube and I instantly, and unexpectly, flipped. Suddenly I'm under the tube and under water.

It's only 3' deep, but I can't touch bottom. The sudden flip had disoriented so that I had no idea what direction was up. Forunately, the life guard, immediately upon seeing the flip headed my way and had me standing, and gave me support until I steadied.

The lesson here is that any time we hit the water unexpectedly, we could have a similar lack of orientation. The life jacket knows which way is up.

Phillip Allen
07-24-2009, 07:00 AM
I sailed for three months at a streatch once and never had the jacket on...looking back, I believe, were I to do it over again, that I would certainly have one on most of the time.

once, in 14 foot seas we all sat holding on very tightly (pooped several times) and no one had one one...nearly lost one overboard (saved by one of us grabbing his ankle) and still no jackets...that was stupid but I was going by the recomendations of the boat owner...never again

John Smith
07-24-2009, 07:10 AM
I sailed for three months at a streatch once and never had the jacket on...looking back, I believe, were I to do it over again, that I would certainly have one on most of the time.

once, in 14 foot seas we all sat holding on very tightly (pooped several times) and no one had one one...nearly lost one overboard (saved by one of us grabbing his ankle) and still no jackets...that was stupid but I was going by the recomendations of the boat owner...never again

Many of the newer ones are not overly restrictive of movement, or particularly uncomforatable. If you can afford them, some inflate upon hitting the water; a feature that would make a nice mast head float.

Phillip Allen
07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Why didn't you wear harnesses?

foolishness...won't happen again

John of Phoenix
07-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I read somewhere that the majority of people who drown never intended to get wet in the first place. They fall off a boat, trip on the dock, things like that.

In the future... ;)
http://www.deepfriedconcepts.com/work/ill_ride_main.jpg

TimH
07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
It's only 3' deep, but I can't touch bottom. The sudden flip had disoriented so that I had no idea what direction was up. Forunately, the life guard, immediately upon seeing the flip headed my way and had me standing, and gave me support until I steadied.

I imagine a life jacket would take some fun out of the water park. But it would indeed be embarassing to drown in 3' of water.

John Smith
07-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I imagine a life jacket would take some fun out of the water park. But it would indeed be embarassing to drown in 3' of water.
Fortunately the water park has life guards all over the place. To drown under those circumstances would have been quite possible, but then embarassment would have been the least of my worries.

Anytime we hit the water in an unexpected instant, disorientation is a distinct possibility.

Paul Pless
07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
you could wear those arm floaty things

TimH
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I like these :) If you find yourself drowning at the bottom of the water slide, just pull the string!

http://shop.sailnet.com/images/MD3183red.jpg

Rob Hazard
07-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Go to a shop that specializes in high-end kayaking gear. PFDs made for paddling are much more comfortable than the ones made to be stored under a thwart in order to meet regulations. Plus they have pockets to fit the stuff you'll need to have with you if you go over the side (strobe light, whistle, VHF). Kokatat and Stohlquist are two good names to look for.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-25-2009, 01:24 AM
I can't wear a standard life jacket.
I sink.
Found out in a situation where I didn't plan to get wet.
I had my "way to old" trusty life vest on and sank like a rock.
I found out I can't swim like I used to and I needed a Life Jacket for a man over 250#.
Lucky I didn't hit my head.
Lesson learned.

John Smith
07-25-2009, 08:50 AM
I can't wear a standard life jacket.
I sink.
Found out in a situation where I didn't plan to get wet.
I had my "way to old" trusty life vest on and sank like a rock.
I found out I can't swim like I used to and I needed a Life Jacket for a man over 250#.
Lucky I didn't hit my head.
Lesson learned.

I just use a large size (I'm 285#) runabout vest. I wouldn't go to sea with it, but it does its job. Also has the advantage of being a bright color, so I'll be more easily spotted should I be in such a condition I need outside assistance.

Which brings me to another point. I've been working on a boarding ladder arrangement that will let me get back in the boat; something very important.

I bought a small, two step, telescoping ladder, and fastened the hinged part on the port side of the transom as low as it would fit, and fold it up, held in place with a bungie. If I have to get back on board, I can undo the bungie from the water, swing it down, and it telescoped pretty deeply. I will test it next time I'm out.

I would like to make a mast head float, so if I should capsize, I don't turtle. I'd love to find something that inflates when needed, but doesn't inflate in a heavy rain.

Any suggestions?

Phillip Allen
07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I just use a large size (I'm 285#) runabout vest. I wouldn't go to sea with it, but it does its job. Also has the advantage of being a bright color, so I'll be more easily spotted should I be in such a condition I need outside assistance.

Which brings me to another point. I've been working on a boarding ladder arrangement that will let me get back in the boat; something very important.

I bought a small, two step, telescoping ladder, and fastened the hinged part on the port side of the transom as low as it would fit, and fold it up, held in place with a bungie. If I have to get back on board, I can undo the bungie from the water, swing it down, and it telescoped pretty deeply. I will test it next time I'm out.

I would like to make a mast head float, so if I should capsize, I don't turtle. I'd love to find something that inflates when needed, but doesn't inflate in a heavy rain.

Any suggestions?

what about some sort of murcury switch?

John Smith
07-25-2009, 10:44 AM
what about some sort of murcury switch?

Interesting idea. Guess it would bounce around a lot at the mast head while boat is subject to wave activity.

I would think that if such a device were offered, it would find a market. Minimal windage while sailing, but priceless in a capsize.

Phillip Allen
07-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Interesting idea. Guess it would bounce around a lot at the mast head while boat is subject to wave activity.

I would think that if such a device were offered, it would find a market. Minimal windage while sailing, but priceless in a capsize.

the switch wouldn't have to be located at the mast head

Hwyl
07-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Any suggestions?

Haven't we discussed this before http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94839

bobbys
07-25-2009, 01:43 PM
While fishing in my Dory i bought a thin life vest and wore it all the time, They found a few Trollers going around in circles with no one on board, Figured they fell overboard while picking fish or going wewe off the side.

My friend bought a tuna boat recovered as a Ghost ship, I never felt comfortable going near that boat!!!