PDA

View Full Version : Palin's resig. announcement, edited

rbgarr
07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/07/palin-speech-edit-200907

I cud 'a been a contenduh, Chollie... instead of a bum, which iz whut I yam. ;)

BrianW
07-22-2009, 07:15 PM
You a subscriber?

rbgarr
07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
No. Who subscribes to hard copy magazines anymore when you can see so many for free online?

Todd Bradshaw
07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
That's a rather curious statement to post on the forum of a hard copy magazine......

Keith Wilson
07-22-2009, 10:31 PM
That's just painful to read, even ignoring the edits. Awful, awful writing. God help us, she even messed up the president who presided over the purchase of Alaska from the Russians! A few years back Minnesota had a governor who talked much like that (Rudy Perpich, a Democrat). He was from the Iron Range, and couldn't put three words together without at least one grammatical error.

BrianW
07-22-2009, 11:46 PM
According to the link, it's a transcript of her speech. The Vanity Fair article leads the reader (hopefully stupid) to believe it's a copy of the speech she had in hand (or notes, or God forbid a tele-prompter.)

Does anyone here actually believe her speech, as written, started with "Okay, good."? If so, please remove yourself from the topic now, lest you appear dumber than already proven.

Big difference between the written speech, and a transcript of her actual spoken words.

I should expect most of us would be shocked by a transcript of what we've actually uttered during even a minor public speaking event. Watching others lead a meeting session, especially when they're new, is often very entertaining.

In any case, this sort of exercise could be done on any public figure. That it was done to Palin, by Vanity Fair, is more a statement about Vanity Fair than Palin. In fact, given this is the same magazine often quoted around here on issues concerning Palin, this article lowers their credibility substantially.

Keith Wilson
07-23-2009, 07:07 AM
It's fascinating how the Democrats are terrified of her.Oh no, Jack; you have it completely wrong. Democrats are in no way terrified of her, rather fascinated as one is perversely fascinated by utter incompetence. The ones who are genuinely terrified are thoughtful conservatives like Peggy Noonan or George Will, terrified that she will keep doing damage to a cause they believe in.

Brian, I realize it was a transcript, and what I was speaking about as awful writing wasn't interjections like "OK, good". Everybody does that, and you're quite right; a transcript of how most of us speak in normal conversation might look pretty bad. I'm referring to the meat of the speech, the part that was almost certainly written down beforehand. It's embarrasingly bad, and she has no more facility with ideas than she does with words.

SMARTINSEN
07-23-2009, 07:16 AM
I agree with KW. It is the not-insane faction of the GOP that is terrified of Sarah.

She cannot--at least based upon what she had demonstrated so far--ever be elected President.

Mrleft8
07-23-2009, 08:11 AM
She cannot--at least based upon what she had demonstrated so far--ever be elected President.

Unfortunately, that's what many of us said about Dubya......Twice.....:rolleyes:

Bill Huson
07-23-2009, 08:23 AM
speaking of speeches . . . Yes indeed, Palin is lacking in verbal skills and basic English grammar skills. But the goobers of America managed to put Mr Stupid-Beyond-Comprehension in office for two terms. Of course I think this is a clear indication that the Republican conservative electorate is also lacking in basic brainpower.

John Smith
07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
It must be horrible to be under the political microscope. Who hasn't made a stupid statement, or if a politician made a fool of themselves on the toob?

Palin is probably running for president. It's fascinating how the Democrats are terrified of her. Straightforward, no nonsense, fried chicken and mashed potatoes on a Sunday afternoon. There's undoubtedly more going on there, but that's what they are selling.

Obama, who will be re-elected, will seem stale.

There seems to be an ongoing fascination with Palin. I have to ask, however, is it not the same kind of fascination that draws people to look at car wrecks, house fires, or freak shows?

LeeG
07-23-2009, 08:50 AM

grown-ups are boring

rbgarr
07-23-2009, 08:50 AM
That's a rather curious statement to post on the forum of a hard copy magazine......

The 'so many' magazines I'm referring to are generally dated and topical, thus thrown out soon after reading. I save WBs and PBs. :D

ccmanuals
07-23-2009, 09:13 AM
It must be horrible to be under the political microscope. Who hasn't made a stupid statement, or if a politician made a fool of themselves on the toob?

Palin is probably running for president. It's fascinating how the Democrats are terrified of her. Straightforward, no nonsense, fried chicken and mashed potatoes on a Sunday afternoon. There's undoubtedly more going on there, but that's what they are selling.

Ish, if you are just looking for someone exciting to be in the White House then why not just go for Paris Hilton? For me I would prefer someone a little less exciting and alot smarter. :)

Joe (SoCal)
07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/07/palin-speech-edit-200907

I cud 'a been a contenduh, Chollie... instead of a bum, which iz whut I yam. ;)

You was my brother, Charley.
You should have looked out for me a little bit.
You should've taken care of me a little so I wouldn't...
...have to take dives for short-end money.
I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.
You don't understand, I could have had class!

Ahhhh Geeeze Chollie whatdoyagottagoanddothatfer

Tom Montgomery
07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Ish, This Democrat is not only not terrified of Sarah Palin but is hoping and praying that she heads the Republican presidential ticket in 2012!

With the death-grip that the right-wing of the GOP has on the primary process it is a real possibility!

I could not be happier.

bobbys
07-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Sarah Palinís feminine appearance, charm, and rhetoric transformed the dowdy image of female leadership a la Betty Friedan, Bella Abzug, Madeline Albright, or Janet Reno. With her casual and humorous approach to public speaking and her down-home expressions, she makes harsh feminist diatribes seem empty, meaningless, out-of-touch and out-of-date.. I guess she could read a telePromter and tawk in a Haughty French/ Boston, English accent ala Madonna to impress some of our high class Bilge dwellers. However to be honest i dont always get the midwestern accent.:)

rbgarr
07-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Madonna for high political office? Yes, that's what people want. :rolleyes: