PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pool Tiles

clancy
07-21-2009, 11:48 PM
A friend of mine has an in ground pool. There is a six inch band of decorative ceramic tiles on the top of the pool wall. The waterline is in the center of the band. Some of the tiles below the surface of the water have fallen off. What kind of waterproof glue should be used to put them back in place?

SchoonerRat
07-22-2009, 12:11 AM
You should be able to find mastic and grout specifically made for pool tile at a local pool supply company.

brad9798
07-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Do the right thing and drain the pool down a couple of/few inches ... apply with tile adhesive and grout them.

A fast fix for the season is just apply with caulking and 'grout' with caulking ... then at the end of the year, do it correctly.

I worked on pools in college, and have had them/owned them my whole life since a kid ...

This is how we do it in the Midwest, at least!

Good luck!

brad9798
07-22-2009, 07:53 AM
There's not a whole lot of pressure at 2-6" under the water ... if tiles fall off, they needed to be replaced anyway.

This is another reason why newer and/or lower end pools don't have real tile ... they require maintenance ... annual maintenance ... like a wooden boat! :)

John Turpin
07-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Your local pool store will have a product called Pool Patch (or something similar to that name). This is a product that can be used as a patch or tile mastic. It can even be applied underwater. I've used it mid-season to fix cracks or replace tiles and it works pretty well.

brad9798
07-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Personally, I prefer tile (Cobalt blue to be specific :) ). They require more maintenance and are more expensive (tile-ringed pools, that is), but oh they look so nice!

To me, the best LONGTERM pool is a concrete (gunnite). Sure, it will cost significantly more than cheaper versions ... but it will last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

Liner pools are cheap to install ... and oh-so-fun to replace the liner when it fades, splits and shrinks every few years ... Many liner pools are actually framed in WOOD too ... imagine that mess underground and damp after a few years ... :eek:

Concrete base and stainless sides are okay, but the seams tend to seap and leak a fair amount after the first couple of years.

Now with regard to paint, I would RARELY recommend it. Why? Once you paint, you will paint for the LIFE of your concrete ... there's no going back!

Sometimes painting is necessary or desired, however.

Sometimes folks decide they want a blue or green or grey hue to their pools ... even black! If the concrete pool already exists, there is only one way to change the color--PAINT!

New construction can come with pigment in the concrete.

Sometimes due to poor maintenance (typically) pools can become so stained that painting is about the only way to make it look sharp again ... assuming all acid washing techniques have been exhausted.

Another reason I don't like painting is that a pool MUST be completely drained for at LEAST a couple of days ... thus, they are like a boat buried in the ground ... subject ground water pressure, etc. I've seen many ugly situations with pools 'floating.'

Sure, hydrostatic valves on the main drain are great, but so many folks fail to get them tested or changed out over time ... when the pool drains is a bad way to find out your hydrostatic valve is working.

For longevity, concrete is the way to go ... total concrete.

For years of beauty and little maintenance, concrete with about 6-9" of a nice ceramic tile and some nice brick coping.

Pools also last a LOT longer when the owners actually caulk their pool decks at least every two years ... but most folks are too cheap to spend a few hundred bucks or so. [The bigger the temperature swings the more important caulking becomes.]

They'd rather spend thousands and thousand every five years on major maintenance!

I never did understand that philosophy!

John Turpin is correct, there are some good products for in water emergency patching as well!

I would recommend looking at them ... then going to the hardware store to find something comparable for half the price!

clancy
07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Brad describes exactly what my friend has; an Anthony pool. The problem she is experiencing is that none of the pool supply houses in the area will sell the mastic. Everyone wants to visit the home and give estimates for doing the job. We need a product we can purchase ourselves at a big box store.

John Turpin
07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Speaking of underwater gunite repairs. Last summer, I decided to patch a small crack on the bottom of the pool that bugged me. It was in the shallow end, so getting to that spot was no big deal. I got out the ole Pool Patch and bobbed from the surface to the bottom repeatedly as I tried to work in that spot. But, my bouyancy prevented me from spending the 'bottom time' that I needed to effectively work the patch plaster into the crack.

I asked the wife for some help. I talked her into standing next to me so that she could plant her foot on my back as I got to the bottom. It worked great. Instead of bobbing right back to the surface, I could stay down for 30 or 60 seconds at a time and started to make some real progress.

It got tricky when the kids walked outside and saw their mother seemingly drowning their father. I would have appreciated a little forceful rescue action from them, but they seemed satisfied to just watch to see if I survived it.

