PDA

View Full Version : Myths, truths of Canada's universal coverage

TimH
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but another good article for George Roberts to dispute.

Canadians pay higher sales taxes up to twice as much as in many U.S. cities but all 33 million are entitled to hospital and physician services at government expense. No Canadian goes bankrupt because of medical bills.
Across the border, 62 percent of the near-record number of bankruptcy filings are at least partly because of health-care costs. Some 46 million have no insurance; millions more are underinsured.
And while Americans spend more per person on health care than any other country, they aren't the world's healthiest. Canadians and residents of 28 other nations live longer.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2009506926_canahealth21.html

B_B
07-22-2009, 08:10 PM
article linked to discusses average income tax rates for two income groups - C$40,000 and C$150,000 - and compares between countries.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/prbpubs/prb05107-e.htm

Apparently the effective average tax rate for single persons earning C$40,000 in Canada is 25% and the US is 24%, for those earning C$150,000 rates are 37% in Canada and 34% in the US. (tax rates are for central and sub-central governments added together).

I would be interested to know what the average cost of medical insurance is, as a % of income, for individuals in the US - I can't imagine its less than 1% for those earning $40,000 or 3% for those earning $150,000 ($400 and $4,500 respectively)?

bob winter
07-23-2009, 05:17 AM
I am not holding my breath on US healthcare reform after reading some of threads on the topic. You guys can't even seem to agree what is needed. What is needed seems pretty simple to me: a level of universal coverage that will ensure that all Americans can receive the healthcare they need without being faced with bankruptcy.

Old Sailor
07-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Will one of you Aussies pipe up and tell us about your health program. I've heard it's exceptional.
Old Sailor

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-23-2009, 09:56 AM
A reasonable article. The Canadian system is not the best, but it isn't because it's socialized. Our issues are compounded by having a for profit health system of immense size just south of us. We also have geographical inequities based on living desirability, and just plain distance.

The French, the Japanese, and a whole host of others have exceptional public/private partnership health care systems...

I have my doubts about the USA getting some health care reform. Too much greed, and too much ignorance among the general population to drive the change needed. So it goes, America is a democracy. If they really wanted change, they would do what needed to be done. Empowering the lower classes to help themselves has always been a tough job. It's hard to find hope when you're poor.