View Full Version : Is there a word for?

07-21-2009, 07:05 PM
The Anglicization of a foreign name, for instance my friend Ramon call himself "Raymond". I've heard a word for this, but don't know if it's correct not that I remember what it is.

07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Dunno, but I bet everyone loves him.

The Bigfella
07-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Anglicism - although that applies going in the other direction


or Barbarism


Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
07-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Going the other way, from English to French, as I recall, is referred to as Franglai, most often to refer to "loanwords", such as "Walkman", software, email, etc.. In French language class, I was taught that the French have an academy to "approve" French words and language, L'Académie française, and they hate that crap. I think that trying to keep language absolutely pure is about as successful and relevant these days as trying to keep races absolutely pure. But I digress.

07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Anglicization is correct. The Brits spell it Anglicisation. You are becoming more and more American.

I have not been able to find a synonym.

Paul Pless
07-22-2009, 08:12 AM
You are becoming more and more American.the horror!