Captain Intrepid
07-22-2009, 01:55 PM
What about 5200? ;)

ccmanuals
07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Actually having a pool installed right now. It's 95% done with just the plaster over the gunite left to go. All the decking (and the wife wanted a huge flagstone deck around it that cost me a fortune :( ).

paladin
07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
and all the above is why I sold the house with the monster in ground pool....and surrounded by 5 acres of trees........

Bill Huson
07-23-2009, 08:29 AM
What strength concrete 5,200psi at 28 days?

Good pools are Gunite - air placed concrete - which is 3 to 5 times stronger than re-enforced poured concrete. Gunite is also used to construct the walls of underwater vehicle tunnels. And a good pool is plastered with white Portland cement and marble dust. Paid my way through college with my summer job - building huge honking commercial pools. Gunite machine operator among other tasks.

ccmanuals
07-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Good pools are Gunite - air placed concrete - which is 3 to 5 times stronger than re-enforced poured concrete. Gunite is also used to construct the walls of underwater vehicle tunnels. And a good pool is plastered with white Portland cement and marble dust. Paid my way through college with my summer job - building huge honking commercial pools. Gunite machine operator among other tasks.

Man, I watched our gunite pool being blown in and it was a slightly windy day to boot. The amount of concrete dust being blown in the air was astounding. I can't figure out how the guys working down in the pool while this was being blown didn't all keel over from loss of oxygen.

brad9798
07-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I use the terms gunite and concrete interchangeably ... although they are, as was pointed out, two different 'things.'

Gunite is typically on about 2x as strong as poured concrete ...

A poured concrete based will be about 3000-3500 psi strength ... with gunite walls of about 6,000-7,000 psi.

For depths over five (5) feet, reinforcement is used in the walls too ... or at least is should be!

Once that is dry, the pools are plastered and hand troweled.

Rum Pirate-

You can use 'regular' concrete for the walls with reinforcement mesh.

It would better and easier to do this in a square or rectangular pool as you could actually use forms for the walls ... like a house foundation!

dhic001
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
There is one other thing worth considering if tiles are coming off, water chemistry. Make sure the owner gets their water checked regularly. Incorrect water balance can mean that the water starts eating things, depending on what is lacking, it may be the grout is being eaten by the water. Worth checking before you go mad fixing tiles, the others might be about to fall off too.
Daniel

danneva
09-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Actually having a pool installed right now. It's 95% done with just the plaster over the gunite left to go. All the decking (and the wife wanted a huge flagstone deck around it that cost me a fortune :( ).

The cost of flagstone (http://swimming-pool-store.com/index.php/Landscape-Design/natural-flagstone-pool-deck.html) pavers is determined by their thickness and size. The thicker the flagstone is then it will cost more to purchase than thinner flagstone pavers. The only issue with the flagstone is that it gets so hot. If you have a saltwater pool you also need to be mindful of the mineral deposits so getting it sealed might factor into the costs.

paul oman
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Reattaching in-water pool tiles happens all the time. Pool chemicals regularly destroy the original bonding material after a few years.

I recommend underwater epoxies for loose pool tiles based upon years of success with customers. no big deal.

OconeePirate
09-09-2010, 01:32 PM
All concrete pool, drained and swept clean? Sounds like fun. Just don't be an a$$ and chain it.

Gerald
09-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I am building a pool. Today I finished plastering the outside walls and when good and dry I will hot tar them.
I plan to put ceramic tile on the entire inside. Tile that are made for swimming pools cost about four times what regular tile coast. They look the same so why the big difference in cost?

OconeePirate
09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Why put tile on a pool? It just goes bumpity bump under your wheels...

brad9798
09-09-2010, 09:54 PM
It really makes it look nice ... and ... finished at the water line!

:)

skuthorp
09-10-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm just having a plunge pool, 4ft across and 5 deep with a solar filter system and a lid. All plastic, an open tank actually. For hot days when the tide is out.

DannaPoolsInc
12-10-2011, 12:48 PM
If you plaster the the pool and put tile around the top edge, it would look much better. |:)

Mrleft8
12-10-2011, 02:48 PM
A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money. A pool is a hole in the ground into which you pour water.... And money.

ahp
12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
When we had our gunnite pool built I chose to have a plaster coating on the inside that is a very dark blue-green, almost black. My reasoning was that it would absorb more sun light, and would extend the season. We do not have a heater. I cannot recall the name of the material that was plastered on, but it comes in a variety of colors. The pool is now six years old and we are satisfied with it.