Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maa. melee
    • Oct 2004

Battery Cables

The battery was removed from the boat without labeling the respective wires. It is a starter battery and is connected to an on/off switch. One cable goes to the engine block. Is the cable that goes to the engine block positive (+) or negative (-)?
  • willmarsh3
    • Sep 2004

The best I can suggest is to look for clues on the starter - is there a + and/or - stamped on it? Then trace the wiring back to the battery. Another idea is to look at the make and model of the starter and find or Google search for a manual that would indicate the polarity of the connections. Or call the manufacturer.

On my boat the ground is - but there are always exceptions.

Good luck.

Will.
    Will

Comment

• kc8pql
      • Sep 2004

In a normal system the negative goes to the engine block.

Comment

• nedL
        Senior Member #1976
        • Jul 2000

Yep, unless you have a real oddball setup (and not to safe) the ground (-) goes to the block, and the hot (+) is switched.

Oh yes, Also the posts on a battery are two different sizes, which makes it a bit difficult to hook things up backwards.

[ 03-24-2006, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: nedL ]

Comment

• George Roberts
          Banned
          • Nov 1999

"Also the posts on a battery are two different sizes, which makes it a bit difficult to hook things up backwards."

A screwdriver will open the small one up so we can put it on the post we want to.

Comment

• boondoc
            • Jan 2005

If you have an ammeter and connect the battery backwards without starting any thing the ammeter will show a positive reading.

Comment

• nedL
              Senior Member #1976
              • Jul 2000

Of course the clamps can be spread to fit on the wrong posts, that's why I wrote "a bit difficult".

Comment

• maa. melee
                • Oct 2004

I picked up an original manual for the boat and it comes with handy wiring diagrams. My clamp holes were widened as mentioned above. The diagrams clearly showed my black wire (AWG 4) went to the block and is (-) or grounded. No white smoke and no sparks...I guess it was right.

Comment

• nedL
                  Senior Member #1976
                  • Jul 2000

Good news

Comment

Working...